Review Round 19, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think we should have Lester in our best team but gee Payne gets a free ride sometimes. I think he has potential but he was just about worst on, Birchall included, and its been a pretty poor few weeks from him once adams went out.

I thought he was very very poor, but he gets a pass simply because the other options are non-existent. I think Ballendan will be worse when manning up and after that our tall defenders are...???

I thought he was very very poor, but he gets a pass simply because the other options are non-existent. I think Ballendan will be worse when manning up and after that our tall defenders are...???

Oh he stays in the team until we get healthier, I'm mainly carrying on the war from earlier in the year/last year against those who wanted dizzy or adams dropped for Payne.

A bit petty from me but if everyone else gets to melt and call to sack the coach then I think I'm entitled to occasionally push back what I think are unreaslitic estimations of where Jack is at right now ;)

interesting our back 7 and forward 7 are.
players have good patches and go missing or case of the fumbles or shank kicks. Birchall not so trusty boot anymore nor Payne.
Very few play full games of late. Say Starc, Rich and McCarthy be the three out of 14 you can count on not to go missing.
Our talls are a worry Andrews looks lost at times, Joe good, bad and ugly (burns players), Charlie, Lester, Payne and McStay as well.
Hipwood and Adams where the best of our talls the last few weeks before they were injured :(
I do wonder if we have a few down hill skiers in the team. Charlie gets most of his goals late in the game recently.
Not sure who is injured. This time of the years lots of players carrying things.
Neale carrying a few niggles

Before Adams last 2 games I'm not sure he was playing much better

Think that is pretty much untrue - there was at least a 4-6 game period of consistent good performance from Marcus. In any case, his level of performance has a far higher ceiling and compensated for Harris' inconsitent form and protected him by allowing him to play a bit more free and intercept. None of that protection right now.

Think that is pretty much untrue - there was at least a 4-6 game period of consistent good performance from Marcus. In any case, his level of performance has a far higher ceiling and compensated for Harris' inconsitent form and protected him by allowing him to play a bit more free and intercept. None of that protection right now.

If you discount all the games Adams played well in he hasn't been playing very well.

Loved Robbo asking the umpire how he thought he got the blood on his face :D

The first half was absolutely terrible. Worse than the last couple of weeks. We just kept giving the Suns uncontested easy ball at either end and weren't applying enough pressure in the middle. Second half was as brilliant as the first was dire. We just suddenly remembered how to play the game and it was fantastic to watch. Daniher was as frustrating as ever. Missing relatively bread and butter shots and then kicking a couple of freaks.

I'm just hoping the big score inspires some confidence to go and smash the next month leading up to finals and doesn't just paper over the cracks of the last few weeks.

That second half was more about Gold Coast falling apart. I don’t know what Dew said at halftime to his players, but they stopped playing, then just gave up.
Completely disagree.
We actually started playing footy after half time.
Before that it was a walk in the park.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't have any issue with how Payne played. Still only played a handful of games so will make mistakes. Worth persisting with.

Lester on the other hand....
Totally agree, we forget he is new to this, Harris Andrews was also terrible in the 1st Qtr and for the last 2 games has been somewhat of a passenger. once Andrews got going Payne was much better.

Agree, Ballendan has had his chances, just doesn't seem to like the tough stuff and is not fast enough to play intercepting roles. Payne is fas and loves the rough stuff I'd work with him, at 30, 40 or 50 games he will be a good player. No wonder the Bulldogs wanted him last year.

I was at the game so obviously didn't get involved in the game day thread but was thinking at half time I wonder how the melts are going on BF.... is it worth having a look at for some entertainment?

This pretty much sums it up

1627124047710.png

These delicious Melting Moments are the Passionfruit ones

Well few truths told at half time I recon ! Credit to them to respond like that , but now it’s time to get serious , get clinical
Linc what a star, much better from O
Clinical , yes thankyou s, someone else knows that word.
Lower the eyes , run into space , run somewhere at least.
I don't know what it is , but if our pressure is off then so is our run with the ball .
Full credit to gold Coast in the First they where top 4 esque, and thank goodness we started to run and carry instead of bloody bombing it.
Great game .

Last edited:
I didn't have any issue with how Payne played. Still only played a handful of games so will make mistakes. Worth persisting with.

Lester on the other hand....

I suggest you go and watch the first qtr and tell me how you think Payne went? He improved slightly after that but he couldn't have gone any worse. Some of his efforts were extremely poor.

Dont think Berry will be buying a beer for Joe tonight. Not sure how I view Joe yet.

19 possies, 3.4 (could have been 6 easily), 12 score involvements and 5 inside 50s.

Also scored 2 crucial goals when no one looked like it.

I think we want him to be like Tex or Browny, reality is - he isn't that guy. We have to embrace who he is. More of your athletic, link up, off the ground - mercurial type.

He is also settling into a new role as a stay at home forward after being back up ruck all year.

He is putting together a good year and will only get better with continuity.

Knocks on him are - not enough strong grabs inside 50, defensive intensity and attitude looks off sometimes.

19 possies, 3.4 (could have been 6 easily), 12 score involvements and 5 inside 50s.

Also scored 2 crucial goals when no one looked like it.

I think we want him to be like Tex or Browny, reality is - he isn't that guy. We have to embrace who he is. More of your athletic, link up, off the ground - mercurial type.

He is also settling into a new role as a stay at home forward after being back up ruck all year.

He is putting together a good year and will only get better with continuity.

Knocks on him are - not enough strong grabs inside 50, defensive intensity and attitude looks off sometimes.

Joe is like the proverbial Forrest Gump box of chocolates.

He's capable of the most basic schoolboy errors and on the other hand, do something that is pure genius. Often these two extremes are on display within minutes or even seconds of each other

I reckon he's great value.:thumbsu:

He makes me smile.

Last edited:
I'm in the camp that thinks Ballenden has something to offer and like Fullarton will go a lot better in the Seniors than in the Ressies. Unlike smaller ball getting types who have all the chances in the world in the Ressies to show what they've got.

I figure with Daniher if his teammates have no idea what he's going to do nor do the opposition. He's really big ,athletic and unpredictable and is winning enough of the ball to be in our most valuable players. But geeze ,just slot it through mate, blazing away every time is for amateurs.

Likewise Bailey has special talent and once he learns to lower his eyes a bit more and realise how much space he has on opponents he'll become a far more damaging player.

If we can get Adams and Gardiner back and Berry can find some form we're competitive with the good sides , but we just need another gun in the M/F to ice our cake . If....

I really liked our forward set up today with Daniher given some space further up the ground and Charlie and Linc targets with Fullarton unmarked on occasions. I've got faith in Ah Chee , there's something untapped there , he's been pushed all over the ground, just hasn't found his niche yet.

I've defended Froggy Lester in the past but my impression at the game tonight was that he stunk the place up.

As usual, I'll reserve my final decision until after I've watched the Replay.

Often things are never as bad (or good) as they seem at the game
In the first half I thought Lester was our best defender on the ground.

Back