Game Day Round 15 vs Geelong @ GMHBA/Simonds/Skilled/Baytec/Shell Stadium, 7:20 pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

GDT Template (3).png

Preview

The two most recent premiers have both experienced highs and lows in 2023, with games where they've looked like premiership contenders, followed by games where they've barely looked like finals-calibre teams.

For the Dees, the form line is more favourable – they head into this matchup with 9-4 record following successive victories over Carlton and Collingwood (the latter far more impressive than the former). Geelong on the other hand are in danger of having their season slip away, sitting in 10th with a 6-7 record after losing four of their last five games.

Both teams head into this matchup without their premier midfielder (Oliver for the Dees, Dangerfield for the Cats), but one could argue that Dangerfield—despite being the inferior player at this stage of his career—may be a bigger loss for Geelong due to their lack of midfield depth, which has been a sore spot for them in 2023.

It's a big game for both teams – on form, you'd expect Melbourne to have the edge...if it was at any other stadium.

Teams

1687336426686.png
1687337086918.png

Head to Head

All-time
: Melbourne 88 wins, Geelong 133 wins (two draws)

Last Five Games

1687336848102.png

Recent Form

1687336768620.png

Last edited:
I see the Cats thread has been locked. Would be staggered if Petty didn't start fwd. They've been clear that they're varying the defensive mix based on who is in the opposition team.

I also feel sorry for Tomlinson, dropped after by far his best game in over two years. On the other hand, what's with the hand wringing about him requesting a trade? We already tried to trade him and nobody wanted him. The Dogs were the only suitor, and once they got Lobb and Jones they decided they'd rather not pick up another big contract for a low-yield tall like Bruce post-injury and moved him back.

We owe Tomlinson very little in the way of good will. Collingwood was the first decent team all year to helicopter the ball in and Tomlinson took full advantage in a way that even Lever didn't. Glad he had a great game, but we're building for finals here and if there's no match up for him, why not drop him if Petty has done the body of work at training post bye? That's presuming Petty is anything more than, at best, a defensive swingman if they get on top.

Well looky looky who’s selected as an emergency. Cue the melts and walkbacks from The Clique. 🚌 Beep .. Beep .. Beep
I think Big Benny’s winking at you LordNev! 😉

2B8905DE-2EDA-4C94-9BBF-33BE246E7BED.jpeg

Last edited:

Re Petty coming in rather surprisingly, I wonder if Goody is keen for him and Smith to play in the same side so they can swing forward and back depending on match-ups?

I have a feeling that might be playing a part in his selection but I still would've played him one game back in the VFL after such a long layoff.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Reckon we're a lock.

248482.jpg

I’m fine with Petty in for Tomlinson as long as Petty plays defence with Smith up forward. Tomlinson was solid in our best defensive game as a team in two years. Before the Collingwood game, Tomlinson’s form is garbage and his agility shot. Petty is best 22 and declared fit and a better match up for Cameron and Hawkins.

I’m fine with Petty in for Tomlinson as long as Petty plays defence with Smith up forward. Tomlinson was solid in our best defensive game as a team in two years. Before the Collingwood game, Tomlinson’s form is garbage and his agility shot. Petty is best 22 and declared fit and a better match up for Cameron and Hawkins.

Agree.
Also not expecting Petty to be in top form tonight after a spell. However, his ceiling as a player is considerably higher than Tomlinson’s and that’s why he’s in. Must have our first choice back six humming like a finely tuned BMW 7Series by August.

Disappointing to see Tomlinson dropped after his best performance.
Petty really hasn't been showing a lot in the fwd line, so if he is going back in defense then he needs to have a great 1st up game!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are everyone's favourite memories from Septic Tank Stadium?

I remember walking out of the stadium after Tuohy kicked a goal after the siren to beat us, hearing a piercing screech of frustration and turning around to see a Dees fan punching a truck. It was therapeutic.

I also remember sitting in the pouring rain with the cheer squad behind the goals to watch us kick four goals in 2013 – the highlight though was the sarcastic 'Meeeelllllbbbourne' chant behind the goals and the same Dees fans deliberately waving their massive flags over the next bay for the entire game in order to further drench nearby Geelong supporters. It was the most campaigner-ish conduct I'd seen from Melbourne fans for a long time and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Will be really disappointed if we don't win this, their midfield looks depleted, really should take the advantage there. Still have to tip Geelong, s**t record at KP, we play horribly there. Cmon dees, prove me wrong.

What are everyone's favourite memories from Septic Tank Stadium?

I remember walking out of the stadium after Tuohy kicked a goal after the siren to beat us, hearing a piercing screech of frustration and turning around to see a Dees fan punching a truck. It was therapeutic.

That was actually me :$

Will be really disappointed if we don't win this, their midfield looks depleted, really should take the advantage there. Still have to tip Geelong, s**t record at KP, we play horribly there. Cmon dees, prove me wrong.

Clarry’s continued absence goes a long way to canceling that advantage out.

Can't understand why Spargo was dropped. Was pretty good last week and is one of our few players who consistently look for and hit up targets inside forward 50. Also if Ben Brown is fit enough to be an emergency he should be playing. I know he's not popular with many on this board but he's certainly a better key forward option than Smith. Great to see Petty back. Should definitely play in defence. He's not needed up forward and the 3 tall backline combo of May, Lever and Petty is what has given us arguably the best defence in the competition over recent years. No surprise it's looked so much less effective in his absence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back