Review Round 20, 2017 - Brisbane Lions vs. Western Bulldogs

Who were your five best players against the Bulldogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Which I would guess reflects our low rate of clearances from centre stoppages (he says without checking any stats).
We are currently 7th overall for clearances.
But cant find a stat that separates the 2.
Stoppage and Centre clearances.
But i am sure i have heard that we are around 5th or 6th for stoppage and 18th for centre clearances.

We are currently 7th overall for clearances.
But cant find a stat that separates the 2.
Stoppage and Centre clearances.
But i am sure i have heard that we are around 5th or 6th for stoppage and 18th for centre clearances.
That sounds about right.

We need clearance beasts - any out there unloved at other clubs ? No real need for speed of foot - just get it out. And .. there's Yeo and Docherty .. and our small defenders are super brittle.

That sounds bad!
Its an area we need to work on.
You would probably think that atleast 75% of centre clearances result in an inside 50. Helps to solve the inside 50 count as well.
Yep :(

Lester runs that line of mediocre enough to draw concerns but then does the occasional thing that makes you forget his previous issues. Its odd.

Schache is just...he doesnt have that aggressive streak that most forwards need to have to compete in the modern game. He can still make it, not writing him off, he just wont be that dominating physical presence we need. Connor B will likely fill that roll and Schache will be relegated to...third forward maybe?

I find that with each passing year I'm becoming meaner, angrier & more aggressive. It's early days, give him time.

We need clearance beasts - any out there unloved at other clubs ? No real need for speed of foot - just get it out. And .. there's Yeo and Docherty .. and our small defenders are super brittle.
Nah speed is exactly the problem we have in clearances, we have no one who can burst out of a stoppage or chase their opponent when they do the same. Zorko's quick, but he's better at receiving than winning it himself.

Just watched the game and my comments:
Taylor is one of our most important players now. Fantastic disposal, creative and a good link up role.
Umps were s**t, not giving us frees for one thing but giving them to the Bulldogs
Allison and his lonk kicking will help us immensly, just needs to work on his short kicking.
Martin was fantastic in the ruck, giving it to our players throats.
Walker adds a lot to our team with his marking on bail out kicks. 1 stupid error tho with that missed goal.
Don't feel like this is the gameplan to win premierships imo. We should learn how to defend 1st and how to do defensive running. Much easier to learn offensive running than defensive.
I don't think Hippy should have been rested, was great before the rest and now looks out of touch.
McCluggage's disposal isn't great and he is pretty selfish around goals. Will be a good player but needs to be a team player.
Schache needs to go to the reserves for the remained of the season, no confidence and not impacting enough
Our disposal is wierd. When we are going, it is awesome but often it is ugly.
Berry will be a superstar
Young kids did fantastic and so did Zorko

I was fortunate to be able to see the game live last night and then this morning watch it again via replay. As Coach Fagan said in last nights presser, the main issues why we were beaten was our lack of contested ball wins at stoppages & center clearances along with only having 37 inside 50's . Obviously you cant score without the ball coming into the forward line enough to kick a winning score. That being said, find it a little difficult to say our forwards let us down. Sure we fluffed some opportunities but we also had some impressive efforts that gave us full reward unexpectedly. IMO, Steff Martin was pretty good but the Bulldogs mids were way too good for us on the night.

When you lose the centre square nearly every time, and so easily the opposition have ten (at a minimum ) extra inside 50s.

I would like to see the inside 50 stats with these taken out!!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm surprised that the talk about Schache focuses on his contested work. The roll I think he's playing at the moment is more about providing a target around the ground and being a link. Whilst I think some of the "soft" comments are valid, they aren't really my main concern. His disposal on the other hand, has been terrible. While he's missing targets the way he has been, he is a liability. I'm happy for him to have all the time he needs to find that aggression and strength he needs, but until he can use the ball he does get, I think he's helping no one, last of all himself. His confidence is shot, and I don't think stinking it up in the seniors will help. Close has been playing a similar role, and pretty nicely. I hope that change is made so we can snaffle a win or two.

Again though, people should be a very long way off writing Schache off.

I'm surprised that the talk about Schache focuses on his contested work. The roll I think he's playing at the moment is more about providing a target around the ground and being a link. Whilst I think some of the "soft" comments are valid, they aren't really my main concern. His disposal on the other hand, has been terrible. While he's missing targets the way he has been, he is a liability. I'm happy for him to have all the time he needs to find that aggression and strength he needs, but until he can use the ball he does get, I think he's helping no one, last of all himself. His confidence is shot, and I don't think stinking it up in the seniors will help. Close has been playing a similar role, and pretty nicely. I hope that change is made so we can snaffle a win or two.

Again though, people should be a very long way off writing Schache off.

He can't take a mark or even get close when his opponent applies the slightest amount of body contact in the lead up to the marking contest. He can't expect to get a free run at the ball Everytime.

And it's not that he doesn't mark it but he gets well beaten often leading to a turnover. And he gets outbodied by much smaller opponents.

He's taken 1 contested mark in 9 games this year and has 5 goals in 9 games. On form he shouldn't be close to playing in the seniors.

He can't take a mark or even get close when his opponent applies the slightest amount of body contact in the lead up to the marking contest. He can't expect to get a free run at the ball Everytime.

