Review Round 20, 2017 - Brisbane Lions vs. Western Bulldogs

Who were your five best players against the Bulldogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny how we see different things in the same person.

You see Vossy....I see Browny and Elixuh sees Selwood

Doesn't matter, we all see a future champion of our team. He really is a beauty, so glad he is a Lion.

Hope the club pays him a fortune to stay that way.

And I think the qualities that all 3 of those players have are skill, leadership and tough around the contest.

Can we all just take a moment and appreciate how far Bastinac has come in terms of form this season. Blokes had a brilliant month and his 2 goals in the last to put us in front were sensational
Also has been automatic in front of goal. I would say he is the best set shot at the club.

I just discovered the tracker section of the AFL app. Cherry picking stats a little but...

Total distance covered
(BNE) N.Robbo 16.5km
(BNE) R.Lester 15.2km
(WB) L.Young 15.2km
(BNE) J.Barrett 15.2km
(WB) L.Picken 14.7km

Total distance covered at high speed
(BNE) N.Robbo 3.2km
(WB) S.Biggs 2.6km
(WB) L.Picken 2.6km
(BNE D.Zorko 2.6km
(WB) M.Suckling 2.5km

Average moving speed
(BNE) N.Robbo 9.1kph
(BNE) J.Schache 9.1kph
(WB) C.Daniel 9.0kph
(WB) L.Dahlhaus 8.9kph
(BNE) R.Mathieson 8.9kph

The interesting one though - Average speed in attack
(BNE) N.Robbo 8.6kph
(BNE) J.Barrett 8.2kph
(BNE) R.Lester 7.9kph
(BNE) J.Walker 7.7kph
(BNE) R.Mathieson 7.7kph

Average speed in defense
(WB) L.Young 8.7kph
(BNE) N.Robbo 8.6kph
(WB) L.Picken 7.8kph
(WB) S.Biggs 7.8kph
(WB) C.Daniel 7.8kph

Wow, Robbo. Wow.

Last edited:
It's weird feeling so confident when Basti lines up for a set shot - was watching the game with a Carlton supporting friend who seemed shocked Basti was taking the shots in the last rather than passing it off, I had no hesitation in saying "no chance he misses". Great string he's added to his bow.

Not upset about the game overall. Would have liked the win but the fight after quarter time was excellent. Walker and Allison, despite a couple of errors, were fantastic. Great to see Rich looking so composed too. Will never get tired of his goals from 60m.

Would love Berry to get a rising star nom but very hard to see that happening after Luke Ryan's game last night...

Schache is did seem soft last night. That said he reminds me a lot of a young Nick Riewoldt. Every lions fan knows he was sook as a young player, but he hardened up and finishes his career this year as one of the best half forwards of his era. Schache could do the same thing.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Every single one of us doubters would love for that to be the case..

2.3 yeah not thinking wow and for an apparent dead-eye playing deep forward that's not great. Just want something to base optimism on and not getting it.

If you don't think his game against the Eagles last year showed he could be a good forward than your concern is misplaced.

If he put together 5 or 6 of those games this season I wouldn't be concerned at all. The fact that he's regressed so far from what he showed last year is what scares me about his devlopment

If you don't think his game against the Eagles last year showed he could be a good forward than your concern is misplaced.

If he put together 5 or 6 of those games this season I wouldn't be concerned at all. The fact that he's regressed so far from what he showed last year is what scares me about his devlopment
So not sure if you agree or not? I reckon if Sam Sheldon had played deep forward for 20 games he would have kicked a small bad at some stage.

All in all an ok game where we lost in the opening term.

Walker is definitely playing for his career. He covered so much ground last night and was an option all day. Took some nice marks.

I think once we got going we matched cotested balls but lacked composure. Beams rocky and zorks had an indifferent night. Would have been nice to have 1 or 2 of them fire.

I've always been big on the ability to use your body, be aggressive and attack at the contest hard. That for mine is the bare minimum of what is required to be an AFL footballer. Plenty of highly talented players have failed because they didn't have these traits, while plenty have succeeded even if they aren't the most naturally talented because they do.

I had my concerns with Schache lack of aggression and using his body before he was even drafted (was told it was a no issue by most 'draft watchers') so it's not like I've been 'hard' on him for 1 game. Leuenberger was another who I could just never see being a great player because he was limited by his desire for the contest as well even though he has been arguably the most talented ruckman to be drafted in the past 10 years.

What concerns me most though is that you rarely see a player develop a harder edge over time... and Schache is coming from a very long way back in this regard.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find the Schache debate a little premature, though it will be interesting to see how it pans out in light of his career. Of more significance to our team and our immediate prospects is how we are going to turn our midfield around so that we have a unit that is capable of dominating our rivals when it comes to clearances, particularly centre clearances. We got smashed AGAIN in the middle yesterday (7-20) and as Dylan12 correctly pointed out during the game, this has been a problem for over a decade. The only solution I can see is to recruit our way out of this problem, because our current midfield is not up to it, despite accumulating possessions around the ground. This said, I am not suggesting dumping players, but rebranding them. Rockliff could play out his career as a tagger / forward pocket, Zorko is a gun half forward who should rotate through the midfield without having to carry it and Beams needs support. Thoughts?

