Review Round 20, 2017 - Brisbane Lions vs. Western Bulldogs

Who were your five best players against the Bulldogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Schache really needs to harden up a bit and attack the footy. Several times tonight he just waited for the opposition to get the footy instead of throwing his body in himself. So frustrating to watch

There are no excuses for him tonight. It was glaring.

Is it kinda good for our young players to experience a loss like that?
There's got to be some subconscious call to extra energy when we are in that situation again, to avoid the negativity of losing?

Bit more composure from Hipwood and we probably would've won, for some reason he seemed to lose his mind every time he got the ball today.
The thing that really stood out was one defensive effort from Robertson. Bont was being tackled late in the last quarter, Robertson went screaming past and left Macrae alone, Macrae got the handball and found Redpath free, goal.

Another great game from Rich by the way, his aerial ability has improved massively, he's now regularly winning contests and taking marks.
We were really poor entering the forward half initially and then when we talk control our forwards we poor.

Hippy takes the mark and its a different result.

Shack was s**t. Needs to go back to the reserves and get accustomed to running and being hit. He was bad.

Overall though I think it was a great team effort, it just hurts to come so close.
I wouldn't drop Schache, he chased and scrapped for ground balls all day but just couldn't get into it otherwise. The problem was bigger than him, for all the good things Walker did he wasn't a goal threat at all and ****ed up a couple of great opportunities. I think Schache's set shot at the end was the only time you could say one of our kpfs actually had a great chance at goal.

Just a deflating game really, were well in it even when we didn't deserve to be. People who I thought who was going to tear the game open at various stages (Walker, Berry, Zorko, Hipwood and a few others) just couldn't hold onto their run for long enough. We were very efficient when going inside 50, but the great thing is, that we no longer rely on our senior players to carry us in matches. As previously stated, next year, we win these games and I expect we'll have many more of these games as well.

Ran out of legs. Hippy and Clug weren't able to jump straight back into form after a week off. Berry didn't have the same problem - he will be such a good all round midfielder but I'm really impressed by his composure and maturity already.

Jibbers Crabst the dogs throw it a lot!

Got a great young core now, hopefully you can keep them all together and in a few years there should be a very good team. Helps that you have a very switched on coach.

Next year you'll add Robinson, pick 1 or 2 and physically improved McLuggage, Hipwood and Schache. Might surprise a few I reckon.

Witherden and Allison are great pickups. Get two bargains like that each year and you'll be going places.

Hipwood just had one of those days where he couldn't get things to go his way. Still finished with 17 touches though so he got his hands on it enough.

We are being a bit tough on poor Hippy ....the kid has done nothing too much wrong all year. I think, in hindsight, we should allow him an off day.....frustrating as that may be.

Just didn't work for him today, but he tried his heart out.

Hipwood just had one of those days where he couldn't get things to go his way. Still finished with 17 touches though so he got his hands on it enough.

Didn't feel like he got his hands on it that much. He definitely worked up the ground but thats a reassuring stat even if the rest of his game didn't produce what we've come to expect.

I missed the first quarter, and therefore as far as I'm concerned we won by ten points.
Funnily enough me too.

I don't think I'm enough of a masochist to go back and watch now. It'll probably just spoil the warm and fuzzies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disappointing but we really lost it in the first quarter and then ran out of legs in the last. We shut down their system with pressure in the 2nd and 3rd and that was pleasing too see.
we gave them a good fright.

I wouldn't drop Schache, he chased and scrapped for ground balls all day but just couldn't get into it otherwise.

He absolutely did not.

Today was one of the worst games I've seen Schache play to the extent that he looked injured.

I'd be replacing him with just about any of the talls from the NEAFL.

The Dogs do throw it a lot and it's no more clear than live at the game - incredible.

Got a great young core now, hopefully you can keep them all together and in a few years there should be a very good team. Helps that you have a very switched on coach.

Next year you'll add Robinson, pick 1 or 2 and physically improved McLuggage, Hipwood and Schache. Might surprise a few I reckon.

Witherden and Allison are great pickups. Get two bargains like that each year and you'll be going places.
And Christensen

Bit more composure from Hipwood and we probably would've won, for some reason he seemed to lose his mind every time he got the ball today.
The thing that really stood out was one defensive effort from Robertson. Bont was being tackled late in the last quarter, Robertson went screaming past and left Macrae alone, Macrae got the handball and found Redpath free, goal.

Another great game from Rich by the way, his aerial ability has improved massively, he's now regularly winning contests and taking marks.

I wouldn't drop Schache, he chased and scrapped for ground balls all day but just couldn't get into it otherwise. The problem was bigger than him, for all the good things Walker did he wasn't a goal threat at all and ****** up a couple of great opportunities. I think Schache's set shot at the end was the only time you could say one of our kpfs actually had a great chance at goal.

I'd say it's because Walker was expected to lead up, mark and create rather than focus on personal goal opportunities. Schache having a set shot at goal prior to the siren being the sole time our kpfs "actually had a great chance at goal" doesn't excuse them. We were poor going forward but they also spoiled the opportunities to have a great chance at goal. I rate Josh and I won't care if he's kept at senior level because he's clearly our future and the club would feel we benefit more from him learning from his mistakes at that level but some of his basic efforts made me feel he needs to go back to the ressies to fix them before he's ready to improve the senior team.

Fantastic effort from your boys today! Should be damn proud. Wouldn't surprise me if you're fighting for a spot in the 8 either next year or the year after.

I'm a Schache defender and believe he cops unfair criticism but he was deadset poor today. The benefit of the doubt might be given on the basis that he didn't come up after the Perth trip but I don't know that the travel would have impacted that much.

When you've got a couple of tall forwards busting a gut all game and another one seemingly going through the motions, it really stands out.

It didn't make the difference between a win and a loss but there are 3 or 4 blokes in the Reserves who are all putting their hand up for selection in our forward line.

Schache was bad - think he needs to develop in the NEAFL till he can body opponents he won't learn it in the AFL

Hipwood played about as bad a game as ive seen anyone play. But he will be right still cracks in

Mcluggage I'm sick of watching him do nothing & butcher the ball. Will be very different for him next year. At some point he will have to earn his spot. He's got the talent just looks to take it too easy for mine.

Thought we missed Mayes. Small defenders were out numbered and disorganised far to often.

Like Allison worth playing for the last few games.

Berry rising star nom surely

Clearances & ball use going inside 50 cost us the win. We butchered far too many goal scoring opportunities

And I still haven't forgiven walker for that miss. He should've given it off for the open goal. Cost him my vote for best on

Back