Autopsy Round 16, 2018: Port Adelaide v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is that mind boggling? We chose to play them in Tassie each year for a while. And now I think we probably request to play them away, seeing as our crowds against interstate sides in Melbourne are pretty poor. All that really means is that we generally have only played Port once a year for a long time.
We dont request to play them interstate. Richo and Hinkley have a joke between about us never playing them in Melbourne.

Between 2009-2018, we have only played them in Melbourne twice - in 2010 when we also played them in Adelaide and 2013. Richo has never coached a game at Etihad against Port. It should be unacceptable from the AFL to allow this to happen.

Change Dunstan to Ross and i'm with you!
Easily our most valuable trade asset. We have to improve our hand at the top end of the draft!
The way i see it, seb has the most value. Perfect opportunity imo to get some much needed class to the club.

Realise this is not a popular call. But we are going nowhere with him in our engine room. Must sell now whilst price is strangely high.
Im with you. Gut the list and start rebuild v2 with new coaches, a handful of really good youth and build around them through the top end of the draft for the next few years. Alot of our players arnt even afl standard and will be delisted soon.
We really need to get some good quality list development people in place pronto.

Im with you. Gut the list and start rebuild v2 with new coaches, a handful of really good youth and build around them through the top end of the draft for the next few years. Alot of our players arnt even afl standard and will be delisted soon.
We really need to get some good quality list development people in place pronto.
Oh man do you know how many times we have done this, but i think you're right our list is putrid

So who built the list that fell to pieces?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was he the list manager and recruiter? I would say that Malthouse got his half rebuilt list and had Judd, Kruiser, Murphy, Gibbs, Kade Simpson and plenty of other quality players. SOS came in and pretty much sacked every other player on the list other than the best of the seniors and stacked with new kids from the draft and GWS recycled players. They have turned over a huge amount of their list in a short period.

Change Dunstan to Ross and i'm with you!
Easily our most valuable trade asset. We have to improve our hand at the top end of the draft!
The way i see it, seb has the most value. Perfect opportunity imo to get some much needed class to the club.

Realise this is not a popular call. But we are going nowhere with him in our engine room. Must sell now whilst price is strangely high.

You realise we are terrible at drafting and if you sell your car to gamble on getting a better car at the pokies it's not a very solid plan?

We dont request to play them interstate. Richo and Hinkley have a joke between about us never playing them in Melbourne.

Between 2009-2018, we have only played them in Melbourne twice - in 2010 when we also played them in Adelaide and 2013. Richo has never coached a game at Etihad against Port. It should be unacceptable from the AFL to allow this to happen.

We have always requested the lower drawing interstate clubs away because it used to cost us a fortune to put these games on for 10,000 people. Etihad cost us a a few wins through their stadium deal.

Ah, but they don’t do it with Membrey.
Who is, to date, the more dangerous forward.
Plus the double/triple teaming is still true when Paddy is not playing deep.
So the question still remains: why are the oppo playing him 2/1 or 3/1?

Because we are dumb.

Over 40 % of Sydney’s score 9 goals were generated by bombing the ball in McVeigh , Rampe , Grundy
rebounding the ball in the 1st quarter .The season is about learning going forward .
Pretty clear we ain’t learning bombing away , kicking close to boundary line crap tactic & handball
unnecessarily when not required.

In all honesty expected to get belted by Port over there particularly with those team selections.

The frustration for me is Richo , to criticise Austin ( twice ) in the post match is unforgivable.
Played on Kennedy for mine did more than capable job in Perth.
Played on Dixon for mine did again good job Dixon kicked goals when game was over period.

If he wants to point things out it’s done internally you support your player always.

Because we pull our other Forwards up the ground to compete at stoppages and also refuse to use them when by themselves, this has been highlighted on a couple footy shows and every one knows we will just kick to top of goal square. Very easy side to coach against
That’s a generalisation.
Look at Paddy’s movement.
He spends a significant time out of the square.
Unlike Jack Hawkins for example.
Battles goal in the last at GC is entirely due to Paddy being up the ground, on the wing, and not in the square.
Paddy moves more than Plugger ever did.
If he didn’t, and was a stay at home forward, then I’d absolutely agree.
But that’s not the case.
He is more mobile than people credit.

