AFL Autopsy Round 16 08/07/2018: 16 Point loss to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

No. They were injured in the game. He also moved Guelfi back after Ambrose injury so we lost a rotation through the middle.

Stringer hasn't had much midfield time in the last three weeks so wouldn't surprise if he's been carrying something.

Very frustrating game. Horrible umpiring and some really dumb decision making and executing when we were going forward. Just never got our game going and got too little from too many (Myers, Langford, McNiece, Stringer and Colyer especially), but the positive is that despite that our defence held up apart from two patches in the first and the last.

I'm surprised at the hard time Long is getting on here. Was really impressed with his first half - got involved a lot and showed a lot of endeavour and composure. Went missing in the second half and made a couple errors but definitely something to work with.

What could he have done if he released the ball? Put his hand down and potentially break his wrist whilst not actually protecting his head at all. The side he was slung to was the side where his arm was pinned. 100% a free against Smith
If he'd released the ball it would have been HTB - incorrect disposal. It's not the umpire's job to speculate about whether or not he'd break his wrist if he'd let go of the ball. Fact is that he didn't and didn't make any attempt to prevent danger.

So we could possibly have no Stringer,Myers and Fantasia against Gold Coast

Cant this season just end already

Enjoy it as a chance for some more depth to get exposed to big time

What could he have done if he released the ball? Put his hand down and potentially break his wrist whilst not actually protecting his head at all. The side he was slung to was the side where his arm was pinned. 100% a free against Smith
Nah, he had an arm free and had every chance to protect himself. Was a shocking call

Stringer hasn't had much midfield time in the last three weeks so wouldn't surprise if he's been carrying something.

Very frustrating game. Horrible umpiring and some really dumb decision making and executing when we were going forward. Just never got our game going and got too little from too many (Myers, Langford, McNiece, Stringer and Colyer especially), but the positive is that despite that our defence held up apart from two patches in the first and the last.

I'm surprised at the hard time Long is getting on here. Was really impressed with his first half - got involved a lot and showed a lot of endeavour and composure. Went missing in the second half and made a couple errors but definitely something to work with.
if jake long ever plays for our senior team again...ill go ape sh..t....he basically cost us our run on and proberbly the game with being caught with the ball 3 times and giving away free kicks that resulted in at least 2 goal....he plays for him self and could of off loaded the ball to guys in better position but chose to try and take on the man......he is not anything or as good as his dad.....hes being played for that reason i think......and for anyone who wants to attack my post...i was there ...front row....saw them right in front of me.....absolute cork of a footballer

Nah, he had an arm free and had every chance to protect himself. Was a shocking call

As with a fair few of the calls today, the interpretation went against the actual spirit/intention of the rule.

The contact below the knees one in front of goal, that is a textbook example of what the rule was brought in for and I was pretty surprised they paid it.

Your right.

As shown by the Richmond, Carlton, Hawthorn and ANZAC day games, dump kicking it to a wall of opposition players lined up across the middle of the ground is a far more effective option.
Well its not fabulous, but compared with giving them a set shot from 25 m out dead in front...?

Feels like when we got tackled well our instinct is to still try get the ball free, often getting pinged for a throw or drop. When they got tackled well they hold it in to halve the contest (or force an in the back or too high)
Yes just so. Of course there are situations where its better to spill the ball loose . But deep defence or midfield corridor isn't necessarily the case . Unless you know we have the numbers just take the tackle and force the ball up. Hepp is among the worst at this , just too willing to spill it loose. Of course its easier to do when the umps let you have an eternity in this situation (ie Collingwood) but don't interpret it the same way for us.

4th year in the system to be fair. 5 clangers today.
4 frees against. One of which was utter crap. Two of which were because he took the game on. His disposal was excellent. Give it time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your right.

