Review Round 14, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Oscar is bad but Fort isn't much better

Main advantage with Fort is he can handball without it taking 5 minutes to release the handball
I think for the most part Fort is a better footballer than O. The stats posted above me suggest O is the better ruckman though. I think they are quite even, where the main difference lies for me is that Fort doesn't make the same or as many howlers as Oscar.

I think for the most part Fort is a better footballer than O. The stats posted above me suggest O is the better ruckman though. I think they are quite even, where the main difference lies for me is that Fort doesn't make the same or as many howlers as Oscar.
The long bomb handballs that O does just kill me. He did one near the interchange side of the ground last Friday and there were 3 Swans and no Lions when he did it. Invariably it is always this - just get it away from me, doesnt matter where and i think more often than not that they put us in a worse position.

The long bomb handballs that O does just kill me. He did one near the interchange side of the ground last Friday and there were 3 Swans and no Lions when he did it. Invariably it is always this - just get it away from me, doesnt matter where and i think more often than not that they put us in a worse position.
That is one of the things Harris is probably the best in the league at, seeing there is no good option that he is confident he can hit, accepting he is going to get tackled and doing his best to make sure that he won't get done for HTB. Sometimes I would like to see O (and others) do the exact same thing. I'm all for big punches forward and handballs to clear congestion and get us out into space but they have to be to our advantage.

Yeah Oscar is probably the least agile ruck at the moment

Needs to find a way to give a quick handball

Somewhat strangely I swear this is a new addition to his game, either last year or this. It's almost like a coached behaviour rather than a natural bad habit, but it does seem to invariably end up in a turnover.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder if Darcy will be on AFL360 tonight.....the rising star nominees usually are I think, so had better watch just in case.

I just love this kids enthusiasm and cheekiness.....he'll give his all as long as he's drawing breath. He makes me smile just looking at him.:grinv1:

His attitude is what every club hopes for imo.

He's 14th best at winning hitouts, 20th best rate for those hitouts going to advantage
So, he is just about the worst ruck in the comp then.
Looks like the Lions should have taken over Grundy's contract and bypassed Dunkley.
Edit: You may want to re-check where you got those figures from.

Last edited:
Below taken from the AFL site.
Because Gawn & Grundy share the ruck duties, they are down the lists.

If you choose Hit out Win %, and HO to advantage win %, it changes the list dramatically.
Leading the HO win % is The Bont with 1 from 1 going at 100%
Leading the HO to advantage % is Tom Barrass with 2 from 2 also going at 100%

I don't want to extract that information.
Maybe it is available somewhere, but you would have to be able to specify a minimum of ruck contest to get a better indication.

Edit: CC = Centre Clearances. SC = Stoppage Clearances, TC = Total Clearances
Edit 2: Oscar is number 1 in Ruck Clearances.
More importantly he sits at number 14 in All clearances behind The Bont ranked 1 with 108.
Oscar is in fact 3 clearance ahead of Dunkley 77 to 74

1687249249603.png
1687249321022.png

Last edited:
The same consideration for how our total clearance numbers as a team are high should be applied to Oscar in the ruck.

He is going to have a high number of hitouts, as we have a high number of clearances.

Either way his hitouts strategy is tap it directly to his feet every time. Hence why Parker was able to easily shark him for an almost goal lmao.

The same consideration for how our total clearance numbers as a team are high should be applied to Oscar in the ruck.

He is going to have a high number of hitouts, as we have a high number of clearances.

Either way his hitouts strategy is tap it directly to his feet every time. Hence why Parker was able to easily shark him for an almost goal lmao.
5th in hotouts to advantage.

Back