Autopsy Round 4, 2024 : Hawks get Pied

Remove this Banner Ad

That was Collingwood's 100th win against Hawthorn. Their 100th win against North (who joined the league with us in 1925) was in 2009 and their 100th win against bulldogs was in 2010 who also joined the league with us in 1925)

Meek clearly our number 1 ruckman. Was good last week and fantastic today. Much prefer his style then Reeves.
I haven’t been as vocal as Simon Crawshay about this, but I can see the clear advantages to Lloyd playing over Ned - being his ability to get / stay involved after the tap.

Would be great for Ned to work on his general game involvement at BH whilst Lloyd hopefully gets a decent AFL run as our starting ruck for a few more weeks.

The ideal result is both improve and can give us enough up forward to play both in the same 23.

Otherwise it’s Chol giving a chop out to Lloyd (or Ned if he gets his act into gear).

Most of the flag winning sides have two genuine ruck options. Richmond were the exception - but they happily lost the ruck because their half back line was awesome.

Those missed kicks will take a few to the next level, newk, scrimshaw, cmac all will be working on it across the whole year

Nash had 9 tackles. He did an enormous amount of defensive work.

He needs a bit more composure on the ball that's for sure but until someone steps up defensively in the middle he isn't getting dropped.

We're leaking too many goals from the centre as it is.

18 possessions 9 turnovers
bd2108cead5ee3e39965624994a8799e.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven’t been as vocal as Simon Crawshay about this, but I can see the clear advantages to Lloyd playing over Ned - being his ability to get / stay involved after the tap.

Would be great for Ned to work on his general game involvement at BH whilst Lloyd hopefully gets a decent AFL run as our starting ruck for a few more weeks.

The ideal result is both improve and can give us enough up forward to play both in the same 23.

Otherwise it’s Chol giving a chop out to Lloyd (or Ned if he gets his act into gear).

Most of the flag winning sides have two genuine ruck options. Richmond were the exception - but they happily lost the ruck because their half back line was awesome.
Unfortunately, I believe Reeves is finished. Hit Outs don't often lead to a clean break at the Bounce and it's all he has got.

So 66% of his touches were clangers - has heart but doesn't have the smarts and skills.

Nash's importance to the team is his hard work ethic and ability to win or halve a possession in close. These are very valuable traits for the team right now.

Was really pleased to see Ward show seem elite disposal tonight - especially when going forward

I thought Chol battled out the game but was totally outclassed by Frampton. Still a massive upgrade on Kozi. Good to see NewCombe back and Dylan Moore seemingly over his glandular fever

Hardwick stays up forward period. Meeks follow up work was outstanding- reminded me of Robbie Campbell in his prime. Connor Mac - I’m disappointed in his year so far. Needs to cut out that stupid thing in his hair and focus more on his defensive play

That was Collingwood's 100th win against Hawthorn. Their 100th win against North (who joined the league with us in 1925) was in 2009 and their 100th win against bulldogs was in 2010 who also joined the league with us in 1925)
Hawthorn only won 3 of our first 60 games against Collingwood. Took 35 years for Hawthorn to beat Collingwood at Victoria park.

So 66% of his touches were clangers - has heart but doesn't have the smarts and skills.
No that's not how clangers work. Frees against (4) also count as clangers as to other fluffs like simple dropped marks. (like Weddle in the centre that cost a goal)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have to respect the way our young team came back from 38 points down at half time to almost win the game. That was a massive fight back and exemplifies the character of our guys. It should fill them with the self belief that with a bit more experience ( and a couple of KPPs) they will be able to match it with the best.
Moving Hardwick forward in the third quarter was the turning point. It resuscitated a comatose forward line and started a bit of panic in the Pies defence.
Premiership teams never give up. Grinding out a win from a near hopeless position at half time would have been ideal but having the guts to almost do so was a massive achievement.
I really like what a number of these young guys are doing and I expect the next couple of years will be exciting for Hawthorn fans.

Hawthorn only won 3 of our first 60 games against Collingwood. Took 35 years for Hawthorn to beat Collingwood at Victoria park.
Yep, I missed the 1961 win by a small margin. But got to see other wins at Vic Park later.

Effort , it's all most of us wanted to see . I'm not fussed on wins and losses this season but I want to see the boys have a real go like they showed they were capable of last season. When we do we show how competitive we can be. We still lack the class and a genuine match winner outside of newcombe when he is on.

I don't really see Ramma as a ruck. He looks like a pure forward to me and a pretty good one at that.

I'd rather we go in with Meek + Chol as our ruck duo next game.
I’d like to see Rama play as our third tall, maybe a few small stints in the ruck to get used to it at this level as a learning. His Height and Endurance as a third tall will definitely be an asset.

18 possessions 9 turnovers
bd2108cead5ee3e39965624994a8799e.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeh he was poor with ball in hand today but until we find someone who can actually step into his defensive role he won't be getting dropped.

Especially as our defensive intent is probably our biggest area of concern.

I’d like to see Rama play as our third tall, maybe a few small stints in the ruck to get used to it at this level as a learning. His Height and Endurance as a third tall will definitely be an asset.

Would like that. Think he could be a great option as a tall HFF pushing up to the wing like Mason Wood.

Unfortunately, I believe Reeves is finished. Hit Outs don't often lead to a clean break at the Bounce and it's all he has got.
Well we have signed him to 2026!

He has time to work out the best way to change his approach given the (minor) ruck change.

Plenty of time and opportunity to get better, which is what we all hope he is able to do.

Lloyd played well last week and even better today, but that doesn’t mean Ned’s next 50 weeks of football are all for nought.

Nash's importance to the team is his hard work ethic and ability to win or halve a possession in close. These are very valuable traits for the team right now.
He was poor in the first half today. Very poor. I was watching who was on JDG or Daicos at stoppages and it was Nash. He just couldn't read the play and they waltzed out of the stoppage over and over.

Then when he did get the first touch it would be a handball to a team disadvantage or straight to a pies player. He will fill a need for now but hopefully is replaced in a year or two.

Lucky for him he will get the opportunity in a bottom 4 side to show improvement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back