Autopsy Round 22, 2022: St.Kilda v Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Max, SORT IT OUT.

If you have to, offer to give the club back $10,000 for every miss.

I bet you won’t miss shot after shot then.

You can kick a footy, it’s all above your shoulders.

Sort it the * out.
I'm sure Gold Coast would welcome him up there to join his brother... goalkeeping issues and all 🤷‍♂️

What a thoroughly wasted opportunity, and ultimately, year.

Hopefully next year we don’t get fisted with the draw, but we’re still miles off the big boys.

Time to stop the free agent chasing and hit the draft.
if you don't realise it by now, the AFL extracts a price for propping up the smaller Melbourne based clubs by ensuring they are the ones that travel the most. The big Vic clubs get far better treatment. And before you hammer me about the prop up comment, do a little research and see when your clubs profit last exceeded the difference between the base AFL distribution and the distribution your club received. BTW, your club is doing a great job financially but
this tells the tale of the last 10 years of AFL funding.

if you don't realise it by now, the AFL extracts a price for propping up the smaller Melbourne based clubs by ensuring they are the ones that travel the most. The big Vic clubs get far better treatment. And before you hammer me about the prop up comment, do a little research and see when your clubs profit last exceeded the difference between the base AFL distribution and the distribution your club received. BTW, your club is doing a great job financially but
are you seriously wondering whether we realise it?

It's a bit of chicken and egg
we need propping up because we're such a minnow
we're such a minnow because we're always on the arse end of poor home ground revenue deals, horrendous fixturing, poor prime time exposure resulting in low sponsorship revenue and poor reserved seat sales and zero blockbusters

and throw in an own goal with Seaford

We may have purchased them a Stadium.

It's a different era, even Plugger would struggle to kick 100 goals these days. If you bombed the ball to Plugger he'd beat his man and mark. Now someone would sit in the hole in front of him while someone else blocked his run and the wings would have peeled back to block up leading space.

The guys that score heavily now are hard to rate against the legends because the role is so different.

That's true. I reckon he'd go close to 100 if he played with Geelong, they know how to do it. And the opposition would only sit in the hole once, otherwise they'd need more than one medi sub :hearteyes:

Still, they should be kicking straight.

When things don't go King's way on-field he looks bereft and tentative. He looks happy and at peace during the off-season and growing a mo. Wouldn't surprise me if he goes the same way as Tom Boyd. Can't make a career from spraying kicks and being berated. Very sad.

For a while now I've been calling for him to be moved from the forward line. It doesn't have to be permanent. But to get involved, hands on the footy, start dominating matches in other ways, and importantly enjoying footy. I don't think the club has helped him here keeping him forward and watching him suffer, it's like we keep handing bottles to an alcoholic.

2022 Coleman Medal leaderboard​

PlayerClubGoals
Charlie CurnowCarlton62
Jeremy CameronGeelong59
Tom HawkinsGeelong55
Peter Wright*Essendon49
Aaron NaughtonWestern Bulldogs48
Tom Lynch*Richmond47
Max KingSt Kilda47
Charlie CameronBrisbane47
Taylor WalkerAdelaide46
Bayley FritschMelbourne46

Curnow 25yo 78 games
Cameron 29yo 207games
Hawkins 34yo 322 games
Wright 25yo 107 games
Naughton 22yo 94 games
Lynch 29yo 209 games
King 22yo 53 games
Cameron 28yo 168 games
Walker 32yo 234 games
Fritsch 25yo 101 games

He's doing alright I reckon

We kick to him just about every F50 entry. He should be doing more/better with all those opportunities. That doesn't mean that the coaches are helping him either. Bombing on his head is in the gameplan, it's been quoted. And they love letting players find form in the firsts 🙄

2022 Coleman Medal leaderboard​

PlayerClubGoals
Charlie CurnowCarlton62
Jeremy CameronGeelong59
Tom HawkinsGeelong55
Peter Wright*Essendon49
Aaron NaughtonWestern Bulldogs48
Tom Lynch*Richmond47
Max KingSt Kilda47
Charlie CameronBrisbane47
Taylor WalkerAdelaide46
Bayley FritschMelbourne46

Curnow 25yo 78 games
Cameron 29yo 207games
Hawkins 34yo 322 games
Wright 25yo 107 games
Naughton 22yo 94 games
Lynch 29yo 209 games
King 22yo 53 games
Cameron 28yo 168 games
Walker 32yo 234 games
Fritsch 25yo 101 games

Alright.
Could be doing better, even at his age. Why do we have to wait tI’ll he’s 25+ if we can fix it now through kicking skills and a game plan better suited to him?
That’s the point.

We kick to him just about every F50 entry. He should be doing more/better with all those opportunities. That doesn't mean that the coaches are helping him either. Bombing on his head is in the gameplan, it's been quoted. And they love letting players find form in the firsts 🙄
We were kicking to him in the Geelong game, but the guy on him easily outplayed him and judged the ball better. I think Max is looking for the next easy get goal and not concentrating enough on the contest.

I was replying to old mate saying he should be moved out of the forward line

It's called efficiency, old mate. Using most of the forward 50 entries on a forward who sprays too many. Awesome. The selection committee are frozen in fear of making moves. Don't want to upset the boys on big bucks.

