Preview Round 19 - West Coast Eagles vs Brisbane Lions - Sunday 30 July 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also noticed a couple of times last week Schache would make a really good long lead from one wing all the way to the other, dropping his defender along the way, only to have another Lions player (with his opponent in tow) lead into his space. So instead of having an easy uncontested mark as a reward for his hard running, he'd either be in a contest, or have to peel off to be the next option. The forward group as a whole still have a bit of work to do to work out how to play together.

I think some people like me having been watching the clip of Coxs goal 100 times this week. Schache seems to have a whinge after missing a mark when the reason he missed the mark was because he didn't use his body.

My feeling is that Schache is often leading well and not being honoured, or being honoured and just not clunking the mark. Sometimes just a bit of body contact is enough to throw him off. He looks like a lot of young guys with a big body: he's cautious about throwing it around / risking it / using it (and learning to use it) as a weapon. If and when he gets that confidence - and I believe this could happen quite suddenly - he'll have a 4+ goal game and we'll see exactly what he is capable of.
Yes he needs to develop some confidence that McStay now has developed.

He's still young and developing...how's about we cut him some slack....;)

Yes he needs to develop some confidence that McStay now has developed.
Mcstay, Robertson, Mathieson, Hippy all have had continuity this brings confidence.

Walker and Schache should be the next two to benefit from an extended run. Walker being a swing man who can play back up ruck is a useful utility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re. Schache he has played 20+ games? How was Josh Kennedy doing at that same point? Or Hawkins?

Liam Jones kicked 25 in his first 25 games. Jessie White had 20 in his first 18. It doesn't mean much.

Mcstay, Robertson, Mathieson, Hippy all have had continuity this brings confidence.

Walker and Schache should be the next two to benefit from an extended run. Walker being a swing man who can play back up ruck is a useful utility.
This is part of my point, that Schache is a work in progress, who may be a great player, long term, but we, the bottom team, need to develop these young high selection picks very quickly.

Given we are bottom of the ladder what is lost if Schache starts on Darling tomorrow? What about an extended Schache run down back?

Now I know that the match committee will have done scenarios plenty on this, so I am not saying that I criticise anyone if it does not happen, but I have this feeling, much more rational based than the optimistic predictions on this web site, that Schache will make a great defender.

I will be down at the North Fitzroy Arms to watch the game tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back