As shown by the Richmond, Carlton, Hawthorn and ANZAC day games, dump kicking it to a wall of opposition players lined up across the middle of the ground is a far more effective option.
It's laughable people don't see it. I guess you can hear it every week "Just kick it, just kick it... oh why'd he kick it there for!"

if jake long ever plays for our senior team again...ill go ape sh..t....he basically cost us our run on and proberbly the game with being caught with the ball 3 times and giving away free kicks that resulted in at least 2 goal....he plays for him self and could of off loaded the ball to guys in better position but chose to try and take on the man......he is not anything or as good as his dad.....hes being played for that reason i think......and for anyone who wants to attack my post...i was there ...front row....saw them right in front of me.....absolute cork of a footballer
Christ almighty. I’d rather watch Long play football in the firsts every week than read your abortion of a post

It's laughable people don't see it. I guess you can hear it every week "Just kick it, just kick it... oh why'd he kick it there for!"
Of all the free kicks a player can give away, getting caught HTB while trying to break from a contest is the least frustrating.

At least they are being positive. Hack kicks off half back do nothing to help 98% of the time

I thought the committment today was pretty much all we'd ask for. lots to like about the game we played overall, but as usual just the glaring instances that show we lack footy smarts. So for eg, Hooker and TBC trying to mark from the back and letting a much smaller player take a pack mark and kick a crucial goal, 3 flying and leaving us outnumbered on the deck, multiple players being drawn to the ball carrier and leaving the easy handball out. I know other teams do this, but we just do it too often. Yeah there were some turnovers by foot, but didn't think we were that bad in that way today- look at every game and you'll find these , Hawthorn possibly only exception.

Of all the free kicks a player can give away, getting caught HTB while trying to break from a contest is the least frustrating.

At least they are being positive. Hack kicks off half back do nothing to help 98% of the time
Well depends where you are. Players need awareness. If you're 20 out from opposition goal and in heavy traffic, hoofing it 40-50 metres toward the half back flank is usually a better option than trying to be cute and giving up an easy set shot.

Thought hooker was fantastic today, as was devon. We played quite well for the first 3 quarters, but fell away in the last quarter unfortunately. Very flat tonight after it ends our finals hopes.

Our free kick stats over the last 3 weeks are 45 frees for, 80 against. That's shocking on our behalf, we need to ask the umpiring department what we are doing wrong. That 50 call on goddard was one of the most insanely ridiculous decisions I've seen. Oh and the sling tackle call against us was absolute horse s**t, as was the free kick pendlebury got for holding the man, when he sctually had the ball.

Jake Long playing today was one of the most utterly pathetic coaching moves I have ever seen, he is hopeless.
You’re coming across as more of a fulltimehero with this finger-pointing bullshit. Jake wasn’t why we lost. Targeting scapegoats is pissweak. It was his first game in a very long time and he was caught out a couple of times. There are so many players out there who fail to get involved in a game. In his first game back he was well involved. A definite pass... and picking him after consistently good performances in the 2s is absolutely the right thing to do.

About 10 of his "good" disposals he put us under pressure. A perfect example of where the stats can get it completely wrong.

On the contrary, most were effective, think around 90%. You’re focusing too much on the 2-3 times he got caught, which for a fourth gamer is not unusual

Being at the game, Jake was very good today. Showed promise and was in great position for most of the day.

Sure, he had a crucial HTB against him, but as some others have said, he was taking the game on and trying to create. I'll take that any day.

This is one of those games where we did most things well and right.... but tough when they bring in another umpire to make sure that we don't win games.

41-85 in the last three weeks against. They are a disgusting blight on this game and do everything in their power to ruin any spectacle or build up... preferring to make it all about them.

This may have been said already, but it’s an absolute disgrace that we don’t have full time umpires that actually train during the week to avoid the type of s**t show we had today.

It’s a hard game to umpire but we have essentialy amateurs who have no idea how to fairy interpret the rules.

I wish someone would come out and give them the serve they deserve because it’s killing my enjoyment of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back