Preview Round 2, 2019 - North Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Walker will come out of the side for Robertson. North only have the one key position sized forward in Ben Brown, who Harris will cover. They have a few 3rd tall types but they can easily be covered by Gardiner, Witherden, Hodge and co. Robertson will provide us a bit more stopping power for their smalls and a bit of run and carry out of defence.
Walker played a solid game last week too but I see your rationale.

Answerth wasn't a running defender as a junior. He was used more in a lock down role on opposition teams dangerous small forwards. He's an uncompromising tackler who is a good user with the football out of defence.

I'd prefer a slightly taller general defender to take Hodge's spot when he retires. Some one who can match up better on the 186-190cm medium forwards.

Neither Rich, Bailey, Answerth or Cox have the height or athleticism to match up on the medium forwards. That leaves Gardner, NRobbo or Witherden.

Witherden for me is a natural successor to Hodge, we just need to add one or two more running defenders (or develop them in-house; Cox and Madden being the logical players) to the list.

Ideally, Zac Bailey moves in to the midfield rotation once our smaller lock down and running defenders are sorted.
Skinner has the height, athleticism and mongrel to match up on those medium tall forwards. I really hope to see him have a great year. Gardiner and skinner in the back 6 together is a frightening prospect for opposition fwds. I get goosebumps at the thought. Eagles too if he takes another leap fwd. I also hope jack payne can get on the track and shows what he's capable of. With walker and adams our med to tall defence looks good. Just gotta get some games into them (skinner, adams, payne).

Skinner has the height, athleticism and mongrel to match up on those medium tall forwards. I really hope to see him have a great year. Gardiner and skinner in the back 6 together is a frightening prospect for opposition fwds. I get goosebumps at the thought. Eagles too if he takes another leap fwd. I also hope jack payne can get on the track and shows what he's capable of. With walker and adams our med to tall defence looks good. Just gotta get some games into them (skinner, adams, payne).

With Harris and Dizzy we can really only afford one more tall back there, so it'll be a competitive spot between, Walker, Skinner, Adams, Payne or maybe Eagles.

I think Skinner, Ballenden and Fullarton will fight it out for the key forward/second ruck role when Oscar takes over from Stef in the next couple of years.

Might be relying on you guys to follow this one. Will be at Kings Canyon in the NT probably nowhere with fox and only radio station there is the ABC who will be covering the AFLW GF

If Nick Robbo comes in for Walker because of height things, I'm confident he'll do a great job. His disposal and decision making improved a lot in the last half of last year.

Mason Wood would be a similar opponent to Tom Lynch (Crows) who Nick did a reasonable job on last year.

The very few snippets I've seen of Skinner this year makes me think he may have lost some of that athleticism after the latest reco. Wouldn't suprprise.

The very few snippets I've seen of Skinner this year makes me think he may have lost some of that athleticism after the latest reco. Wouldn't suprprise.
It can be hard to tell sometimes if that is down to a lack of confidence in the joint when you first return but I thought he looked like he had lost some agility also

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If, IF, we win this one I may truly begin to believe. Begin.

If we have improved as almost everyone around here seems convinced we actually have, then this is the sort of game we should win against an also-ran. Minus Brown, Norf's strengths are their small to medium sized players. Hence the possible personnel changes. And anyone coming in surely will have in mind they will only stay in on performance alone.

If we win this one, and we back up with good performances v the Power and and the Bombers, look out for a gang-buster v the Woods.

AFL Round 2 Blowtorch 2019
NORTH MELBOURNE v BRISBANE LIONS

Sunday 31 March, 1.10pm at Marvel Stadium

How to watch on Fox Footy: Channel 504 from 1pm with Anthony Hudson, Dermott Brereton, Jonathan Brown, David King and Kelli Underwood

North Melbourne’s burning question: Is there a concerning trend at the Kangaroos?

Yes — and it all relates to pressure and defence. The Kangaroos had a clear brand of footy up until Round 11 of last year, rated as the best team for pressure applied as well as the second best team in terms of points conceded from turnovers. Brad Scott’s team also conceded the second fewest points. Since Round 12, however, those statistics have all headed south. Only three teams have conceded more points, while North Melbourne has become the fourth-worst pressure team and sixth-worst when it comes to conceding points from turnovers. Worrying signs.

Brisbane’s burning question: Are the Lions ahead of schedule?

That’s what Fox Footy expert David King said on SEN earlier this week. Despite having the second-youngest list, the Lions are arguably the most hyped team in the competition — hype that only increased last weekend when they knocked off the reigning premiers in comprehensive fashion. The new midfield pairing of Jarryd Lyons and Lachie Neal is a big winner, while 2019 could see the emergence of Hugh McCluggage, who Gerard Healy this week compared to former Lions great Nigel Lappin. If your definition of ‘ahead of schedule’ is finals in 2019, they might be.