Well, it worked against Carlton - and then we changed it back.

:thumbsupemoji:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally watched the game (I knew what to expect from in here, lost the stomach for going in blind 2 rounds ago). I thought Long was quite good. Wood played an absolute beauty. Windhanger is a stud.

I hope we shake up both the coaching and the leadership group over the off season. I also hope we do some skills under pressure remediation work.

Gee it’s tough to be a saints fan. At least we have some good footy to look forward to in September

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah, I finally just watched the whole match too. I had to work myself up for the oncoming disappointment.

I thought the players gave everything. We were hitting them so hard, finals like, makes one wonder where that's been most of the year. The game was on our terms until 4 minutes left when Raynor slotted from the boundary, we absolutely blew the set shots. Then it was over.

Can't really say a bad word about any of them. Everyone talking about King and mental demons... the guy just looked knackered, absolutely molested all night, but he's gotta get some bulk on to at least stand his ground. He can really only get the pill when he gets space to leap, we all know that. The Lions defenders just hung on to him every second and pushed him around like a rag doll. Enagage early, use the blockers. But yeah his technique is still rank, it might work occasionally, but the flaws only let him kick at 50%. He might as well kick left footed with his eyes shut.

I'm just amazed with the aggression, why have we decided to bring it in round 22? It's really got me pondering what I thought I knew. Maybe the players really didn't crack in as the season went on? Is that still on the coach to discipline? Ratts really needs to finally put a line in the sand over summer and stop making friends, don't accept mediocrity, enforce selection integrity, make them earn it, ship off the coasters. Add to that, they still need to find a way to leap frog the opposition, not just tread water mid-table. The "premiership business" as someone says.

Last edited:
I remember Matthew Lloyd, who used to coach or mentor Max as a junior, offering to work with him on his goal-kicking earlier this year. He said to ask the club if it was ok. Club said no. Look where that got us. Very St Kilda.

I remember Matthew Lloyd, who used to coach or mentor Max as a junior, offering to work with him on his goal-kicking earlier this year. He said to ask the club if it was ok. Club said no. Look where that got us. Very St Kilda.
The only time it would be an issue is if Max King asked the club to get Matthew Lloyd into help and the club refused.

But that wasn't what happened - it was unrequested offer from Matthew Lloyd that the club rightly rejected no doubt after discussing it with Max.

Perhaps Max said to the club - no he's a nice bloke but he's the one who taught me how to kick and look where thats got me.

Finally watched the game (I knew what to expect from in here, lost the stomach for going in blind 2 rounds ago). I thought Long was quite good. Wood played an absolute beauty. Windhanger is a stud.

I hope we shake up both the coaching and the leadership group over the off season. I also hope we do some skills under pressure remediation work.

Gee it’s tough to be a saints fan. At least we have some good footy to look forward to in September

I'm not used to being positive but I reckon you have nailed how to fix the side. We don't need a rebuild, we need to do some simple things to fix it.

A big help would be to simplify the game plan, as you said, training for in tight skills and run and spread. Teamwork over individual performance focus etc.

I think we have enough to be competitive and just need to design our game around what we have. We are back to what Richo did which is trying not to lose over trying to win. Collingwood where there last year and have switched everything.

Yeah, I finally just watched the whole match too. I had to work myself up for the oncoming disappointment.

I thought the players gave everything. We were hitting them so hard, finals like, makes one wonder where that's been most of the year. The game was on our terms until 4 minutes left when Raynor slotted from the boundary, we absolutely blew the set shots. Then it was over.

Can't really say a bad word about any of them. Everyone talking about King and mental demons... the guy just looked knackered, absolutely molested all night, but he's gotta get some bulk on to at least stand his ground. He can really only get the pill when he gets space to leap, we all know that. The Lions defenders just hung on to him every second and pushed him around like a rag doll. Enagage early, use the blockers. But yeah his technique is still rank, it might work occasionally, but the flaws only let him kick at 50%. He might as well kick left footed with his eyes shut.

I'm just amazed with the aggression, why have we decided to bring it in round 22? It's really got me pondering what I thought I knew. Maybe the players really didn't crack in as the season went on? Is that still on the coach to discipline? Ratts really needs to finally put a line in the sand over summer and stop making friends, don't accept mediocrity, enforce selection integrity, make them earn it, ship off the coasters. Add to that, they still need to find a way to leap frog the opposition, not just tread water mid-table. The "premiership business" as someone says.

Motivation looks very low. Players aren't buying what they're selling.

I'm not used to being positive but I reckon you have nailed how to fix the side. We don't need a rebuild, we need to do some simple things to fix it.

A big help would be to simplify the game plan, as you said, training for in tight skills and run and spread. Teamwork over individual performance focus etc.

I think we have enough to be competitive and just need to design our game around what we have. We are back to what Richo did which is trying not to lose over trying to win. Collingwood where there last year and have switched everything.

Nothing changes when nothing changes.

If they don't make major changes then we will be right back in the same boat next year ... as we are this year ... and as we were last year.

The old cut a couple of assistant coaches, get a high priced recruit ...then rinse and repeat won't cut it.

-

For everyone saying, “lost to Sydney and get the best pick we can”, we cannot finish lower than where we are now (10th) and we won’t finish higher unless Hawks knock off the Dogs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back