We have always requested the lower drawing interstate clubs away because it used to cost us a fortune to put these games on for 10,000 people. Etihad cost us a a few wins through their stadium deal.
That differential is ridiculous. No club would request to play one particular team away that frequently. Also strange how we have only had a double up against them once in the past decade.

And the stadium deal theory doesn't make sense considering we regularly play other low drawing clubs at Etihad. Its frustrating because we would have beaten them last year if it was at Etihad. And I'm sure there were other games throughout there where it cost us.

Despite displaying plenty of spirit and plenty of effort, the Saints ultimately lacked the necessary polish to upset the Power at the Adelaide Oval on Saturday. Having lost a number of forward options to injury during the week, it was no surprise that it was an inability to finish that ultimately cost them dearly. After displaying elite conversion against Melbourne, with 18 goals from 50 forward entries, it took them 22 inside 50’s before scoring their opening major against Port Adelaide.
https://pinchhittersoz.com.au/2018/07/08/saints-summary-abrupt-end-to-win-streak-in-adelaide/

That’s a generalisation.
Look at Paddy’s movement.
He spends a significant time out of the square.
Unlike Jack Hawkins for example.
Battles goal in the last at GC is entirely due to Paddy being up the ground, on the wing, and not in the square.
Paddy moves more than Plugger ever did.
If he didn’t, and was a stay at home forward, then I’d absolutely agree.
But that’s not the case.
He is more mobile than people credit.
Sorry I disagree
If we talking a forward to work up and down the ground then Bruce is a better option and forward Line of Bruce Membrey and Battle would be much better
Watch him once the ball is 3 meters away he has no mobility to apply forward pressure
I struggling to think of a Forward who applies less forward pressure then Paddy

Last edited:
What do you think?
I really don’t know.
It’s got me baffled because I could see the sense of 2/1 or 3/1 from an oppo perspective if he was the dominant forward.
But he is not dominant.
On his form to date, why would any oppo bother?
Really, you’d be better double teaming Membrey or Gresham if score prevention was the goal.

And given the oppo focus on Paddy, you’d think that would allow our other forwards to get off the chain.
Unfortunately, we’ve only been smart enough to have a functioning forward line once this year, in the last Melbourne game, so that’s not happened.

The only explanation I can see is that his function is structural, the oppo see him/his role as the keystone in our fwd 50 and fear allowing him space.
Because that would make our other forwards more dangerous.

You know: based on his form to date, that’s really a weakness in their thinking, not ours.

To me Paddy looks to be overthinking it. He's playing in his head instead of on instinct. The weight of expectation is crushing him. He's been improving but yesterday was a big step back.
Disagree completely, no forward can compete with that kind of ball movement, when I watch forwards I look if they can get off their man, he consistently does, and we miss him constantly.

As you were. J

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry I disagree
If we talking a forward to work up and down the ground then Bruce is a better option and forward Line of Bruce Membrey and Battle would be much better
Watch him once the ball is 3 meters away he has no mobility to apply forward pressure
I struggling to think of a Forward who applies less forward pressure then Paddy
But that’s not what I’m on about.
Whether Paddy is better offensively or defensively than Bruce is not relevant.
With Bruce in the team, Paddy is still the go to for the oppo defenders.
I’m asking why oppo man Paddy 2/1 and 3/1.
His form doesn’t deserve it.

And you can argue that his form is poor because he is constantly double / triple teamed.

Just my opinion but I don't believe it's Paddy they are triple teaming more setting up a team defence because we are so predictable with kicking it top of square no matter who is there. I would say if it was Bruce there and not Paddy that Bruce would get double and triple team because of our game plan and how we bomb to top of goal square

I really don’t know.
It’s got me baffled because I could see the sense of 2/1 or 3/1 from an oppo perspective if he was the dominant forward.
But he is not dominant.
On his form to date, why would any oppo bother?
Really, you’d be better double teaming Membrey or Gresham if score prevention was the goal.

And given the oppo focus on Paddy, you’d think that would allow our other forwards to get off the chain.
Unfortunately, we’ve only been smart enough to have a functioning forward line once this year, in the last Melbourne game, so that’s not happened.

The only explanation I can see is that his function is structural, the oppo see him/his role as the keystone in our fwd 50 and fear allowing him space.
Because that would make our other forwards more dangerous.

