Preview Round 2 Essendon vs. Box Hill Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

No problems.

Daniher, Gumbleton & Winderlich kicked 16 goals between them last week. This week we kept them to a combined 1 goal!

Savage, Grimley and Cheney were emergencies for Hawthorn. One of those is always held over for AFL game day.
Grimley is obviously the emergency for Hawthorn tomorrow.

A few thoughts about the game today...

First… there was line-up outside the ground to get in what’s up with that geezus missed the 1st qtr. 5000 at the game felt like an interstate game where everything they did was greeted with a loud cheer and everything we did was done in absolute silence apart from a few supporters / players screaming their lungs out. It was pressure cooker environment and we were dominated in the first and second qtrs..

To come out like they did in the 3rd(where we won the game) showed great character from the boys. Ossie and Savage really lifted in the 3rd and our back half was solid all game. Amos kicking goals from the boundary line exciting 3rd term. The only down side was young thomson going off with what looked like a knee injury.

4 goals in front and we kicked the first going into the last qtr and then that all so familiar feeling of a team getting a run on.
We'd seen it last week. Was it going to happen again to the boys credit they gutsed it out to the death and came out with a victory

HFC listed players

Lake is ready. Absolutely monstered everyone on that last line of defence. Great in defence today.
Savage had a good game but goes missing in qtrs still was one of our key contributors provided great run and kicked goals.
Ossie This guy isn’t done yet still short of a gallop but whatever he does is too good for this level. His hardness and competitiveness is still there. His leap is still there. He needs to get his fitness back.
Simpkin did get a lot of the ball. He did get caught with it a fair bit slow in mind and body today at times. Tried hard and was one of our better players in the middle.
Litherland Kid looks good actually he looks really good. He was playing on much taller opponents for most of the game and came out trumps.
Lowden Played well today in general play was a link up running player. Got his hand on the ball in the ruck but was as effective in there.
Ceglar was much more effective in the ruck especially getting to advantage. We looked better when he was in the ruck and Lowden was playing forward around the ground.
Langers has real pace and has that competitive streak, lays a great tackle. Improving every week exciting player kicked a great goal in the second on the run from just on 50.
Cheney was once again rock solid down in defence and courageous this guy would be a walk up start in the Melbourne team at the moment. He will get games this year.
Spangher was well held by Tayte Pears. He was lead to the ball most of today tried hard and competed.
Kelly was once again unassuming in his performance steady without dominating. Good hands and decent by foot.
Amos is still learning absolutely lethal when he gets the ball inside 30m. His tackling harassing and general competitiveness has improved. He takes too long with ball in hand he still needs to work on his awareness and vision so he can move the ball on to his teammates with greater urgency.
O’Brien is a long way off senior football at the moment. He just gets pushed out of the way to easily in a marking contest. Much better when he is moving but I still a work in progress.

Box Hill Listed players

Mirra was once again one of the better players on the ground if not the best was playing on a dangerous player who has torn Hawthorn apart let alon box hill and kept him quiet. You just expect that from David a real rock down there in defence winning so many one on one’s in defence.
Pratt was along with the rest of our defence really good cutting out inside 50 entries.
Gordon looked slow in the 1st half but really pulled his finger out in the second half finished with 4 goals all in the second half. Put the score on the board for us with great leading and contested marking.
Lock was great today was almost the get out kick on the wing for us had a lot of the ball in 3rd.
Wood quick nippy little player was on the end of goal in the 3rd Provided great pressure in that forward line for us all day.
Thomson was great till he unfortunately got injured and it doesn’t look good. Looks like an ACL best case PCL.
Illes really was running at the end of the game and providing that option going forward.
Andrews played tough in and under today was a bit under the weather last week with gastro

Final word we haven’t won down there so to come away with the points given the crowd and their start was a great win I look forward to next week.

I tried it with a tune in app with my tablet,AND I tried to get 94.1fm on both my PC and android tablet,still no luck..:(

Looks like just the luck of the draw. Australia Network in Thailand have only had our game against the cats, with nothing until round 4, against North. Plenty on the new sides though. I'm getting anxious to watch the Hawks again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Box Hill Listed players

Mirra was once again one of the better players on the ground if not the best was playing on a dangerous player who has torn Hawthorn apart let alon box hill and kept him quiet. You just expect that from David a real rock down there in defence winning so many one on one’s in defence.
Pratt was along with the rest of our defence really good cutting out inside 50 entries.
Gordon looked slow in the 1st half but really pulled his finger out in the second half finished with 4 goals all in the second half. Put the score on the board for us with great leading and contested marking.
Lock was great today was almost the get out kick on the wing for us had a lot of the ball in 3rd.
Wood quick nippy little player was on the end of goal in the 3rd Provided great pressure in that forward line for us all day.
Thomson was great till he unfortunately got injured and it doesn’t look good. Looks like an ACL best case PCL.
Illes really was running at the end of the game and providing that option going forward.
Andrews played tough in and under today was a bit under the weather last week with gastro

Final word we haven’t won down there so to come away with the points given the crowd and their start was a great win I look forward to next week.
Do you think Mirra's chances of playing AFL are gone? With Cheney continuing to make his case and Litherland showing some good form it seems like Mirra's chances at Hawthorn will be limited?

Thanks PPPP. Interesting turnaround at half time. Did we switch drink bottles?

Litherland is a great story. Would that have been his best game for BHH? Same for Gordon.

Do you think Mirra's chances of playing AFL are gone? With Cheney continuing to make his case and Litherland showing some good form it seems like Mirra's chances at Hawthorn will be limited?
See i thought he would have been picked up over the last couple of years but it hasn't happenend not just with Hawthorn but anywhere else. He is a great defender but i think ppl feel for his height he just lacks that yard of pace. Consistent performer at this level though.

Thanks PPPP. Interesting turnaround at half time. Did we switch drink bottles?

Litherland is a great story. Would that have been his best game for BHH? Same for Gordon.
No drink bottles were untainted ;) It was similar to the collingwood game on the weekend. We had fought back to actually even out the contest by the end of the second qtr. The 3rd qtr was a little surprise as it was hawthorn but sure was a delight to watch.

Litherland played some good games earlier on preseason i think either last year or year before. Showed his pace and composure. Has had some injuries as you know. I think he is the model of the modern footballer because he is athletic and quick. His deficiencies with kicking have been worked over on the track. If he keeps going on his current trajectory will be useful especially against speedy small forwards.

David looks a bit bigger than in previous years and is surrounded by some good fellow defenders at the moment.

Matt Jones was picked up on a primary list so I'm not ruling out an at worst rookie listing.

He does have a tendency to kick sideways a lot. If he ran and had a kick to break the lines he's be near irresistible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back