Review Round 23, 2018 - Brisbane Lions vs. West Coast

Who were your five best players against West Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Love Fagan so not an overarching criticism here, he handles his pressers with magnificent class and he is a great coach, just some Yin to the Yang.

I do not agree with the theme of his presser, it sounded a tad sales pitchy to me, like he wanted to go out with the notion of positive improvement at all costs, which is fine - but at some stage we are going to start craving some deeper feed back. I am sure it will come as he puts more expectation on the group.

He mentioned being right in it in the first 1/4 and not taking chances, they had 90% of ball in their forward half and we were lucky to not be 50 points down at half time with their misses in front of goal.

Our pressure was almost non exsistant, as it has been most of the last month and our field kicking was utterly deplorable, it was a sub-par display of AFL football. If the eagles had of needed percentage to secure a home final it would have been 80 points easily IMO. Our back-line was also a schmozzle, how have we not done some direct coaching or focus around all defenders not all flying for the ball and or leaving opponents to stay down and creep out the back for easy goals? How, when it has cost us about 15 goals in the last month (especially against North) do our senior defenders let it happen just as badly a month later? Our forward entries remain an area that is simply hard to watch, we just bomb it to the same pocket in hope every entry, it is depressing.

IMO the Eagles parked it after half time and when ever they need to respond the would bang on 2 goals like it was a training drill, we were unorganized and offered very little resistance defensively.

All of that is fine, last game of the year, fatigue etc.. but just didn't see it as a positive day over all, I strongly disagree with Fages on that one. At some stage we are going to have to move beyond the sugar coating at all costs, but I think we will see that happening over the next couple of years.

we have a bloody long way to go, next year could offer up absolutely anything, but im expecting an equally as tough year and a bit less luck with injury worries me greatly as we have very little depth.

Last edited:
Love Fagan so not an overarching criticism here, he handles his pressers with magnificent class and he is a great coach, just some Yin to the Yang.

I do not agree with the theme of his presser, it sounded a tad sales pitchy to me, like he wanted to go out with the notion of positive improvement improvement at all costs, which is fine - but at some stage we are going to start craving some deeper feed back. I am sure it will come as he puts more expectation on the group.

He mentioned being right in it in the first 1/4 and not taking chances, they had 90% of ball in their forward half and we were lucky to not be 50 points down art half time with their misses in front of goal.

Our pressure was almost non exsistant, as it has been most of the last month and our field kicking was utterly deplorable, it was a sub-par display of AFL football. If eagles needed percentage to secure a home final it would have been 80 points easily IMO. Our back-line was also a schmozzle, how have we not coached around all defenders not all flying for the ball and or leaving opponents to stay down and creep out the back for easy goals? How, when it has cost us about 15 goals in the last month (especially against North) do our senior forwards let it happen just as badly a month later? Our forward entried remain an area that is simply hard to watch, we just bomb it to the same pocket in hope every entry, it is depressing.

IMO the Eagles parked it after half time and when ever they need to respond the would bang on 2 goals like it was a training drill, we were unorganized and offered very little resistance defensively.

All of that is fine, last game of the year, fatigue etc.. but just didn't see it as a positive day over all, I strongly disagree with Fages on that one. At some stage we are going to have to move beyond the sugar coating at all costs, but I think we will see that happening over the next couple of years.

we have a bloody long way to go, next year could offer up absolutely anything, but im expecting an equally as tough year and a bit less luck with injury worries me greatly as we have very little depth.

We know Noble feeds him lines before the press conference. I don't think they're worth watching

DMrOYb2UQAAhxZ6.jpg

Hippy, Big O and McStay had plenty of almost moments. If those 3 took more of their chances it could have been a different result.
Another big improvement against a team that has towelled us up over the last few years.

I think we have matured beyond needing the 3 tall setup. I agree if straightened us, but don’t think it’s needed now.
McInerney was a liability today.
Gee Lester was good. That chase he put on showed some speed to. Still would like to see him have a few midfield runs.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lester’s chase was very good but also very disappointing. If he can run that fast why didnt he do it always? He may have saved his career with his efforts in the last 3 games. I hope so. I’ve called him out often but we need players in his age profile.

Lester’s chase was very good but also very disappointing. If he can run that fast why didnt he do it always? He may have saved his career with his efforts in the last 3 games. I hope so. I’ve called him out often but we need players in his age profile.

I think he overthinks it sometimes. Needs to be more instinctive sometimes.

Back