Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
A brief and concise preview this week (hope that’s OK Ticky009 ) – partly because I’m pushed for time and partly because there’s not a lot to talk about when it comes to the Gold Coast.

Key Details

Sydney Swans (10th) vs Gold Coast Suns (14th).

Date: Saturday August 12.

Time: 1.45pm AEST.

Venue: Sydney Cricket Ground.

Weather: long range forecast is sunny & mild. Perfect footy weather. Buy your tickets now.

Preamble

Imagine the following scenario.

Geelong name a team including Matt Rowell, Touk Miller, Noah Andersen, Ben King, Jack Lukosius and Charlie Ballard.

How do you think they’d go?

If you’re like me – you’d instantly think “wow, quality side, top 4, no question”.

But alas, transpose those same names onto the Gold Coast and once again, it’s a case of bottom 6 mediocrity, yet another sacked coach and the usual year of nobody really cares.

Which is not surprising. The history of sporting failure on the Gold Coast extends well beyond the Suns. A trip down memory lane includes the following professional and heavily bankrolled teams all confined to the (often nose-candy driven) scrap-heap of history:

Rugby League: Seagulls, Gladiators, Chargers.

Soccer: Gold Coast United.

Basketball: Cougars, Rollers, Blaze.

Rugby Union: Aces (never even heard of them until I googled “failed Gold Coast sporting teams”).

Why is it so? Why do sporting teams located on the Gold Coast perennially fail to compete?

I think its best summed up by Rugby League deep thinker Brent Todd in the following 1992 interview:

Three decades later, professionalism still hasn’t quite arrived on the Gold Coast.

But – the Suns remain loaded with talent (on paper) and this can safely be classified as a danger game.

Win and the lid comes off.

Lose and … well …. the autopsy thread will be Pulitzer prize winning stuff.

The Teams

Nick Daicos is out for 6 weeks.

Does anything else really matter?

Not really.

But for those who can overcome their grief (Punts , hope you’re OK mate), Touk Miller does return for the Suns, after his holiday for squirrel gripping Dayne Zorko.

As an aside, I couldn’t help but notice that Touk’s squirrel was the only thing that earned the Gold Coast a mention in last week’s press.

From a PR perspective, it was therefore a masterstroke. Because for one tiny, fleeting, surreal moment, the Victorian press actually cared about the Gold Coast. Merchandise sales spiked in the aftermath.

Of course, then Bontempelli got a few kicks, Nick Daicos didn’t - and everything in the press (and commentary boxes) returned to situation normal.

Just on squirrel gripping and its historical use (for PR related purposes), the great Adam Goodes employed a similar tactic, under instruction from the Swans’ marketing department back in 2012. History has since acknowledged this (and the resultant media storm) as the sole reason Sydney membership numbers exploded in 2012. Many a PhD has been completed by post-graduate commerce students on that very topic.

1691299541586.png

Please note, dear reader, that I do not endorse squirrel gripping on any sporting field. Having said that, I do, on occasion, wish my local café owner would administer a pointed squirrel grip to the hordes of lycra-clad Mamils that descend on the café at 9am every Sunday morning. There is simply no excuse for 50 year old men walking into a café with cut lunch on display. My view - squirrel gripping should be permitted, if administered by a qualified barista, as a means of repelling the growing plague of Mamils – because I honestly don’t know what other form of defense remains available to society.

But I digress.

In other teams news, Will Powell will miss, after suffering a nasty ankle injury. That’s actually a pretty significant out – Powell has been very, very good for the Suns this season. Of course, they’ll probably replace him with Alex Sexton, who’ll promptly kick 6.

On the Swans side of things – hard to see any changes, but until the dreaded injury update comes out mid-week, its impossible to know who has suffered a season-ending injury completely unbeknownst to all.

The Verdict

The Swans should win this one, given the form we’re in & what’s at stake.

But……..

Gold Coast have been a notorious bogey side in recent years. And it could be difficult for Horse to get the side up once again – the risk of a costly mental lapse must surely exist after the:

Battle of the Bridge

Silvertails vs Fibros

Big Brother vs Little Brother

Sydney Derby.

Nonetheless – Gold Coast are 14th for a reason and their finals hopes are now officially gone. Which in previous seasons has seen them collapse into late season awfulness of West Coastian proportions. Presumably because their mentality shifts into Brent Todd mode.

Swans to win and surge into the 8.

Exciting times. But a danger game.

Last edited:

A brief and concise preview this week (hope that’s OK Ticky009 ) – partly because I’m pushed for time and partly because there’s not a lot to talk about when it comes to the Gold Coast.

