Review Round 3, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. West Coast

Who were your five best players against West Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Did anyone notice that the only goal Charlie kicked shouldn't have been his kick? On the replay Linc McCarthy should have been given the free as he was significantly more closer than Charlie was where the ball went out. Charlie basically ran straight past Linc & owned the kick. He kicked it so I guess it's not relevant but its just something that was blatantly obvious when I watched the replay.

Did anyone notice that the only goal Charlie kicked shouldn't have been his kick? On the replay Linc McCarthy should have been given the free as he was significantly more closer than Charlie was where the ball went out. Charlie basically ran straight past Linc & owned the kick. He kicked it so I guess it's not relevant but its just something that was blatantly obvious when I watched the replay.

Yeah I was surprised the ump let him get away with it.

Yeah, it was pretty obvious on the telecast. Not sure how Charlie got away with it.

Last night I asked if any recruiters have intel on hand size of players. At first he laughed and then answered back with a distinct :No! In saying that, is it your opinion that he has small hands or do you reference someone/something to find that out? Does small hands automatically categorize you as a poor mark? I've never heard of this before in my time in footy and now would like to understand it more. Please Pauline Hanson me.
It’s just something I look at, from a biometrics perspective.

I almost always notice how much of the ball a player holds. The size of a players hand on the ball.

Sam Walsh has large hands, and long arms, for his height. I did wonder if we would see a late growth spurt from Walsh, seeing as his younger brother is 200cm +.

I know hand sizes are measured as part of the NBA combine, and all their data is published and available to the public, unlike the AFL.

There’s a lot of research done in the States on sports biometrics.

So just something I brought across from watching and following the NBA combine and draft.

I almost always notice how much of the ball a player holds. The size of a players hand on the ball.

Sam Walsh has large hands, and long arms, for his height. I did wonder if we would see a late growth spurt from Walsh, seeing as his younger brother is 200cm +.

I know hand sizes are measured as part of the NBA combine, and all their data is published and available to the public, unlike the AFL.

So just something I brought across from watching and following the NBA combine and draft.
I watched a bit of the NFL draft this year too. And I thought it was quite unbelievable how many times the size of the hands were mentioned.

So where does theory that leave shorty armed Richy?
Fair question.

I’m just a numpty fan who reads a very small amount of sports and physiology related stuff and attempts to apply it to the AFL.

So I don’t have an educated answer for this (or many) questions.

I don’t believe Rich’s short arms impact greatly on his current role, which is mostly as a receiver and distributor from others who do the “hard” work. Neale and Lyons on the inside, Andrews and Gardiner as the tall intercept defenders down back.

One discussion and answer that I recall from a different discussion a while ago, but I apply to similar discussions on the draft board, came from dlanod.

Went something like this.

Our sport is a national sport, only played by half the nation, and by and large the players aren’t world class athletes that we might see in international sports.

I sometimes wonder if we’re starting to seeing specific types of players for different roles and/or positions.

And every now and then we get a freak or different type of player at a position, that all clubs then start looking for “next” such similar player.

Maybe it's time we left him alone . Just let him play an

Interesting point Britzoon.

Back in the 60's Kevin Murray whom many here know well played CHB and he was 5' 10" on his good days playing on guys who were 6' 3" or 4 and no one could work out how he kept outmarking them when marking was a big factor in forward entries. It turns out he had the longest arms imaginable so it was nearly impossible to outmark him when he got in front .Likewise in congestion he always seemed to get his hands on the ball and get it out.

The guy was a freak player but in hindsight he had a big biometric advantage especially the way the game was played then.

Fair question.

I’m just a numpty fan who reads a very small amount of sports and physiology related stuff and attempts to apply it to the AFL.

So I don’t have an educated answer for this (or many) questions.

I don’t believe Rich’s short arms impact greatly on his current role, which is mostly as a receiver and distributor from others who do the “hard” work. Neale and Lyons on the inside, Andrews and Gardiner as the tall intercept defenders down back.

One discussion and answer that I recall from a different discussion a while ago, but I apply to similar discussions on the draft board, came from dlanod.

Went something like this.

Our sport is a national sport, only played by half the nation, and by and large the players aren’t world class athletes that we might see in international sports.

I sometimes wonder if we’re starting to seeing specific types of players for different roles and/or positions.

And every now and then we get a freak or different type of player at a position, that all clubs then start looking for “next” such similar player.
For the many ways the game has changed and the science and tactics that now seem to dominate the way it's played it's still a random ball and the first thing any player needs to do is get it ,and if not stop his opponent from getting it. Once that's done you have to worry about what he does with it.

I think wherever we end up with drafting certain types or whatever strategies are developed to benefit the end result for the team you're always looking for players who can get hold of the ball in a contest first and foremost . I don't reckon that'll change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the many ways the game has changed and the science and tactics that now seem to dominate the way it's played it's still a random ball and the first thing any player needs to do is get it ,and if not stop his opponent from getting it. Once that's done you have to worry about what he does with it.

I think wherever we end up with drafting certain types or whatever strategies are developed to benefit the end result for the team you're always looking for players who can get hold of the ball in a contest first and foremost . I don't reckon that'll change.

Or, as Leigh M eloquently puts it, just get a kick.

Ian Stewart [3 Brownlows- look it up] was 5ft 9 or 10, could only kick left foot. Wasn't particularly fast. Got the pill- a lot. Ditto Greg Williams. Great player. Neither would probably get picked up in these biometrics, beep test days.

Really, if you look at it from the purely body shape etc viewpoint, to my mind probably the best player in the AFL today, Lachie Neale, is far from ideal. Too short, too slow, can't mark, adequate kick only. Gets the ball- a lot. IN addition, it might be just me but there seems to be a few
seeking to emulate Neale's dynamite handball.

Back