Review Round 3, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We will have players fall off the cliff in the next year or two and it’s obvious who they are and no one is developing their replacements.

This year now needs to be a mini rebuild
We don’t even need to wait a year or two; it’s already happened to a bunch of players. Frightening how quickly it’s happened.

I agree with a lot of your post but there is no way Errol is leaving his home state to join our club that will unlikely be anywhere near the top eight for the next decade.
LETS SEE IF DOLLARS ARE ENOUGH TO ENTICE HIM. I SAY THROW THE KITCHEN SINK AT HIM AND SEE IF HE BITES. He may be motivated by money. We desperately need a young superstar player.He fits the bill. HE could be a Marquee player for the lions. Just ask Buddy why he moved to the Swans from the hawks.
1711630985253.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve calmed down somewhat now. I’ll be honest overall I thought we looked much better tonight than the last two games, we tended to actually stick to the gameplan this time instead of getting scared and reverting to bombing it long down the line which I liked.

Unfortunately we still lost, to me the reasons were threefold: 1. Poor skills all night, 2. Awful one-sided umpiring, and 3. Some truly shocking performances from a couple individuals.

I’ve always been a defender of Hipwood, and save for the grand final I thought he played quite well most of last year. The first three games this year he has been shocking though. I think it’s a perfect time to give him a rest and give Logan Morris a go. I’d also drop Oscar for Fort for a few weeks, Fort was really working himself into the game there.

Don’t think Berry was as bad tonight (though I’d still rather we try someone else in his position), and I thought Rayner played a better game as well. Too tired to post anymore thoughts, I’m sure it’s all been said anyway.

Ah well, 20 wins is still enough to make minor premiers 🤡

Zac Bailey was worse than Hipwood somehow.

Zac continually over estimates his own ability. Instead of giving off the easy hand pass he tries to take on half the team and gets pinned holding the ball.
He also needs to spend a week at the Broncos and learn how to tackle, he gets brushed a side way to easily.

Fages needs to put some heat on the umps IMO. I know he won’t, I know we played s**t for 3 quarters but we need to make sure it doesn’t happen again because that kind of umpiring can destroy all of your momentum. They can be two goal swings easily.

I hate to blame a loss on the umpires, but f*ck me that was terrible all night. Felt like we had to beg to even get anything, and when we did it was a few cheapies - yet anytime a Brisbane player touched the ball and a pies player touched him it was immediately HTB.

Knew it was gonna be one of those nights when Hill got away with the most blatant push in the back I’ve ever seen in the goal square, and was rewarded with a goal.

My other favourite moment was maybe in the 2nd quarter(?) where a pies player blatantly threw the ball out of a tackle, and the umpire sat there and thought about it for so long that by the time he blew his whistle the play had already moved down field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate to blame a loss on the umpires, but f*ck me that was terrible all night. Felt like we had to beg to even get anything, and when we did it was a few cheapies - yet anytime a Brisbane player touched the ball and a pies player touched him it was immediately HTB.

Knew it was gonna be one of those nights when Hill got away with the most blatant push in the back I’ve ever seen in the goal square, and was rewarded with a goal.

My other favourite moment was maybe in the 2nd quarter(?) where a pies player blatantly threw the ball out of a tackle, and the umpire sat there and thought about it for so long that by the time he blew his whistle the play had already moved down field.
3 times a Brisbane player was dumped after the kick and three times the free kick came back to that spot instead of downfield. And holding the ball decisions are just a complete lottery.

I know you get howled down if you say we lost it in the coaching box. Obviously tonight we lost it for all the reasons on the ground that have been raised but the coaching box seems slow to react at times.

I don't think we lost it in the coaching box, but think there were opportunities to make changes which we didn't that proved to be the wrong call with hindsight.

would like to see a game where our forwards are continually not competing against each other in the air. Have a look at Hipwood in the first minute or so of the game, he was having a go at someone for competing in the pack. Cant believe how many marks we dropped inside 50 in first half though. Everyone is getting frustrated. It seems like everyone thinks they have to do it off their own back so everyone competes for the big mark.

That kinda sucked.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Logan Morris as the third tall. I don’t think you can drop Hipwood unless he has a repeat of that, so Fort out with Daniher backing up the ruck.

Agree with others that Bailey should probably stay forward, with Cam getting more midfield time. If tank is the limiting factor and not sharing with Bailey then Robertson should get some more CBAs.

Wouldn’t mind seeing a Sharp/Fletcher/Ah Chee wing rotation and have Berry find some form by foot in the reserves.

I don’t love Zorko at halfback but with all our other options injured he did decently. My main workable criticism is that he sometimes made decisions when the ball was in dispute like he was a midfielder/half forward who thought his defence would cover a turnover. It mainly was those hack kick attempts off the ground, which work out decently when we have players behind but just are not worth it if you stuff up and give up an easy score off turnover.

I think we should encourage Wilmot to try and make some plays by foot since he’s the only healthy halfback from our trio last year.

I think the effort was there, the skills were just absolutely diabolical. At the ground there seemed to be one or two more handballs than necessary. I honestly think it’s because we just lacked our usual halfback options who usually made the kick even if it was a hack forward.

3 times a Brisbane player was dumped after the kick and three times the free kick came back to that spot instead of downfield. And holding the ball decisions are just a complete lottery.
I'd love an explanation of that because I've seen a lot of people comment on it, why weren't they downfield? All 3 happened after the kick.

I don't really blame the umpires. The AFL itself has completely cooked the rules and how the game is adjudicated. Until they fix holding the ball, the game will be an unpredictable, almost impossible game to adjudicate with any certainty.

The players don't care. They don't give a rat's backside. They don't wanna chase, they don't wanna play. You have Chris Fagan before the game saying that "no one in the club listens to outside noise." Maybe you should, maybe you should. Maybe the coaching panel, the players, the board must listen to us members. We've got 40 thousand members. You want us to sign up next year? Bloody show us something! Show us the heart! Last year we gave you the excuse "we nearly won the flag but lost by a kick." We thought this year we'd go again. What's the excuse!? If you're not gonna play- I said it a few weeks ago- If you're not gonna play for the coach, play for people like myself! Who bust my balls every week to get there, hard earned money, and you dish that up against the 0-3 pies, at home!? They toyed with us. It's an embarrassment for the Blue, Maroon and Gold and especially the emblem. THE EMBLEM! Play for that! If you're not gonna play for that, piss off outta my club! GET OUT!

Hipwood needs to go back into defense or 4 weeks of vfl

So many forwardlunes are build around smalls. We have cc

A week in the 2's is probably needed, he fumbled a couple each qtr iirc, including one that resulted in quick goal down the other end. I've been a defender of his in the past & applauded his improvement in set shots but he was just a liability tonight.

I promise you Bailey is not the answer to the midfield.

At the game you can see how they run through him every time he's in the centre. He got torn apart not matter which side of the square he was on and Crisp made him look ridiculous in the 4th.

Our midfield lapses directly correlate to our second tier players in the square and have done for some time.

It's left feild but again I would run Prior through there... We need size and strength that much is so obvious at the ground.

It's time for serious change.

Back