Review Round 16, 2017 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably indicative that we don't have what Fagan wants. I doubt Cedric will offer much. In the games I've seen from him he plays very wide, and much like Paparone is almost afraid of body contact. Still young but don't know if his current traits suit the pressure forward role.

I don't see him becoming a pressure forward either but have definitely seen good improvement in his defensive game, in particular is tackling. For mine he needs to land more every game but he's come a long way. Agree he and Paparone share the same positions - back flank - center - forward flank.

When Cox made his debut, he spoke about his role in providing defensive pressure. I think if you play in the forward half of the ground, you've got to perform that part of the role. I'd really like to see Cox develop into that high half forward role. A bit like Aker, if he can be wide/forward of stoppages, he could be really damaging.

Bad luck tonight. Think there was a few glimpses of the future though.

Midfield and key forward are coming along nicely for you.

Future very very bright
Really dont care what you think. You got the arm chair ride you were looking when you dumped the Lions.

Really dont care what you think. You got the arm chair ride you were looking when you dumped the Lions.
A bit harsh there BB, IIRC lionbear explained his/her decision to support the Cats quite eloquently, not something I could ever imagine doing it's the Lions or no one for me but each to their own IMO.

Having family and work comitments, plus living 1,600km from the Gabba sadly takes a toll.

You dumped the Lions after 28 years of supporting them!

I know you're still liked around here.... and you seem like a nice bloke.... but I just see turncoat whenever you post now.

The last thing I want to see is you posting multiple times in our thread with your sympathy after your new team belts us.

I know I'm being a bit of a flog and acting too tribal.... just how I feel

Last edited:
A bit harsh there BB, IIRC lionbear explained his/her decision to support the Cats quite eloquently, not something I could ever imagine doing it's the Lions or no one for me but each to their own IMO.
I know Im being harsh.
And feel a bit stupid for it...... but seriously..... I dont want to hear from him after his team belts us.

...and I dont think LionBear would have left if it was Geelong on the bottom and the Lion still a top 4 team.

It got hard and he left. Lots of people do it. Just dont expect a rusted on supporter like me to like it..... and definatley dont expect me to respect it.

Irrational BrizzyBandit over.

I know Im being harsh.
And feel a bit stupid for it...... but seriously..... I dont want to hear from him after his team belts us.

...and I dont think LionBear would have left if it was Geelong on the bottom and the Lion still a top 4 team.

It got hard and he left. Lots of people do it. Just dont expect a rusted on supporter like me to like it..... and definatley dont expect me to respect it.

Everyone is different in the ways that they support their team. For some it's a family tradition or the something they un-waveringly stick with but for others it's not that way - especially when geography is taken into consideration.

For me, I felt the Geelong game was a kick in the guts for the team and the supporters, especially after a glimmer of light against the Bombers. We have been down now for far too long, the emotions are raw and the whole club is trying desperately to rise up the ladder.

Love your passion BrizzyBandit. Go Lions!

I know Im being harsh.

You should feel stupid for it. And you are. Lionbear was there for plenty of hard times before and after our successes. And it should be quite obvious he will always retain a soft spot for us.

It'd be different if you weren't just basing your comments on your own incorrect assumptions. While I'm disappointed he made the change, I know the circumstances for it. Perhaps it's because I made the same choice for similar reasons in the early 90s despite growing up a Carlton supporter that I can empathise.

You don't want to hear from him due to your own inadequacies, put him on ignore as it's obvious you're personally offended by it. But your reactions are just ugly.

So? Your teams your team. Must have never beem a true supporter. How can you just switch that off inside you? We could be playing on the moon and losing everyweek and id be a die hard. I live in Melbourne.
I can understand picking up Geelong as a second team when you are so far away but can not understand him dropping off a team after 28 years. Wierd

I lived overseas in Japan for more than 5 years, with no idea at that time when I'd ever return, and never once did I consider switching teams. If anything, it made my passion for the Lions even stronger.

That's a little different, as there wasn't a Japan Jets to go see each week.

Think Skinner is getting close but Richmond do not play tall so maybe Allison or Cox (away for a couple of weeks on leave though I think)
I would imagine we will go a little shorter this week.
But the fact that Walker didnt play the majority of the game on the weekend then it may be pretty much the same.
Walker out - in Schache
Hammer out - in Keays or Allison
Bewick out - in Cox or Barrett
Be tempted to replace Archie as well. Maybe with a smaller speedier type.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You should feel stupid for it. And you are. Lionbear was there for plenty of hard times before and after our successes. And it should be quite obvious he will always retain a soft spot for us.

