Review Round 18, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. North Melbourne

Who were your five best players against North Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I filled up watching Ritchie's kid before the game. The ball was almost as long as his little legs but he showed it who was boss. Already a lethal left kick.

I think its the first time this season i've watched the after game 'show'. Lyons spoke really well and the hosts were raving about Richy's kids. And the kids in the background having a blast. Until the falcon on the small girl... shame about that :eek:

I expected Norf fans to be salty (I would be too, tbf) but lmao at the eagles fans on the main board thread having a go at the umpiring.

At the end of the day, good result for both Norf and us - we get the win and it doesn't cost them as they weren't going to make the 8 anyway, and they get to continue weaving elaborate conspiracy theories ahead of another irrelevant trade period.

Far out even afl game day got a snippet of the afl stating the free was incorrect. What about the bloody block call on big O.
What? Because it wasnt an incorrect decision with 2mins left?

Far out even afl game day got a snippet of the afl stating the free was incorrect. What about the bloody block call on big O.
What? Because it wasnt an incorrect decision with 2mins left?

Looks like we only won by 6 then. Percentage just took a very small hit. ;)

Just out of interest, did the AFL also say it was incorrect when they paid the same fee against Hodge, or does that not count because... reasons...

Looks like we only won by 6 then. Percentage just took a very small hit. ;)

Just out of interest, did the AFL also say it was incorrect when they paid the same fee against Hodge, or does that not count because... reasons...

Just heard the news about the AFL Umpiring Department rushing out a release calling the decision wrong.

Apparently that was the only "wrong" decision in a match that appeared to be riddled by wrongness.

I am reveling in the further information to hand, that it was my old mate Leigh Fisher that rode to the Lions rescue with this only "wrong" decision of the entire match.

Oh the ironing:D

AFL statement this morning is the the free to oscar should not have been paid.

Next time we get done by a bad call I'll put my hand up and say fair on grounds of swings and roundabouts cause being second now is the best feeling in footy since the miracle on grass. For me.

Nothing about the dubious one against Oscar? I'm guessing not....

Anyone with technical nous able to upload the free against Oscar as well as the minute or so of the commentators trashing the decision?

Would be handy to have. ;)

Might also want to grab some footage in the last 3 or so minutes of Jarryd Lyons having a Norf playing riding his jumper like a waterski rope as Lyons tried to run onto the loose ball inside 50.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poster on the Norf board saying they are being unfairly punished by the umps for playing the game the proper tough/hard way. Such martyr syndrome.

They might want to look at the contested footy stats to see who was doing the hard stuff better.

Last edited:
West Coast aside, North have had the best run of free kicks over the last 15 years. (source)

ne4a81cfsZHkbigU_roWlHhWeCdLCEOoIOc1k-SclDw.jpg

They're not accustomed to the free kicks not going their way it seems.

Poster on the Norf board saying they are being unfairly punished by the umps for playing the game the proper tough/hard way. Such martyr syndrome.

They might want to look at the contested footy stats to see who was doing the hard stuff better.

Norf bigfooty posters have as bad a tough-guy complex as the more deranged melbourne bigfooty posters. It's really, really weird.

I suppose if Cunnington was on my team I'd have to construct an elaborate fantasy to cover the fact that he's a thuggish sniper. Great player though.

I sympathise with the North Board. I think ours would look exactly the same if that free was paid against us. '

What they are ignoring with the overall FK count is.. they openly went out to target our bodies, make it a contested game and stop our spread. That means body checking, late hits, scragging jumpers and lots of tackling. We had 30 more contested possessions - 30 times we got to the ball first which dramatically increases the chances of them then (especially given their hands on style) giving away a free. Its just suck a simple minded, unintelligent approach to say.. more frees = cheating.

The Ben Brown one by the absolute letter of the law was there, but it was still a HUGE call to give it to them infant of goal. In addition the McCarthy holding the man decision, when we were otherwise out and heading goalward was garbage, that led to a goal to them.

Yes, it sucks for them. But they can rest easy knowing when everything is said and done... the better team won last night.

West Coast aside, North have had the best run of free kicks over the last 15 years. (source)

ne4a81cfsZHkbigU_roWlHhWeCdLCEOoIOc1k-SclDw.jpg

They're not accustomed to the free kicks not going their way it seems.

My 3 year old was scared to poop on the toilet, so we did a reward chart where he got a marshmallow for doing it. Now 6 months on he thinks he is still entitled to one each time. The tantrums are very analogous.

My 3 year old was scared to poop on the toilet, so we did a reward chart where he gets a marshmallow each time. Now 6 months on he thinks he is still entitled to one each time.
I can see this being brought up in the wedding speech.

Now Andrew Stafford is copping it on the North board for not mentioning free kick controversies in his match report. One guy is boycotting his new book as a result (his loss, it’s a beautiful read).

Another one called Stafford a Lions diehard fanboy. We’re talking about a writer here who is such a Collingwood fan that his recently released memoirs have a large magpie on the front cover.

Such random, unfocussed sprays of vitriol. I know the mods want us to focus on our own backyard but their board is really something else. Just pathologically fascinating.

It's not the players fault, but I figure those putrid excuses for umpires don't have instagram accounts, and for a very good reason.
Oh ok we gonna blame the umpires are we. Why do we always look at the last few minutes that you reckon cost the game. Tell me how you think about the Jamie Macmillan simple mark that he dropped in the goal square that cost YOU ONE GOAL. Any thought this may have influenced you losing the game as well. Fair dinkum.

My 3 year old was scared to poop on the toilet, so we did a reward chart where he got a marshmallow for doing it. Now 6 months on he thinks he is still entitled to one each time. The tantrums are very analogous.

In this analogy, are Norf the poop? Or the marshmallow? Or the toilet, because they only attract 💩 to their club...?

I prefer metaphors, they’re simpler: Norf are 💩.

In this analogy, are Norf the poop? Or the marshmallow? Or the toilet, because they only attract 💩 to their club...?

I prefer metaphors, they’re simpler: Norf are 💩.

Yeah, I should have tried to get a reference to the Holocaust in there, but I’ll leave that to the experts!

Back