And it's not that he doesn't mark it but he gets well beaten often leading to a turnover. And he gets outbodied by much smaller opponents.

He's taken 1 contested mark in 9 games this year and has 5 goals in 9 games. On form he shouldn't be close to playing in the seniors.
Yep. Didn't say his contested work was good, just surprised that's the focus. These things will improve (I hope). What is really killing us though is his disposal.

Yep. Didn't say his contested work was good, just surprised that's the focus. These things will improve (I hope). What is really killing us though is his disposal.

I actually think his disposal is reasonble.

I do however share the frustration of others at his apparent inability to impact on a contest.

He regularly gets brushed aside like a damp lettuce leaf. I want to believe that it's just a matter of him beefing up physically bit I can't help worrying that there's a lack of mental hardness in his game that's going to take a lot more hard work to overcome. I don't have these concerns about Hippy even if he did have a stinker of a game last night.

I'd like tink that he will develop both a mental and physical edge to his game but at this stage for me it really is hope rather than confidence

I actually think his disposal is reasonble.

I do however share the frustration of others at his apparent inability to impact on a contest.

He regularly gets brushed aside like a damp lettuce leaf. I want to believe that it's just a matter of him beefing up physically bit I can't help worrying that there's a lack of mental hardness in his game that's going to take a lot more hard work to overcome. I don't have these concerns about Hippy even if he did have a stinker of a game last night.

I'd like tink that he will develop both a mental and physical edge to his game but at this stage for me it really is hope rather than confidence
Exactly. I think when people (including myself) say that Schache plays too soft, they're not expecting him to go out and win the majority of 1 on 1s with more seasoned key defenders. It's the manner in which he's losing those contests. It seems to be rare that you see Schache straining and fighting with everything he's got to win a marking contest. Even against other young under developed players he seems to get outworked. He did show more in his first season,but looks to have regressed. I'd be happy to just have Walker and Hipwood as the only talls forward for the remainder of the season and play with a smaller forward line that can add more tackling pressure.

Can we all just take a moment and appreciate how far Bastinac has come in terms of form this season. Blokes had a brilliant month and his 2 goals in the last to put us in front were sensational
Can't help but agree. Was told to go back to the ressies and develop his game. Has come back and improved with almost every game. A credit to the coaching tema and Basti. Our most reliable kick for goal at present as well.

His disposal is poor but not his biggest concern given he is only getting it 5 or 6 times a game. His ability to impact any contest is almost negligible. The lead up marks on the wing won't compensate for it. And while he is no doubt following orders that tactic is employed because he can offer nothing up forward either by way of a contest or his goal kicking which is shite. It must be confidence. He has the tools. We must be patient but he is not deserving of a senior spot at the moment.

Gardiner played a great game, I have been a critic but he really does put his body on the line over and over for his team.
Loved Walkers efforts too, might have saved his career these last 3 weeks.
Hipwood and McCluggage were so off the pace it was silly.. a break in continuity hurt.
Lewy Taylor and Rich played great games.

Gardiner played a great game, I have been a critic but he really does put his body on the line over and over for his team.
Loved Walkers efforts too, might have saved his career these last 3 weeks.
Hipwood and McCluggage were so off the pace it was silly.. a break in continuity hurt.
Lewy Taylor and Rich played great games.
I think all 5 that were either rested, injured or suspended will be better for the run. And GCS will need to watch out. Could end Eade's coaching career - effective immediately.

Yeah, that was a really solid game by Dizzy. Probably a little unlucky not to be in the votes more (didn't make my top 5 either so not criticising anyone). It probably just proves the point that his good games don't always get recognised but his poor ones attract criticism.

It really is a nice balance in defence when he and NRobbo play alongside Rich, Witherden, Mayes, Cox etc. You need a bit of grunt to go alongside the flashier attacking types.

Yeah, that was a really solid game by Dizzy. Probably a little unlucky not to be in the votes more (didn't make my top 5 either so not criticising anyone). It probably just proves the point that his good games don't always get recognised but his poor ones attract criticism.

It really is a nice balance in defence when he and NRobbo play alongside Rich, Witherden, Mayes, Cox etc. You need a bit of grunt to go alongside the flashier attacking types.
Just goes to show that when the pressure is on further up the ground (it wasnt great but it was better than it has been), our defenders are under knowhere near as much pressure and are able to perform at a much higher level.
He had a great game.

Ghee you lot are so harsh on Shache I'll come back to him first some positives.

Daniel Rich another fantastic game.

Bastinac underrated super consistent since being dropped by Fagan. His disposal has gone from being one of the worst to one of the best. Must've all been between the ears for him big tick to the coaching staff.

Allisons first half was the best we've seen from a first year to date. Faded in the second but my god what a start.

I don't know how shache cops it so hard on this board. He is 19 years old. Just on natural strength you ever had to spar/play footy with or have some sort of physical contest with a teenager even if he's almighty bigger than you? He has so much room to grow, even just the natural strength you gain as your body hardens as you get older. Jesus in an elite sporting environment he's going to be a monster guy in a few years. Give him a break wow you're absolutely daft to have expected anything of him in his first four years.

Kids against men right now. Yes a lot of them are doing great but give em a chance to grow into men before we start putting the bullet through them.

Back