Autopsy Round 20, 2021: St.Kilda v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Or list management is very clear they don’t want Lonie there next year
So list management is deciding weekly team selection instead of form? That sounds pretty professional mate. Could be costing us games if we’re sticking with Kent & Long just because of some low cost trigger.
Can’t wait to see who we bring in for the 9th & 10th space on our list, bound to be jets.

So list management is deciding weekly team selection instead of form? That sounds pretty professional mate. Could be costing us games if we’re sticking with Kent & Long just because of some low cost trigger.
Can’t wait to see who we bring in for the 9th & 10th space on our list, bound to be jets.
Maybe just go and watch Lonie s last senior game and it’s not real hard to work out why he is not getting picked
He was pathetic

Last edited:

Maybe just go and watch Lonie s last senior game and it’s not real hard to work out why he is not getting pick
He was pathetic
But that’s a totally different reason for not picking him than what you have been saying.

But that’s a totally different reason for not picking him than what you have been saying.
No it’s not
The club realises he is not that good and don’t want him there

Well the club look like a bunch of ******* idiots right now anyway.
Yes it does, but not playing Lonie or looking at moving him on isn’t one of the reasons

Paddy is a great "ruckman", Marshall is a good "follower".
Marshall was top 3 ruckmen in the league in 2019. It was Grundy, then Gawn, then Roma. I'm getting really sick of this "Roma's not really a great ruckman", he's not the best tap ruckman ever but *ing oath is he a good ruckman overall. Could've and should've asserted himself upon the game and frankly I'm disappointed he didn't expect better from himself with Paddy out.

A big disappointment against Carlton was how Marshall, who is a pretty good ruckman, just didn't assert himself against sh*t opponents, and how a few of our more experienced players just ran around and got enough of the ball, but didn't have much effect at all..just playing for themselves. Our forward half is really low quality, and a few handfuls of goals here and there from Max won't get us up the tree. Pretty average tactically too.
Need to make some tough calls on the playing list over summer.
Didn't assert himself? 22 disposals and 46 hit-outs not assertive enough? We smashed them all day in the ruck, our failure came from the inability to win clearance from our ruck dominance. It was the midfielders that lost us the game.

We are in that awful point of not quite being good enough but too far down the road to turn back.
That's an appropriate view in isolation but l don't think it holds water with context applied.
An overarching problem for us is cohesion. It's hard enough to develop that in such a short time as 1 preseason but then bam we get totally reamed with injuries to starting 22 players coz sammm put up that phuking thread.
Then we have an epically awful fixture along with massive selection volatility and we're caught out with incorrect tactics for the new rules.

In simplistic terms, the waves of adversity this year have been significant enough to cancel the effect of any improvement. That doesn't mean that improvement hasn't happened.

It's the season we needed. It's obvious that too much bath water was drunk during off season, and with the fixture and injuries it was always gonna be a train wreck.

Assuming we can keep a fit squad we should expect to see the gains made this year materialize in 2022 then we can make a more educated judgment, but at the end of the day we've got Steele and Max King to build a team around and we must continue forward. Momentum is everything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't assert himself? 22 disposals and 46 hit-outs not assertive enough? We smashed them all day in the ruck, our failure came from the inability to win clearance from our ruck dominance. It was the midfielders that lost us the game.
You will find that many of his taps went nowhere near our players.

Yes it does, but not playing Lonie or looking at moving him on isn’t one of the reasons
In 2020 we were 2nd in the league for goal kicking accuracy this year we are again in the bottom 3 teams as we were in 2018 and 2019-makes a massive difference-most games we win the inside 50 count -scour the land for the best available FWD coach

You will find that many of his taps went nowhere near our players.
We won clearance by three, the midfields inability to make use of the ruck dominance was the reason we lost.

The midfield can only work with the service they get. While they were lackluster, they got far from perfect service.
I guess we need to see hitouts to advantage

Despite Marshall and Hunter having 67 - 10 HOs, only 32.8% were to advantage.

That screams sh*t service. It should have been a training drill.
I guess what I'm saying is we were +21 in hitouts to advantage, if we converted even half of those to clearances we would've won clearance by near on a dozen and we are ranked 1st I think for retaining the ball inside our forward 50 so a good chunk of those clearances could've resulted in scores. We probably would've won the game if the mids could've made more of the 21 times we had first use compared to Carltons 3..who were running on about 30% like we were...10 hitouts 3 to advantage.

I guess what I'm saying is we were +21 in hitouts to advantage, if we converted even half of those to clearances we would've won clearance by near on a dozen and we are ranked 1st I think for retaining the ball inside our forward 50 so a good chunk of those clearances could've resulted in scores. We probably would've won the game if the mids could've made more of the 21 times we had first use compared to Carltons 3..who were running on about 30% like we were...10 hitouts 3 to advantage.

I‘m still lost for words over that game and how rubbish we were.
We need a team hypnotherapist, because until we sort out how to play under any expectation at all, we are going nowhere.

Just flat. What a wasted season.

30% for Carlton is to be expected given Silvagni playing in the ruck. There's no point of comparison to be made there.

To have 39 clearances despite only 20-odd of the hitouts being to advantage is actually a positive, and that's reinforced by the contested possessions stat.

Our poor disposal and tactical decision-making is not a reflection of the clearances. There's either a massive problem with stoppage communication or the ability for Marshall to get the tap where he wants it to go.

I‘m still lost for words over that game and how rubbish we were.
We need a team hypnotherapist, because until we sort out how to play under any expectation at all, we are going nowhere.

Just flat. What a wasted season.
Yep I have thought for a long time that skills or tactics or whatever else isn't the problem, the problem has been for many years now our inability to compete under any expectation. I first noticed it in 2016 and it has been a reoccurring theme for this group since then. We don't show up in prime time or if we have an opportunity to better our position. The outlier was last year but it seems like we've gone back to what we know this year.

I said the other day that this upcoming preseason will probably break a few players psychologically but I think we need to find out who is up to it and who isn't. Ratten shot himself in the foot this year by gifting games to players but I think he knows another year like this and he is gone, so I think he'll work them very hard...not to mention Lethlean Rath Roughead don't put up with that s**t and won't hesitate moving players on if they aren't up to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back