Autopsy Round 2, 2024: Hawks go to hell

Remove this Banner Ad

Broke the record for possessions in a season too.
If it was in 2024, he probably wins a brownlow and AA for a season like that (given they now value possessions more than impact)
Which year did Mitchell do this?

Mitchell was a good young player until breaking out in 2006 which was his 5th season.

Up until that point his best disposal tally for a year was only 373

Sam Mitchell won the rising star FFS. Absolutely was a world beater at 21.
Mitchell didn’t have his breakout year until 2006. Averaged 18 disposals in 2003 when he won the rising star.

Was a very good young player but a long way from a world beater.

I guess we need to remember Sam is still a junior coach learning the trade. All coaches make mistakes and having a very young group will exacerbate any tactical errors or overly ambitious game plans. He seemed to own the first quarter errors in his presser, and acknowledged the need for change in our center set up.

I didn’t enjoy it but I reckon he will be better for the experience.

I thought Chol was hard done by the umps to be fair.

One occasion he completely out jumps JVR in the centre bounce for a clean clearance and gets a late whistle to call it back despite both rucks contesting. Was a real WTF moment.

Had a free kick against him because JVR refused to contest the ball.

His game would have looked better if not for those.head scratchers.
Not to mention a few great tackles that weren’t rewarded

View attachment 1938025

No doubt this doesn't hold up in any relevant stastistical way, and it in no way proves my rant about the second-rate Demons organisation, but what do the first four teams in that list have in common?

In fact, if you swapped Collingwood for the Dees (a very dodgy statistical cheat), the top 7 clubs would all be wearing blue.

Feel free to dismiss my rant as the cloud-shouting of an angry conspiracy theorist, but I'm sticking to it. LOL.
This is really interesting, and no I don't dismiss this as conspiracy theories (for starters, you failed to mention Princess Kate was wearing blue in the photo that was released).

I was genuinely interested, though. There's been a heap of work done on colours sporting people wear (generally in combat sports). In sports where red and blue are worn (tae kwon do, amateur boxing, etc) it is shown that referees favour competitors wearing red. For example:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20140827-how-the-colour-red-warps-the-mind

https://www.researchgate.net/public...uence_of_outfit_colours_on_sports_performance

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn14292-referees-award-more-points-when-they-see-red/

More anecdotally, a good mate of mine who has no interest in AFL whatsoever married into a family of mad Cats supporters (tautology fully intended), and got roped into their family footy tipping competition. He won it three years straight and then got booted out when they discovered that he put all of his tips in at the start of the year using the following heuristics:

1. Select home teams
  2. For each individual match, change the tip if the away team has more red in their guernsey
  3. Regardless of 1 and 2 above, never select Melbourne (this was a few years ago when Melbourne were crap)

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
P

I listened to MMM during the game. Apparently our pressure rating was 75 or similar in the last quarter. The commentators had to check with the statistician as they thought he was drunk. Then he confirmed that it's by far the worst pressure stat he'd ever seen. Then they all sort of laughed. For those thinking it'll turn quick, it's been one of the only consistent parts of our game since the pre-season. Consistently poor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I listened to MMM during the game. Apparently our pressure rating was 75 or similar in the last quarter. The commentators had to check with the statistician as they thought he was drunk. Then he confirmed that it's by far the worst pressure stat he'd ever seen. Then they all sort of laughed. For those thinking it'll turn quick, it's been one of the only consistent parts of our game since the pre-season. Consistently poor.

SuperCoach and Dreamteam has conned so many people.

Yesterday was diabolical from the moment we walked out. We can talk about not kicking it to Max Gawn or Jake Lever and chipping the ball around but that was utter garbage from a side that looked completely spooked from the opening minute of the game.

Tony Shaw has absolutely nailed his take this time and I hope that game is the low point of our season.

I thought Chol was hard done by the umps to be fair.

One occasion he completely out jumps JVR in the centre bounce for a clean clearance and gets a late whistle to call it back despite both rucks contesting. Was a real WTF moment.

Had a free kick against him because JVR refused to contest the ball.

His game would have looked better if not for those.head scratchers.
Was this when he jumped so high his knee collected JVR high? Mind boggling.

Isn’t a problem with you do it in a marking contest.

Based on his performance in the 2 pre season games he warranted selection.

If we count 2 pre season games that is now 3 out 4 games where the midfield have been soundly beaten.
Not ahead of any of those that were given games he didn’t though.

In no way would the majority of posters on here have ever been ok with him being in the side ahead of one of Newcombe, Nash, Worpel or Mackenzie.

Was this when he jumped so high his knee collected JVR high? Mind boggling.

Isn’t a problem with you do it in a marking contest.

That's the one. Left me head scratching.

Nic Nat wouldn't have had a career if they officiated like that 10 years ago.

That would give him great confidence and is a hint of the player he can(and will) be.

Didn't we give up a goal almost instantly back from the centre bounce after this?

The Dees looked a bit wobbly here and then we just lose the momentum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back