Fox Footy expert tipsters’ verdict: North Melbourne 3 — Brisbane Lions 9

If, IF, we win this one I may truly begin to believe. Begin.

If we have improved as almost everyone around here seems convinced we actually have, then this is the sort of game we should win against an also-ran. Minus Brown, Norf's strengths are their small to medium sized players. Hence the possible personnel changes. And anyone coming in surely will have in mind they will only stay in on performance alone.

If we win this one, and we back up with good performances v the Power and and the Bombers, look out for a gang-buster v the Woods.

At the moment, in The House of Sausages, there is restrained joy at the fantasy of being 4-0 along with the Pies and going into that game....if that happens, I'd say we'll get very close to 35k at the game.

Much to do before then of course, but....yeah :)

The good thing: our excellent full-court pressure v the Demons and the Eagles, when asked for.

The bad thing: it had to be asked for.

Gardiner will be better for the run, and Berry is pretty obviously still short of full fitness, so look out when he is.

Lastly, how the hell is Cunnington not suspended. Bloody joke. If anyone else is suspended this year for an off-the-ball gut punch there should be an inquiry.

'Hungry' Lions primed to snap another skid (Michael Whiting)
CHRIS Fagan says there's no sign of Brisbane's players getting ahead of themselves following last week's win over West Coast, with the Lions coach expecting another quality showing against North Melbourne on Sunday. Brisbane thumped the reigning premier by 44 points last Saturday night, and has named an unchanged lineup to play the Kangaroos at Marvel Stadium.

Fagan said the preparation to take on Brad Scott's men – a team the Lions have not beaten since 2014 – began the minute they walked off the Gabba six days ago. "They're a hungry group," Fagan said of his team on Friday. "It's been a long time since Brisbane has won a game like that. "They liked how that felt and they want to keep that going if they can. Our hunger to continue to win is strong, they're motivated by that. "I don't see any signs this week that we've got ahead of ourselves."

Fagan is on high-alert for a North Melbourne team that has often collared a younger Lions team around the ball. In his three matches coaching against the Kangaroos, Fagan's team has lost by more than 50 points twice and lost the contested possession count twice (by 18 and 17) while drawing it once.

Last year, the Lions broke a number of long-standing droughts, including winning over Hawthorn in Launceston for the first time in nine years and winning three games in a row for the first time in five years. The Lions haven't beaten the Kangaroos at Sunday's venue since 2009. Following last week's first victory over West Coast since 2012, Fagan believes they now have the artillery to break the North Melbourne drought. With the addition of Jarryd Lyons (26), Lachie Neale (25) and Lincoln McCarthy (25), Brisbane has a more robust midfield to throw at more mature teams.

"For us, on our climb, we've got to find ways to do well against these teams that have previously dominated us and that's been the focus this week," Fagan said. "It's the resilience you build up over two years in learning from losses, it's maturity of young players as their bodies get stronger and become better versed at playing AFL footy and it's the recruits that come in that can make a bit of difference. "It's not any one thing."

The good thing: our excellent full-court pressure v the Demons and the Eagles, when asked for.

The bad thing: it had to be asked for.

Gardiner will be better for the run, and Berry is pretty obviously still short of full fitness, so look out when he is.

Lastly, how the hell is Cunnington not suspended. Bloody joke. If anyone else is suspended this year for an off-the-ball gut punch there should be an inquiry.

I don't think you can complain about the pressure against the eagles. It was beyond anything we have produced in years for 3 quarters.

First quarter our issues were poor goalkicking, turnovers in the back half and giving away stupid/possibly dubious freekicks. We had a bad 5 minutes all game and that is where WC scored almost all their goals for the game.

So. Wont be in Australia for this game. My choices are limited. Taking the family on a cruise and not sure ill get reception in the pacific. Please cheer the boys on for me. I'm hoping they can play it live on the boat but dont like my chances. Good news is we dock back in time for round 3.
You can get the internet package for a day for about $20

Do I tip Brisbane despite feeling like we'll lose due to years of losing to Norf at Etihad or do I tip Norf knowing it's a win win either way?
I tipped North, partly because it is in Melbourne, our record against North is average and I don't just trust that we'll win games we should.

Therefore, I have gone with the reverse psychology whereby, if we win, its only a tip, if we lose, I'll be pissed, but at least I got the tip right.

At the moment, in The House of Sausages, there is restrained joy at the fantasy of being 4-0 along with the Pies and going into that game....if that happens, I'd say we'll get very close to 35k at the game.

Much to do before then of course, but....yeah :)
Pies would only be 3-1 after losing to the Cats last week - just saying! Nice dream though!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back