Prediction Round 3, 2023: Changes vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't see how premierships comes into consideration for best player status. It is a team sport. We're not talking golf or tennis here. There's a coach and a lot of other players involved who contribute to ultimate team success (or not).

Was Nathan Buckley a spud because he never won a flag?

Dusty isn't good because he has 3 premierships. Dusty is good because he won a Norm in all of them.

They did a pre-season though.

Normally you would be right but there is the arguement that them replacing players who are just not up to it is still for the best despite Culley and Yeo not being at their best either.

And they picked up injuries the week before round 1.

And then Culley copped a slight shoulder niggle last weekend.

So why rush them in?

Get at least another game under their belts with no issues post game and they are available for selection.

This club has a pretty poor record bringing back players before they are ready. We aren't winning a flag this season so play people who are fit and if they miss games through injury they comeback via the WAFL first.

Don't see how premierships comes into consideration for best player status. It is a team sport. We're not talking golf or tennis here. There's a coach and a lot of other players involved who contribute to ultimate team success (or not).

Was Nathan Buckley a spud because he never won a flag?

Dusty isn't good because he has 3 premierships. Dusty is good because he won a Norm in all of them.
No it doesn’t mean Buckley was a spud however I reckon being part of a premiership team is a big tick on someone’s resume. Certainly being a premiership player lifts one’s status in the game.
I used Fyfe too in the example and I reckon he would be held in even higher regard if he had slotted a couple of those goals and won a flag.

No it doesn’t mean Buckley was a spud however I reckon being part of a premiership team is a big tick on someone’s resume. Certainly being a premiership player lifts one’s status in the game.
I used Fyfe too in the example and I reckon he would be held in even higher regard if he had slotted a couple of those goals and won a flag.
Nice to have for sure, but I agree with Dan, has no bearing on rating players IMO. The exception being players like Dusty who step up big time in GFs. Shuey for example, is one whose carrer I recon will be rated higher due to his amazing GF.

I rate Plugger Lockett and Gary Ablett as better full forwards than Dunstall and neither have a flag- doubt Im alone.

NN huge for WC, but there are plenty of players that have dominated a game as completely if not better.

Dunstalls 14 goal effort and his lazy 17 goal haul were complete.

Lockett had games where it was like an adult playing little league.

Kouta changed the game (and absolutely toweled us a couple of time).

Paddy Cripps game in the final last year, surpassed anything NN has ever done.

Carey (would trade prime NN in a heartbeat for prime Carey).

NN's career (cruelled by injury?) whilst awesome does not surpass Coxies (nice number on the wobbles with a lazy 30 disposals, 7 marks, 36 hitouts and 2 goals.

Coxy genuinely came from no where, whilst many thought NN would go at No.1.

Prime Nic was a monster who's influence on a game as a ruckman is not out of place among these names.

A 120kg 7 foot clearance machine who dominates stoppages to the point of parody. People forget how average our midfield has been since 2006 sometimes.

Deserves enormous kudo's for his successful return off two reco's and desperately lucky to have missed 2018

Nice to have for sure, but I agree with Dan, has no bearing on rating players IMO. The exception being players like Dusty who step up big time in GFs. Shuey for example, is one whose carrer I recon will be rated higher due to his amazing GF.

I rate Plugger Lockett and Gary Ablett as better full forwards than Dunstall and neither have a flag- doubt Im alone.
Guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one 👍🏻

I would drop Chesser for Edwards - an extra tall down back would not go astray against Tabenar, Amiss, Jackson and Darcy. Current line up would be stretched and likely leaves Hurn playing third tall (possibly opposed to a ruckman) or gulp Bailey Williams filling a hole in defense.

Factor in Barrass’s poor start to year and it’s a no-brainer.

I would drop Chesser for Edwards - an extra tall down back would not go astray against Tabenar, Amiss, Jackson and Darcy. Current line up would be stretched and likely leaves Hurn playing third tall (possibly opposed to a ruckman) or gulp Bailey Williams filling a hole in defense.
There's like one legitimate key forward between the players you mentioned.

Would prefer more run personally.

I'd probably go another small in the backline to crumb all the dropped marks from Freos talls.

Jokes aside, the inclusion of HEdwards seems to show the MC is definitely concerned about the ruck battle and its encouraging to see they have an alternative plan than throwing Oscar into the ruck.

His lockdown capacity gives us flexibility in the backline too.
Like it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good ins for Freo tbh

Have NFI why they go back on forth with Walker. They look so much better when he's in.

The melts if Johnson turns it on 💦

No idea why they go back and forth on Walker?

Over to Freo Collingwood final thread..... (these are just 3 consecutive posts, his performance took up 1/2 the thread - so lucky he is not in therapy)

1680169568479.png

A back line with all of Gov, Barass, H Edwards and Hurn would be frightening to watch whenever the ball hits the deck. Can't see it doing too much for the run we've been getting off half back either with one less mobile option.

We nearly always have one Key Position Player in our emergencies and would be very surprised if Edwards makes the cut.

No idea why they go back and forth on Walker?

Over to Freo Collingwood final thread..... (these are just 3 consecutive posts, his performance took up 1/2 the thread - so lucky he is not in therapy)

View attachment 1644576

He had a bad final and he will make mistakes, but he's dashing, young and gives them run.

Without, their backline is very stodgy imo.

NN huge for WC, but there are plenty of players that have dominated a game as completely if not better.

Dunstalls 14 goal effort and his lazy 17 goal haul were complete.

Lockett had games where it was like an adult playing little league.

Kouta changed the game (and absolutely toweled us a couple of time).

Paddy Cripps game in the final last year, surpassed anything NN has ever done.

Carey (would trade prime NN in a heartbeat for prime Carey).

NN's career (cruelled by injury?) whilst awesome does not surpass Coxies (nice number on the wobbles with a lazy 30 disposals, 7 marks, 36 hitouts and 2 goals.

Coxy genuinely came from no where, whilst many thought NN would go at No.1.
I'm a huge Cox fan and really hated how posters on here turned against him in later years. And I wish NN had been able to play more games up to now. Of your list, I would put Kouta next - that is for absolute impact driving the team forward in a game.

Robert Flower was a fantastic player, and an icon of his time. I don't think he ever even played in a final, let alone a flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back