You know: based on his form to date, that’s really a weakness in their thinking, not ours.
Simple. They 2-1 or 3-1 v Paddy because that’s where we kick it. 50% of the time they just use the extra/s to intercept mark it. Works a treat. We keep doing it, so the taller defenders just roll off their men & fill the hole.... Voila! An intercept Mark & bang - slingshot through the guts for a goal.

We’ve been doing it for 4 years. It’s disgusting we’ve let it go on for so long

paddy bashing after last night is ridiculous. We couldn't get the ball out of our backline (or win it out of the centre), when we finally did port were set up perfectly. All our goals came from crumbs or from hitting up armo. Membrey got one over the back from our one fast play. In that same play mccartin lead towards gresham which opened the hole for membrey to lead back into, the kind of stuff he does heaps that goes unnoticed. Gresh could have given it to either but chose the better option.

The reason all our goals were from crumbs or opportunistic moments is because we were incredibly slow going forward. It would have been a tall ask for any player to have marked those high balls in.

If mccartin's so crap, why didn't membrey kick more than his 1? He's a proven forward. The last few weeks paddy's played his role very well without kicking a bag. People need to lay off.

Last edited:
Simple. They 2-1 or 3-1 v Paddy because that’s where we kick it. 50% of the time they just use the extra/s to intercept mark it. Works a treat. We keep doing it, so the taller defenders just roll off their men & fill the hole.... Voila! An intercept Mark & bang - slingshot through the guts for a goal.

We’ve been doing it for 4 years. It’s disgusting we’ve let it go on for so long
Take the Geelong games this year we let Stewart do it all day

Just my opinion but I don't believe it's Paddy they are triple teaming more setting up a team defence because we are so predictable with kicking it top of square no matter who is there. I would say if it was Bruce there and not Paddy that Bruce would get double and triple team because of our game plan and how we bomb to top of goal square
Okay, that’s more logical.

paddy bashing after last night is ridiculous. We couldn't get the ball out of our backline (or win it out of the centre), when we finally did port were set up perfectly. All our goals came from crumbs or from hitting up armo. Membrey got one over the back from our one fast play. In that same play mccartin lead towards gresham which filled the hole for membrey to lead back into, the kind of stuff he does heaps that goes unnoticed. Gresh could have given it to either but chose the better option.

The reason all our goals were from crumbs or opportunistic moments is because we were incredibly slow going forward. It would have been a tall ask for any player to have marked those high balls in.

If mccartin's so crap, why didn't membrey kick more than his 1? He's a proven forward. The last few weeks paddy's played his role very well without kicking a bag. People need to lay off.
Membrey would be kicking more goals if paddy wasnt in the team. He gets in skunks way and the team bomb it towards him.
Sorry Paddy is not afl standard and he doesnt deserve to be selected every week. He actually hasnt done anything to justify his selection all year. He just gets gifted games ahead of others that really would have a better chance of success if they were getting more afl experience.

You realise we are terrible at drafting and if you sell your car to gamble on getting a better car at the pokies it's not a very solid plan?
What can i say Gringo my man. Never really been a solid plan kinda guy!
Come to think of it, my cars have been getting progressively worse the last 20 yrs!.....:confounded:

Still think Ross aint the guy we need/want leading our midfield. Or much worse leading the club....:frowning:

Membrey would be kicking more goals if paddy wasnt in the team. He gets in skunks way and the team bomb it towards him.
Sorry Paddy is not afl standard and he doesnt deserve to be selected every week. He actually hasnt done anything to justify his selection all year. He just gets gifted games ahead of others that really would have a better chance of success if they were getting more afl experience.

I'm a self confessed Paddy bashing a-hole but he's been getting better until this week. Bruce being out has given him continuity and lots of key forwards were s**t early on. Might as well just keep playing him to see either way. He's either going to be serviceable or a bust.

What can i say Gringo my man. Never really been a solid plan kinda guy!
Come to think of it, my cars have been getting progressively worse the last 20 yrs!.....:confounded:

Still think Ross aint the guy we need/want leading our midfield. Or much worse leading the club....:frowning:

He's a good third or fourth wheel but not really a prime mover. We might as well keep him and add to the pool.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back