Review Round 18, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. North Melbourne

Who were your five best players against North Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: abletts tribunal. He brought up his 'exemplary record' to argue his fine should be lessened...and also was used in the initial defense of the ban. also discussed how a man of his 'character' is more likely to make a mistake rather than commit an offense. Interesting question, is a player who has been the victim less or more likely to then commit offenses themselves :)

Interesting enough (and fairly imo), Gleeson (the afl's representation) said it should be looked at as if it was committed by a first year player. Evidently not.
Not sure if 100 games enough for an exemplary record? or is it 200. Eh its a bit petty to rehash this but the whole process is quite silly all up tbh.

Martin broke Simon's eye socket

Correct.

Forearm jolt to Black's face as he (Black) was on the ground on his back .

One of the most despicable acts of thuggery on the footy field I've had the misfortune to witness.

Black suffered that awful injury(that put him out of the rest of the match) early in the second quarter but the Tribunal(or whatever they called them back then) amazingly,found Martin not guilty due to "insufficient evidence" or some bullshit. "Coz the behind the goal vision was too blurry …..or something, something"

Which meant that Black managed to fracture his own eye socket lying prone on his back in possession of the ball with Mick Martin landing top of him with a raised forearm.

That ruling was up there with the Barry Hall one before the 2005 GF

Oh well, at least Simon wasn't penalised for Holding the Ball:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Correct.

One of the most despicable acts of thuggery on the footy field I've had the misfortune to witness.

Black suffered that awful injury(that put him out of the rest of the match) early in the second quarter but the Tribunal(or whatever they called them back then) amazingly,found Martin not guilty due to "insufficient evidence" or some bulls**t. "Coz the behind the goal visions was too blurry …..or something, something"

Which meant that Black managed to fracture his own eye socket lying prone on his back in possession of the ball with Mick Martin landing top of him with a raised forearm.

Oh well, at least Simon wasn't penalised for Holding the Ball:rolleyes::rolleyes:
This whole episode last night is to me quite mysterious , particularly why we didn't throw anything at trying to get him off.

I couldn't see Collingwood or one of the power clubs letting themselves get walked over like this.

No drama now it's done , at least Harris should be fresh for the rest of the year.

Yeah Barry Hall was a classic , probably one of the worst records of anyone to front the tribunal ,got away with clobbering Goose behind play, a decision that won them the flag

Correct.

Black suffered that awful injury(that put him out of the rest of the match) early in the second quarter but the Tribunal(or whatever they called them back then) amazingly,found Martin not guilty due to "insufficient evidence" or some bulls**t. "Coz the behind the goal vision was too blurry …..or something, something"

Didn't McCartney break Keating's jaw in that game too? Or am I thinking of another game?

Didn't McCartney break Keating's jaw in that game too? Or am I thinking of another game?
Was it his nose?

The "flashback" page about the game on the North Melbourne site is pretty funny in terms of completely underselling the deliberate strikes by both Martyn and McCartney:

It claimed its first victim early as Simon Black got crunched in a tackle by Mick Martyn. The collision forced Black off the field and after just one handball the midfielder played no further part in the match.

Clark Keating marked the ball on Brisbane’s forward 50 and an errant forearm from Jason McCartney collected the Lions’ ruckman high.

Neither should have played in the grand final.

So maybe you can enlighten us on why Harris made it worse for himself by mentioning the alleged teeth clattering.
Is it
Scenario
1 Where , this new evidence now brought to the hearing made it quite clear that the impact was worse than they thought.
2 Harris dropped his head and looked straight through Christians eyes and quietly said " I Heard His Teeth Chatter "
whilst smiling like Johny on the Shining.
3 Or something else that my detective brain hasn't thought of.
In all seriousness I don't see how that would then lead the enquiry to believe the impact was worse than it was or in fact Andrews intentionally forearmed his throat as apposed to a fend off going accidently high.
I'm a little lost .

The short answer is Harris f****d up, nothing more or less.

Was it his nose?

The "flashback" page about the game on the North Melbourne site is pretty funny in terms of completely underselling the deliberate strikes by both Martyn and McCartney:

Neither should have played in the grand final.

Does anyone have footage of this? I seem to recall it being a pretty obvious strike to the face when black was on the ground but my mind may be obscuring the facts. Would love to set the old memory banks straight once and for all.

Does anyone have footage of this? I seem to recall it being a pretty obvious strike to the face when black was on the ground but my mind may be obscuring the facts. Would love to set the old memory banks straight once and for all.
That's my memory as well but I couldn't locate footage of it after quickly skimming through YouTube.

That's my memory as well but I couldn't locate footage of it after quickly skimming through YouTube.
I watched most of the highlights that were linked from that North article and wasn't until the end did I really think, "Is that something a North article is really going to put into their 1999 prelim memory highlights?".

/facepalm

Montagna on AFL Tonight still drinking the koolaid saying that Norf lost because of an incorrect decision. Even Carey came out said that wasn’t te reason they lost.

Montagna on AFL Tonight still drinking the koolaid saying that Norf lost because of an incorrect decision.

The decision to recruit Polec?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Montagna on AFL Tonight still drinking the koolaid saying that Norf lost because of an incorrect decision. Even Carey came out said that wasn’t te reason they lost.
Thought the same thing when he said that; just assuming they'd have won but for the result despite the fact that the last two North clearances out of our I50 went straight to Lions who re-entered the I50.

It was a classic Polec game - one flashy bit of play (goal from outside 50), then squibbing several vital contests and directly letting in goals.

Play of the week….. Polec drops a mark cold in the defensive goal square....then proceeds to tackle Christensen high gifting us a goal.

Reprising his efforts against Shuey in that EF a couple of years ago.

And loving it

Back