Autopsy Round 20, 2023: Hawthorn v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes 22 intercept possessions down to only 8. I wish we could do that every game against the oppositions key interceptors who seem to often wrack up high intercept numbers against us.
Well hopefully we learn from this for future interceptors.

RTB certainly did. Ratts wouldn’t have changed anything and Sicily would have had an encore.

This whole stupid back and forth started because I laughed at us going after plonkers like Tarryn Thomas and Tom Jonas

I'm sorry :(
sddefault.jpg

I don't take your stuff as seriously as others but gee wizz mate how can you keep fronting up week after week lol

My perspective is it’s a game played by 20 something year old kids getting paid zillions. Take it seriously at the risk of your own health is my take on it.

Try to have a laugh at every opportunity, it’s a game.

Season votes after this round

55+: Sinclair (58 votes from 11 games voted in)
50+:
45+:
40+: Wilkie (43 from 8)
35+: Marshall (37 from 7)
30+:
25+: Owens (25 from 5)
20+:
15+: Wanganeen-Milera (19 from 4), Wood (19 from 4), Crouch (16 from 4), Steele (15 from 6)
10+: Higgins (10 from 2)
5+: Hill (9 from 3)
1+: Butler (3 from 2), Battle (2 from 1), King (2 from 2), Phillipou (2 from 1), Ross (2 from 2), Byrnes (1), Sharman (1)

0: Gresham (18 games played), Howard (18), Stocker (18), Caminiti (16), Windhager (14), Clark (14), Paton (12), Webster (12), Cordy (9), Bytel (6), Membrey (4), Jones (4), Billings (3), Peris (1)

How good is Owens with 25 and Nas with 19 coaches votes in their second seasons.
Would of thought , Nas would have more votes

Well hopefully we learn from this for future interceptors.

RTB certainly did. Ratts wouldn’t have changed anything and Sicily would have had an encore.

Exactly. We played smarter with the interceptor.

I watched last quarter of the Feo/Cats game and a key reason why they won was that they with their forward entries kept Stewart and DeKoning out of the game. No easy intercept marks for them.

I have no idea what happened in the first 3 quarters, but in that last quarter Freo were very smart in how they went forward.

There is a great deal to like in how we played yesterday. There were many passages of play that were exciting and unstoppable, except when we'd stuff it up ourselves. After our prolonged mid-season slump, due to injury after injury and the inability to put the same players in the same positions for consecutive weeks to properly get the game plan into gear, it is quite understandable if no Saints fan believed we could turn it around this season.

But we did. Despite all the factors against us we played as well as we have for years for a lot of that game. I think it is unrealistic, considering all the circumstances that have been extensively* (*understatement alert - "obsessively" is correct term) canvassed on BF, to expect much better this year. Our players and coaches have been forced to be creative, innovative and "experimental" before the first game of the season. And every game since. The simple fact that we are able to turn it on like yesterday we did shows enormous courage and belief. We got a lot of things right, and still got reamed by many umpiring decisions.

Among the many highlights yesterday was something I don't think I've seen at all this year, but which would terrorise any opposition coach/team. Gresh, Higgins and Butler all sprinting together down the forward flank into the 50 sharing the ball by hand. You just knew it would result in a goal, but who it would be was the mystery. Anyone of them could kick it and it seemed they had the shared understanding that the person who got to take the shot would be whoever was in the best possible position to do so. To me that was team first footy coaching drilled into action, as, let's be real here, Higgo, Gresh and Butler running towards goal with a footy would be like herding cats. Selfish, indulgent cats!

What does that game mean to the rest of the season? Belief, that's what. The players know they actually can do it. The problem, of course, is which players get to do it as yet again we are going to lose at least a couple of the important starting 22 from yesterday.
good post

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is how the media rates us. typical

15. ST KILDA (10-8, 104.7%)

Last week’s ranking:

We have no faith in the Saints, it’s as simple as that. They limped over the line against North Melbourne, keeping their season alive, but at this point everyone knows their ladder position of 6th is fraudulent. That’s not to say the wins don’t count, but when you’re beating the bottom two - who’ve won three games combined this year - by a combined 16 points, they don’t count for much. If the season ended right now the Saints would be hosting a final... and they head into the weekend barely favoured by bookmakers against the 16th-place team that’s 5-13 and in year one of a rebuild. They’re a real Barbenheimer.

Next game: Hawthorn at Marvel Stadium, Sunday early

Max Laughton from Fox Sports

Last week’s ranking:

We have no faith in the Saints, it’s as simple as that. They limped over the line against North Melbourne, keeping their season alive, but at this point everyone knows their ladder position of 6th is fraudulent. That’s not to say the wins don’t count, but when you’re beating the bottom two - who’ve won three games combined this year - by a combined 16 points, they don’t count for much. If the season ended right now the Saints would be hosting a final... and they head into the weekend barely favoured by bookmakers against the 16th-place team that’s 5-13 and in year one of a rebuild. They’re a real Barbenheimer.

Echoed the thoughts of many Saints supporters on here tbh. We can earn the respect back if we win a couple of the next four.

Last week’s ranking:

Fair enough. We've had a horror stretch saved only by beating teams 18, 17 and 16. Have to be playing at our very best to beat teams 15 and above and virtually no hope vs top 4. That is probably not a fifth spot on the ladder rating.

Last week’s ranking:

Funny how they also thought Richmond beating Hawthorn last week was impressive :rolleyes:

They can keep going on about how we don't deserve to be where we are on the ladder but that ignores that we've beaten 7 of the 10 teams also fighting for a spot in the 8. That is why we are sitting 5th instead of those other teams. We've had our form difficulties but so has everyone else around us.

Last week’s ranking:

What should he have said , The saints are flying and should win the flag ?

Echoed the thoughts of many Saints supporters on here tbh. We can earn the respect back if we win a couple of the next four.

Not all Saints supporters, many of us had faith in RTB and the coaching team.

We have come a long way in 12 months.

Riewoldt was on the money with his comment about improvements in training standards.

Last week’s ranking:

His effort in his run home column yesterday (we're losing the last four BTW) was equally disgraceful. The next time he gives us credit will be the first time.

I tell ya watching the replay Billings had the most invisible 15-disposal game you'll ever see.

Obviously, he's had an interrupted year but I was really hoping for more when he came into the Ross system.

I really don't know why I keep falling for it with this bloke. For a guy who had so many early moments, 25 and 3 in his tenth game, 4.2 in that Western Bulldogs comeback and had 30 and 5 in his 50th game I just can't believe he hasn't turned into something more.
Aaron Fiora MK2 unfortunately

Lots of hype due to draft position but failing to deliver to expectation.

He’s going to need a change of club to see if that gets more out of him.

Unfortunate for us but a reality for him personally

Remove this Banner Ad

Back