It'd be different if you weren't just basing your comments on your own incorrect assumptions. While I'm disappointed he made the change, I know the circumstances for it. Perhaps it's because I made the same choice for similar reasons in the early 90s despite growing up a Carlton supporter that I can empathise.

You don't want to hear from him due to your own inadequacies, put him on ignore as it's obvious you're personally offended by it. But your reactions are just ugly.
Well said, and not to mention the work LB put into this very forum, over the years.
A lot more respect is definitely due, than the carry on from posters like BrizzyBandit on this occasion.

Knew they were ugly. But I had to say it none the less. Totally respect your post though.

Well said, and not to mention the work LB put into this very forum, over the years.
A lot more respect is definitely due, than the carry on from posters like BrizzyBandit on this occasion.
I know LB is a good guy.... I even said so.
Just needed to get that out. I'm normally never rude or disrespectful to anyone....

But I dont regret saying it. We need every bloody member we can get. Every year I am giving more and more to the club because people keep bloody leaving. I dont understand it for any reason. Footy isnt life or death....

The team you barrack for doesnt determine your social standing... and definatley shouldnt define your relationships.... So why jump ship?

Just seemed so disloyal to me right at our lowest point.

I read his explanation also at the time, but never understood it. He chose the Lions despite his family.... and rode our success to premiership glory and one of the greatest dynasties.... So why leave? Did his family not love him anymore? Was he placed in the outer? If so I feel for him..... but if not.... why leave?

He could of stilll gone to Geelong games and loved barracking for them with his family and enjoyed the banter when the Lions csme to town.
I could never uproot my heart for the Lions...... they dont define anything about me.... I just love them.... And dont understand people who move around. Full stop.

I know LB is a good guy.... I even said so.
Just needed to get that out. I'm normally never rude or disrespectful to anyone....

But I dont regret saying it. We need every bloody member we can get. Every year I am giving more and more to the club because people keep bloody leaving. I dont understand it for any reason. Footy isnt life or death....

The team you barrack for doesnt determine your social standing... and definatley shouldnt define your relationships.... So why jump ship?

Just seemed so disloyal to me right at our lowest point.

I read his explanation also at the time, but never understood it. He chose the Lions despite his family.... and rode our success to premiership glory and one of the greatest dynasties.... So why leave? Did his family not love him anymore? Was he placed in the outer? If so I feel for him..... but if not.... why leave?

He could of srill gone to Geelong games and loved barracking for them.... but I could never uproot my heart for the Lions because they dont define anything about me.... I just love them.... And dont understand pwople who move around.
I agree with what you are saying. I've been a long time reader of this forum but rarely post and I always loved reading the stuff lionbear had to offer over the years and certainly respect him as a poster, but you never change teams. I've grown up with a bombers supporting extended family constantly trying to bring me to the dark side (mind you there would have been temptations these last 10 years considering how insipid brisbane have been in every aspect) but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Born a lion die a lion.

We've gone over this before. Some of us (me included) changed teams due to a local team entering the comp. The same would be true for thousands of Brisbane and Sydney based Aussie Rules supporters when the Swans moved to Sydney and the Bears started up. I'd imagine there are an awful lot of West Coast, Adelaide, Freo and Port supporters who had a "VFL" team prior to their local team coming into the national comp. This board is hardly the place to bag someone for deciding to support their local team instead of a club thousands of kms away. By bagging lionbear, you effectively are having a crack at us.

It might be hard to understand for someone who has supported the one team for their whole lives and who have a family tradition supporting the same side. But the world has changed. It isn't the same 10 Victorian based clubs that have been in the comp for 70 years. With change comes uncertainty and I think we can just accept that people may shift allegiances, particularly when personal circumstances change. I'd prefer that lionbear stayed a Lions supporter but his decision has zero impact on me and very little impact on the club.

Let's not be too judgemental. This is supposed to be a fun past-time, after all.

I would imagine we will go a little shorter this week.
But the fact that Walker didnt play the majority of the game on the weekend then it may be pretty much the same.
Walker out - in Schache
Hammer out - in Keays or Allison
Bewick out - in Cox or Barrett
Be tempted to replace Archie as well. Maybe with a smaller speedier type.
Or give big oscar a go in place of archie ( if we are able to upgrade him)

Back