AFL Autopsy Round 16 08/07/2018: 16 Point loss to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Smith's tackle was a free to them. He slung to the pinned side. It was right in front of me.

Jude Bolton made a good point: The Magpies player elected not to protect himself with his right arm to break the impact; instead he opted to hold onto the ball at the expense of his head. That’s kind of prior opportunity and casts doubt on how dangerous the tackle actually was.

Edit: already been said.

Last edited:

just speaking facts mate......hes not at afl level....and completly piss..ed me of today with his trying to do it all him self
solid username to IQ rating.

Robbo not happy with Essendons last qrt in his tackle collum tend to agree

Did Robbo also not see one Essendon player stick one tackle?

Robbo is a dunderhead BTW.

All I can say is it was lucky I was suspended till now!
I went too hard over on the Norf Board. But it was worth it!

Seasons over. Let's play the kids.

Merret and Smith were immense!
Heppell layed good.
Langford had an off day. Consistency will come eventually.
Colyer......
Thought McGrath went to another level today. Or should I say he came out of his shell a little bit. Seen some nice stuff. He is starting to believe. However he needs to learn how to tackle like Merrett.

It was nice dreaming of the finals for the last 6 weeks but we now need to get as much game time into the kids.

Also Guelfi should never be dropped! He mopped up a lot of mess today at critical times.

Wish bags could kick more than 30m.

Btw notice the umpiring got better after halftime?! Well that dodgy Collingwood afl umpire sat out the 2nd half. We need to find out his name and add him to "The List"

He's gripe was that we let Pendles,Grundy,Degoey etc run rampart while our mids didn't do anything to combat them
Was he aware that we were one man down for three quarters and Stringer and Myers hobbled with calf injuries or was he too busy drinking?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would've been more irritated if we lost by under a goal given the ridiculous mistake of not taking a shot at the end of the 3rd quarter by McKernan. Amateur decision making like this and other plentiful mistakes today are why he will never be more than a break glass option.

No excuses, but hardly surprising we didn't run out the game well given the injuries and lack of legs in the midfield.

Bombers Patrick Ambrose (hamstring), Jake Stringer (leg) and David Myers (calf) all had issues throughout Sunday's MCG clash, while Orazio Fantasia was a late withdrawal due to a groin niggle.

"Losing Ambrose early, and Stringer was carrying a leg pretty much that whole second half but stayed out there for us, and Myers got a kick in the calf as well, which left him hobbling, but we needed him to keep going through the midfield because we'd lost (Matt) Guelfi to have to play back.

"Ambrose has done a hamstring. Stringer, very tight calf. We're not really sure. It was really limiting him but he gutsed it out for us and did what he could. Myers was a kick in the calf, I think. You don't know what damage that's done, so we'll have to assess that later."

if jake long ever plays for our senior team again...ill go ape sh..t....he basically cost us our run on and proberbly the game with being caught with the ball 3 times and giving away free kicks that resulted in at least 2 goal....he plays for him self and could of off loaded the ball to guys in better position but chose to try and take on the man......he is not anything or as good as his dad.....hes being played for that reason i think......and for anyone who wants to attack my post...i was there ...front row....saw them right in front of me.....absolute cork of a footballer
Did the ‘It happened right in front of me’ guy switch from the Crows to us????

Thought hooker was fantastic today, as was devon. We played quite well for the first 3 quarters, but fell away in the last quarter unfortunately. Very flat tonight after it ends our finals hopes.

Our free kick stats over the last 3 weeks are 45 frees for, 80 against. That's shocking on our behalf, we need to ask the umpiring department what we are doing wrong. That 50 call on goddard was one of the most insanely ridiculous decisions I've seen. Oh and the sling tackle call against us was absolute horse s**t, as was the free kick pendlebury got for holding the man, when he sctually had the ball.

You left out the 540 degree turn with ball in hand and arms free that was not paid holding the ball on the members wing Q1 (or2?)

Thoughts on today:

Vline should run more than two carriages on trains from and to Seymour...especially when somebody spews in one of the two carriages!

Guelfi was good again, burst through a few contests. Still prone to bombing the ball.

That had to be Hurleys worst game, chalk it up to a nightmare. He has a rubber chest!

Long played an awesome game. A good link up option through the ground with good field kicking. Intercepted a few opponent inside 50s. Really impressed with the kid. Really happy with his inclusion.

Langford continues to build, actually using his body in the contest.

Lastly, David Myers on several occasions today and last week hovered in a contest and let a guy like McGrath burrow in with his head over it! David please!

Controversial view but i think the umpiring was better and we even got some ridiculous calls go our way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back