Key Details

Weather: long range forecast is sunny & mild. Perfect footy weather. Buy your tickets now.

Preamble

Geelong name a team including Matt Rowell, Touk Miller, Noah Andersen, Ben King, Jack Lukosius and Charlie Ballard.

If you’re like me – you’d instantly think “wow, quality side, top 4, no question”.

But alas, transpose those same names onto the Gold Coast and once again, it’s a case of bottom 6 mediocrity, yet another sacked coach and the usual year of nobody really cares.

Which is not surprising. The history of sporting failure on the Gold Coast extends well beyond the Suns. A trip down memory lane includes the following professional and heavily bankrolled teams all confined to the (often nose-candy driven) scrap-heap of history:

Rugby Union: Aces (never even heard of them until I googled “failed Gold Coast sporting teams”).

Why is it so? Why do sporting teams located on the Gold Coast perennially fail to compete?

I think its best summed up by Rugby League deep thinker Brent Todd in the following 1992 interview:

Two decades later, professionalism still hasn’t quite arrived on the Gold Coast.

But – the Suns remain loaded with talent (on paper) and this can safely be classified as a danger game.

The Teams

Not really.

But for those who can overcome their grief (Punts , hope you’re OK mate), Touk Miller does return for the Suns, after his holiday for squirrel gripping Dayne Zorko.

As an aside, I couldn’t help but notice that Touk’s squirrel was the only thing that earned the Gold Coast a mention in last week’s press.

From a PR perspective, it was therefore a masterstroke. Because for one tiny, fleeting, surreal moment, the Victorian press actually cared about the Gold Coast. Merchandise sales spiked in the aftermath.

Of course, then Bontempelli got a few kicks, Nick Daicos didn’t - and everything in the press (and commentary boxes) returned to situation normal.

Just on squirrel gripping and its historical use (for PR related purposes), the great Adam Goodes employed a similar tactic, under instruction from the Swans’ marketing department back in 2012. History has since acknowledged this (and the resultant media storm) as the sole reason Sydney membership numbers exploded in 2012. Many a PhD has been completed by post-graduate commerce students on that very topic.

View attachment 1766459

Please note, dear reader, that I do not endorse squirrel gripping on any sporting field. Having said that, I do, on occasion, wish my local café owner would administer a pointed squirrel grip to the hordes of lycra-clad Mamils that descend on the café at 9am every Sunday morning. There is simply no excuse for 50 year old men walking into a café with cut lunch on display. My view - squirrel gripping should be permitted, if administered by a qualified barista, as a means of repelling the growing plague of Mamils – because I honestly don’t know what other form of defense remains available to society.

But I digress.

In other teams news, Will Powell will miss, after suffering a nasty ankle injury. That’s actually a pretty significant out – Powell has been very, very good for the Suns this season. Of course, they’ll probably replace him with Alex Sexton, who’ll promptly kick 6.

On the Swans side of things – hard to see any changes, but until the dreaded injury update comes out mid-week, its impossible to know who has suffered a season-ending injury completely unbeknownst to all.

The Verdict

But……..

Gold Coast have been a notorious bogey side in recent years. And it could be difficult for Horse to get the side up once again – the risk of a costly mental lapse must surely exist after the:

Battle of the Bridge

Silvertails vs Fibros

Sydney Derby.

Nonetheless – Gold Coast are 14th for a reason and their finals hopes are now officially gone. Which in previous seasons has seen them collapse into late season awfulness of West Coastian proportions. Presumably because their mentality shifts into Brent Todd mode.

Brilliant preview mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Key Details

Preamble

Two decades later, professionalism still hasn’t quite arrived on the Gold Coast.

The Teams

Not really.

View attachment 1766459

But I digress.

The Verdict

But……..

Battle of the Bridge

Silvertails vs Fibros

Sydney Derby.

Stellar work.

You see Chipmunk this is why you should follow the Bloods.

So, injuries aside and assuming that Campbell remains suspended, Stephens in for Campbell seems the only likely change. Team functioned well across all lines.
Sub could be Warner or Roberts. Both in good form.
I’d venture that Roberts might be strongly considered.

He was the stand out at VFL level last week.

I suspect it’ll depend on whether his match-fitness is up to it.

I suspect Clarke will retain his place unless McInerney is fit. He kept Whitfield to reduced influence and if he can clamp Rory Atkins on Saturday (given Gold Coast will be without Wil Powell already), their rebound could be very hampered which feeds into our hands. Although Gold Coast are more of a stoppage side so maybe that isn't as meaningful for us to stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back