Review Round 20, 2017 - Brisbane Lions vs. Western Bulldogs

Who were your five best players against the Bulldogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a Schache defender and believe he cops unfair criticism but he was deadset poor today. The benefit of the doubt might be given on the basis that he didn't come up after the Perth trip but I don't know that the travel would have impacted that much.

When you've got a couple of tall forwards busting a gut all game and another one seemingly going through the motions, it really stands out.

It didn't make the difference between a win and a loss but there are 3 or 4 blokes in the Reserves who are all putting their hand up for selection in our forward line.

He just doesn't seem to want it enough unfortunately.

Schache reminds of Jack Watts. A high draft pick with a lot of expectation and just not meeting those expectations. His first season for a first year KPF was quite good IMO. I was concerned when he came this season and hadn't looked like he had put on any size at all. I think he'll just take along time like Watts but will be a player we will need later down the track.

Being 3pts up at the 20 minute mark of the last quarter is a huge positive. The result flattered us really, they're kicking for goal kept us in it. Given we won ruck hitouts 45 to 31, how did we turn around and lose centre clearances 20 to 7? It's an area of our game that needs a lot of work. We also don't seem to have enough numbers at the bottom of the packs, they smashed us if we didn't mark it. Still I thought that was a definite improvement on our loss earlier in the year, in the contest for longer, and we muffed quite a few opportunities that we could have scored from. Mcluggage's decisions & skills going inside 50 were not great, but he'll learn from it.

I think Close would have offered more than Schache tonight, and given we now only play AFL sides in the NEAFL and then finals, I think there's positive development wherever Josh plays. Maybe one more game for him, but I'm not convinced he's in the best 22 at the moment. Close also deserves a few games in a row, given his NEAFL form in the 2nd half of the season.

First home game for the year and first thing I noticed was the fans around me bad mouthing Schache. He doesn't want it enough, use your body, get some mongrel etc.

I must admit I thought I was in the minority when it comes to Schache. Watching him live it's pretty embarrassing. He just doesn't offer anything at all. He just jogs from one place to another and what makes it worst is that he blocks up space for our other forwards.

Really needs some time off and hit the gym hard. Having a bigger and stronger body might give him a bit more confidence. Long off season for him IMO.

I don't think I have seen a more impressive individual at the Lions since the glory days in Jarrod Berry. Gosh he is everything you want in a player.
My boy Jarrod, he is class personified, love him .
Our new Vossy !

Schache really needs to harden up a bit and attack the footy. Several times tonight he just waited for the opposition to get the footy instead of throwing his body in himself. So frustrating to watch
He was absolutely awful tonight. I would have been more effective in the game than him. Very, very poor. Showed no effort or fight, and no ability.

Conversely, how good was Josh Walker? Played a fantastic game. He probably didn't trouble the stats too much (I haven't looked) but his impact on the game was huge. He was super smart in his shepherds and taps and Schache and Hipwood could learn from him. Rich had his best game in a while too.

Overall I've come away reasonably satisfied from that game. We could have won it but in reality, they just had that little bit extra in the last quarter. That and the ineptitude of the umps anyway (three ball ups then goal when two of those ball ups should have been HTB). Based on the opposition and their current form, the result was acceptable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This Schache being s**t thing is not new, he has not played a good game since being here. Slow across the ground and between the ears. Massive concerns, no noticeable elite attributes.
Do you suffer from amnesia?
He absolutely did not.

Today was one of the worst games I've seen Schache play to the extent that he looked injured.

I'd be replacing him with just about any of the talls from the NEAFL.

The Dogs do throw it a lot and it's no more clear than live at the game - incredible.
That's fair. His season just really hasn't gone anywhere since that injury in pre-season unfortunately.
I'd say it's because Walker was expected to lead up, mark and create rather than focus on personal goal opportunities. Schache having a set shot at goal prior to the siren being the sole time our kpfs "actually had a great chance at goal" doesn't excuse them. We were poor going forward but they also spoiled the opportunities to have a great chance at goal. I rate Josh and I won't care if he's kept at senior level because he's clearly our future and the club would feel we benefit more from him learning from his mistakes at that level but some of his basic efforts made me feel he needs to go back to the ressies to fix them before he's ready to improve the senior team.
I forgot about that goal Walker missed from straight in front, completely inexplicable. I think Walker and Close are in fairly similar positions as forwards, they can some nice things but just don't finish their work off very often and don't really give the impression that they have much scope for improvement in that area either.