Last edited:
When you lose so many key stats and still have a chance to win late in the game, the coach has nailed the game plan.
Allison is quickly turning into the find of our season for me. Just so much potential there and from the very start last week looked like he belonged. We know he can run and kick long but also some of his tackling has been exceptional. Witherden and Berry have been great but were very highly rated anyway. I reckon Lyon could be another unrated one who might just surprise if he gets a chance.

Jacob Allison has a lot to like about him. I watched him on the wing quite closely when he played over my side of the field and he has a very good feel for the context of the moment.

He knew when to hare off down field and when to just hold position slightly longer or fold back further in defence. He seems, like all natural wingers, to feel the space around him and know how to use it. He had a couple of long kicks that were perfectly judged to put a man in the clear.

Early days, but I like the way he plays.

I find the Schache debate a little premature, though it will be interesting to see how it pans out in light of his career.

Sorry to pick out this bit, but I've got a feeling the discussion is occurring because he's not the only option as a young KPF. If we didn't have Hipwood I think there'd be less talk about it.

Agree on the rest of your post - the middle is the concern and has been for ages.

It looked like our talls let us down more so than previous weeks, unable to take contested marks & basic skill errors. Possibly the difference between taking the 4 points yesterday. If we can work on that during the week there's no doubt that we'll be victorious next week.

I just discovered the tracker section of the AFL app. Cherry picking stats a little but...

Total distance covered
(BNE) N.Robbo 16.5km
(BNE) R.Lester 15.2km
(WB) L.Young 15.2km
(BNE) J.Barrett 15.2km
(WB) L.Picken 14.7km

Total distance covered at high speed
(BNE) N.Robbo 3.2km
(WB) S.Biggs 2.6km
(WB) L.Picken 2.6km
(BNE D.Zorko 2.6km
(WB) M.Suckling 2.5km

Average moving speed
(BNE) N.Robbo 9.1kph
(BNE) J.Schache 9.1kph
(WB) C.Daniel 9.0kph
(WB) L.Dahlhaus 8.9kph
(BNE) R.Mathieson 8.9kph

The interesting one though - Average speed in attack
(BNE) N.Robbo 8.6kph
(BNE) J.Barrett 8.2kph
(BNE) R.Lester 7.9kph
(BNE) J.Walker 7.7kph
(BNE) R.Mathieson 7.7kph

Average speed in defense
(WB) L.Young 8.7kph
(BNE) N.Robbo 8.6kph
(WB) L.Picken 7.8kph
(WB) S.Biggs 7.8kph
(WB) C.Daniel 7.8kph

Wow, Robbo. Wow.

Those stats are quite extraordinary. He really has been a revelation this year. Hopefully he signs very soon.

1.3km further than anyone else is remarkable, and a fair amount of it at high speed!

The only player who might come close to him as most improved would be Squizzy, but I think Nick has just been so impressive in a difficult defensive role.

My thoughts on the main issues

I think rich has really benefited from witherden. They go to each other a bit & gets us an extra 50m up the field with quality disposal. It's really allowed him to get up the field without needing to be responsible to hang around the last line of defence. Really optimistic about where rich can take his game to. And making Jason pm eat his words is an added bonus

Schache does the running and making position well. He doesn't use his size enough. Which might take a couple of years to come on & will probably never be his strength. But he strikes me as a player who will be better in a better team. If we were getting 30+ more inside 50s he's have a lot more opportunity to make an impact up forward. And if we won a few clean clearances we could actually spot him up on a lead which is clearly his preferred way to find the footy.
I'd still like to see him dropped as I want some wins out of the last 3 games & close would be the better player right now.

And I'm in complete agreement with forward we go.... * clouds! Who do they think they are anyway, sitting up there acting all high & mighty. It's about time someone put them in their place.

Sorry to pick out this bit, but I've got a feeling the discussion is occurring because he's not the only option as a young KPF. If we didn't have Hipwood I think there'd be less talk about it.

Agree on the rest of your post - the middle is the concern and has been for ages.
All good. I would personally give Schache the rest of the year in the Reserves and promote our mate Archie or Close for the rest of the season.

Smiling ear to ear thinking about last night.

No way in a million years we put out that performance last year. Mostly due to coaching, also because our draftees are making a huge impact.

Tide turning

2.3 yeah not thinking wow and for an apparent dead-eye playing deep forward that's not great. Just want something to base optimism on and not getting it.

Clearly not a dead eye dick but he did have 5 shots on goals which is an encouraging sign for a first year kpf

Back