Review Round 3, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

On a positive note, Rayner was awesome today. Really Impacted the game. Imagine if he got more time in the middle šŸ˜Ž
Not sure if serious, or not.

Has a bad case of the fumbles. Thought he and Bailey were atrocious going for contested groundballs. In space Rayner was good. Bailey was not.

I would love to get Morris in but think two talls and Lohmann is the best option.

Want to see more of Torrent.

I would bring Brain in but Zorko looked good off half back and McKenna will be back soon.

Not really sure what bold moves we can really make that would actually improve us outside of the above.
I think you need to start dropping guys who continue to play poorly. All of Hipwood, Daniher, Cameron, Berry, Bailey, Fletcher, Payne, Lohman, Dev, and Oscar have been pretty poor this year. Dunkley hasnt been at his best either. Just recycling the guys between 20 and 26 on the list isn't really going to get a response.

I think Fagan needs to sacrifice a regular best 22 player or two next week. Maybe it's Hipwood and Bailey? Maybe Oscar and Berry?

You have to do something.

Has a bad case of the fumbles. Thought he and Bailey were atrocious going for contested groundballs. In space Rayner was good. Bailey was not.
21 touches, 2 goals, 4 tackles for Rayner. Thatā€™s a good game especially for a low possession player like him.

Like Rayner more coming into the clearance from outside. Like when he comes off the forward line at centre clearances and have a good run at the contest

How much system can we show with the bulk of the side so badly out of form?

How often did we look good until Hippy dropped a mark or Bailey fumbles or Dev missed a handball?

On top of inconsistent intensity at the contest, poor tackling and goal kicking

Almost everything that canā€™t be controlled by strategy has been subpar
I thought that's what I said.

We're stale.

It wasn't the perfect game but equally 2 goals, 21 touches (8 contested) at 71% DE and 9 score involvements is a very strong game for a half forward.

Was easily in our top 5 on the field.

I think you need to start dropping guys who continue to play poorly. All of Hipwood, Daniher, Cameron, Berry, Bailey, Fletcher, Payne, Lohman, Dev, and Oscar have been pretty poor this year. Dunkley hasnt been at his best either. Just recycling the guys between 20 and 26 on the list isn't really going to get a response.

I think Fagan needs to sacrifice a regular best 22 player or two next week. Maybe it's Hipwood and Bailey? Maybe Oscar and Berry?

You have to do something.

Got to get the balance right though. Can't just drop a large chunk of the team because the team as a whole isn't performing.

Nothing I've seen has convinced me that Bailey is a midfielder.

Wont tackle, cant break a tackle, was caught out gazing at the ball at his feet at a critical time of the match and seems to second guess himself when breaking from the contest.

A potentially great small forward though.

On a positive note, Rayner was awesome today. Really Impacted the game. Imagine if he got more time in the middle

Except we were clearly on top going into half time and the first 2 mins in the second half. He won a clearance handballed and stopped dead. Handball didn't hit it's target, bounced loose and the player Rayner should have been on picked it up ran forward and hit a player lace out. Momentum changed all because Rayner stopped dead and didn't run or pressure.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really have no idea. Even Bailey got more CBA than Cam.
I'm just wondering myself. He's bigger bodied than De Goey , just about on a par with Danger.

I can only think they don't believe he'll last a game out if they do it.

It's not as if he was getting a sniff in the third quarter when we really needed someone in there to build on our momentum in the second.

I agree. One or two is enough.

Edit: And it can't just be fringe players.

I get where you're coming from, but a tall has to go for structure (IMO) and there's no way in hell I'm dropping Hipwood in favour of Fort.

We also need more pressure and tackling - Robertson is in the t am to provide this. He laid two tackles and nearly 50% of his disposals were turnovers. Only 9 pressure acts to boot.

For me, they were weak links above anyone else on the field.

Our transition/connection from midfield to forwardline is and has always been pretty terrible. So many blown chances covered up by the odd piece of brilliance.

Now that Daniher and Hipwoods hands have turned into concrete and Charlies seemingly lost his razor sharp nouse around goal - we are getting found out on it.

Then youā€™ve got and it must be said, mediocre, maybe just better than average types, in Mihocek and Elliott. Who find themselves in good spots consistently. The difference.
Untrue. Both very good players

Mate based on tonight North could very well win. They will get on top of us early and it all depends on if we can run all over their tired legs.
Already have my emtional hed
How much system can we show with the bulk of the side so badly out of form?

How often did we look good until Hippy dropped a mark or Bailey fumbles or Dev missed a handball?

On top of inconsistent intensity at the contest, poor tackling and goal kicking

Almost everything that canā€™t be controlled by strategy has been subpar
To me the manner in which we enter f50 has to be strategy - it just keeps happening

Yes could have been a slightly better return with hippy and joe better

But there were a lot of nearly marks from them that would have been good marks - and we were so rarely there to mop it up

you think he be dropped

I always like Fort/Oscar combo
Although we loose Joe playing up the ground which I often say he plays better then forward 50
I think at the moment Forts follow up is more then Oscar offers.

So we drop Fort for sure.
Oscar, Hipwood, Bailey, Berry or Rayner dropped.. he he he never
Payne did not much so swap for Dizzy again.
Be Answerth, Dev, Fort or Lohmann dropped again with him
Can't believe how Oscar gets scragged every time and never gets a free....so bleeding obvious.

I'm just wondering myself. He's bigger bodied than De Goey , just about on a par with Danger.

I can only think they don't believe he'll last a game out if they do it.

It's not as if he was getting a sniff in the third quarter when we really needed someone in there to build on our momentum in the second.

Rayner attended 2 of 7 centre bounces in the third and barely got any time on the ball.

He doesn't have to play as a full time mid, but IMO we absolutely need to utilise him at centre bounces more. He has the assets we are sorely lacking there.

Except we were clearly on top going into half time and the first 2 mins in the second half. He won a clearance handballed and stopped dead. Handball didn't hit it's target, bounced loose and the player Rayner should have been on picked it up ran forward and hit a player lace out. Momentum changed all because Rayner stopped dead and didn't run or pressure.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

One mistake among many very good plays is okay though. Only turned it over two more times than Neale - who was by far the cleanest player on the field for us.

You said we had no system. I said itā€™s hard to execute anything when in any 1 piece of the play weā€™re likely to get the ball into the hands of someone way out of form
That's true. But you'd hardly call our system flash . If you could discern what it is.

Obviously it looks poor on the occasions you can't execute and/or finish.

Already have my emtional hed

To me the manner in which we enter f50 has to be strategy - it just keeps happening

Yes could have been a slightly better return with hippy and joe better

But there were a lot of nearly marks from them that would have been good marks - and we were so rarely there to mop it up
Exactly. No one at the front of the pack. It happened countless times. They mopped up.

Back