This Schache being s**t thing is not new, he has not played a good game since being here. Slow across the ground and between the ears. Massive concerns, no noticeable elite attributes.

Yes, thank you! Someone sees what I've seen for a while. Even when I've watched warmups, I've never seen him go hard and put in a flat out effort. Either that or he just moves really slowly in general because he isn't that switched on upstairs. I have never seen traits that warranted pick 2. He doesn't use his body, doesn't follow up on contests, he is too slow to lead up and take marks inside 50, and he complains every time the ball doesn't hit him in the chest. Yet because he was pick 2, people have just assumed he was going to develop into our saviour. Always confused me.

I forgot about that goal Walker missed from straight in front, completely inexplicable. I think Walker and Close are in fairly similar positions as forwards, they can some nice things but just don't finish their work off very often and don't really give the impression that they have much scope for improvement in that area either.

Depends if you judge their games on goal kicking or how they help us move the ball. The finishing will come. Walker's marking up the field was huge for us tonight. I think they've both improved this year and should have played more games than what they have. Walker 8 games. Close 7 games. Both still young, developing players.

Few moments in the 4th really summed it up. Hipwood dropping that uncontested mark in front, Berry breaking the line and missing Hippy with the handball and open paddock ahead, and Squizzy getting done holding the ball from the centre square bounce instead of getting it inside 50. These were all while we were up/down by less than a score I think. Difference makers.

My boy Jarrod, he is class personified, love him .
Our new Vossy !

Funny how we see different things in the same person.

You see Vossy....I see Browny and Elixuh sees Selwood

Doesn't matter, we all see a future champion of our team. He really is a beauty, so glad he is a Lion.

Hope the club pays him a fortune to stay that way.

Schache was embarrassing. Needs the rest of the year off and a serious mental reset.

If Schache was picked in the Rookie draft and Hammelmann was pick 2 I'm honestly not sure if you could point out that much of a difference based off this year.

Needs time, and that might not be enough for him. Not confident at all that he'll be a player for us.

Yes, thank you! Someone sees what I've seen for a while. Even when I've watched warmups, I've never seen him go hard and put in a flat out effort. Either that or he just moves really slowly in general because he isn't that switched on upstairs. I have never seen traits that warranted pick 2. He doesn't use his body, doesn't follow up on contests, he is too slow to lead up and take marks inside 50, and he complains every time the ball doesn't hit him in the chest. Yet because he was pick 2, people have just assumed he was going to develop into our saviour. Always confused me.
One thing you never see him do is turn quickly. If I'm the defender and Schache is coming to close me down, I shimmy one way and turn the other and I'm out of sight. I don't know whether it is a physical or mental issue.

I kinda regret joining the "stacks on" Schache now. Can't forget he is still very young and not even close to being the final product. Yes, it was a very poor game but let's not be too harsh.

He's had a poor year. Just have to erase it from his memory I think, absolutely nothing of value to come from it. Worst second year blues I've seen in a long time.

I can understand wanting to forget our 2016 season, but really.
Depends if you judge their games on goal kicking or how they help us move the ball. The finishing will come. Walker's marking up the field was huge for us tonight. I think they've both improved this year and should have played more games than what they have. Walker 8 games. Close 7 games. Both still young, developing players.
The finishing might come, but even at neafl level close is really good without being quite there in terms of ability to capitalise on his chances. Walker is a bit better, but still not quite there and probably never will be. He's serviceable, and that's enough for now. Close would probably be more useful to a team with fewer tall options like Richmond or Collingwood, especially if we get Ballenden.
I kinda regret joining the "stacks on" Schache now. Can't forget he is still very young and not even close to being the final product. Yes, it was a very poor game but let's not be too harsh.
I can understand the frustration with his season, but the number of people just ignoring all the good work he did last year makes me incredibly mad.
Developing kpfs isn't easy and, while things aren't going perfectly for him at the moment, they could also be a whole lot worse.

Back