Preview Round 4 -Brisbane Lions v Collingwood Magpies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1680425810562.png

Round 4 Preview
– Thursday 06 April 7.35pm(AEST) Gabba

Brisbane Lions v Collingwood Magpies

Hopefully the Gabba have got their lighting issues under control for this one otherwise it will be a blood bath at the Gabba.

Should be pretty much a sell out for this one for what will more than likely be the biggest home crowd of the year.
Coming up against arguably the most inform team of the year so far with 3 wins and a percentage of 149.5 and sitting second on the ladder they will be coming into this one with their confidence sky high.
The Lions on the other hand will be rocked by a performance last week against a spirited Bulldogs, where the Lions could barely hit a target in general play and kicking for goal was even worse if that is even possible. Forwards unable to make a contest and a misfiring midfield particularly at centre bounce.

Injury listsLions will likely have a pretty full compliment of players to choose from bar Darcy Gardiner who may still need another week or 2 on the side lines to recover from an ankle/Achilles issue. Will be a bit of a watch to see if Daniel Rich will be available after a quad issue last week.

For Collingwood - They will likely be without both of their Ruckman in Darcy Cameron and Mason Cox so Dan McStay and maybe Billy Frampton may be thrown in there to compete with Oscar??

Last time we met – after a shaky start the lions come away with a 7 point victory in that game at the Gabba

Highlights of that game -

We have had a pretty good run of late against Collingwood with wins in 4 of the last five since 2019.

2022R5Brisbane Lions3.29.412.515.8(98)dftdCollingwood5.27.39.514.7(91)GabbaApr 14 (Thu 7:35pm)
2021R22Brisbane Lions4.211.418.622.10(142)dftdCollingwood3.25.36.78.9(57)GabbaAug 14 (Sat 7:25pm)
2021R3Collingwood4.27.39.511.6(72)lost toBrisbane Lions2.16.18.311.7(73)Marvel StadiumApr 1 (Thu 7:40pm)
2020R15Brisbane Lions0.25.36.56.6(42)dftdCollingwood1.12.33.35.4(34)GabbaSep 4 (Fri 7:50pm)
2019R5Brisbane Lions3.25.67.98.13(61)lost toCollingwood7.58.916.1218.15(123)GabbaApr 18 (Thu 7:35pm)

Early Season Form- Collingwood -

Well they have started the year on fire really, they tend to play a pretty fast and chaotic brand of footy which is all well and good when it is up and going but I also think it can lead to their downfall with a good defensive structure. They bite off some extremely dangerous kicks into the middle of the ground, often putting their players under a heap of pressure to make it work and at the moment, more often than not it is working and they get away with it - just.
But the Gabba is a bit smaller than the MCG where they have played all 3 of their games so far this year so those kicks will be even more dangerous up here under lights at the Gabba in slightly greasy conditions.
There is no doubting they are confident team who is playing on instinct and having fun doing it, so Brisbane will have their work cut out for them to stop the Pies current run.
I think they have come into the season primed for a good start to the year Under Macrae, with a win in their first game against the Premiers last year (Geelong) I think some redemption for the qualifying loss to them in last years finals series front of mind and driving them through the preseason and after the win in Round 1 are riding a wave of confidence and I feel they have a sense of invincibility about them at the moment which is waiting to be smashed back down to Earth with a thud. Watching a couple of their games they seem to be very chirpy and hoping we can wipe the smiles off their faces.

Early Season Form The Lions have had only the 1 win against Melbourne in round 2 and a loss against the Power and the Bulldogs.
The 2 losses were both different in that the Port game was a complete blowout where the Lions effort wasn’t there right from the first bounce of the day and it was only free kicks keeping the Lions on the game to half time but after the half the Umpire tried the best to even up the free kick count but a completely indefensible effort across the board resulted in a terrible way to start the year in a 50odd point loss. Against the Bulldogs I personally felt as though the effort and intensity was there but the skill execution was the biggest let down of the night and The Bont was just too good for us in the middle of the ground in particular. His height was something that our boys struggled all night to stop.
The win against Melbourne was the only game at the Gabba and the only game where we got things right, the pressure was good, we won the ball in the centre and our Ruckman, forwards and backs were competitive all night and hit the contest hard unlike the other 2 games.
Forgetting the Port game and the last 12 minutes after the Power outage I think our defence has held up pretty well holding the doggies to 63 points and Melbourne to 51 point before the power outage.
The defence is going to have to hold up really well this week because this will likely be the biggest test yet with the way that Collingwood move the ball.

Head to head stats, for this year so far:

LionsAverageMagpies
Team Comparison
205.3​
Kicks​
222.3​
107.3​
Handballs​
152.3​
312.7​
Disposals​
374.7​
80.3​
Marks​
83.0​
10.7​
Goals​
16.0​
8.7​
Behinds​
11.6​
19.4​
Scoring Shots​
27.6​
49.0​
Tackles​
56.3​
42.7​
Hitouts​
38.0​
23.0​
Frees For​
26.0​
17.0​
Frees Against​
21.0​
5.7​
Goal Assists​
14.0​
49.0​
Inside 50s​
59.3​
133.3​
Contested Possessions​
150.3​
171.0​
Uncontested Possessions​
216.7​
217.3​
Effective Disposals​
269.0​
69.5%​
Disposal Efficiency %​
71.8%​
60.3​
Clangers​
61.3​
9.0​
Contested Marks​
11.3​
9.7​
Marks Inside 50​
13.3​
43.7​
Clearances​
40.0​
12.7​
Centre Clearances​
13.3​
31.0​
Stoppage Clearances​
26.7​
42.0​
Rebound 50s​
33.3​
52.3​
One Percenters​
53.3​
0.7​
Bounces​
5.3​
1.91​
Kick to Handball Ratio​
1.46​
55.2%​
Conversion​
58.0%​
29.22​
Disposals Per Goal​
23.42​
16.12​
Disposals Per Scoring Shot​
13.58​
55.2%​
Metres Gained​
58.0%​
74.0​
Turnovers​
61.3​
65.7​
Intercepts​
67.0​
9.3​
Tackles Inside 50​
10.0​

A quick look across the stats and they are pretty damning for us really, thanks largely to the Port game where we could barely get our hands on the ball. So they are a little misleading but a couple of things that really stand out is our inability to score this year is really a turnaround to previous years. And Collingwoods ability to score so freely.
And the contested possession differential is a really worrying sign for us in the 2 losing games so far this year. The Melbourne game was good.
It is pretty much our side really, if our midfield turns up we are a competitive top 4 quality team but when they are off we are a bottom 4 team. The difference between our best and worst is probably the worst in the comp so far this year.
We need to get back to a consistent brand of footy and a consistent frame of mind week to week because if we don’t this year could slip away very quickly.

Collingwood are a very good team and playing brilliant team footy for each other and for their Coach something that we seem to be lacking.
There has been a lot of change this year with some coaches swapping around and probably on average 5-6 changes to the regular 22 from last year and most of them coming in the backline. Which appears to be a reasonably good thing defensively but it is the offensive side of the game where things appear to be falling apart and the ability to live the ball from end to end. So things may take a bit of time to gel but as we sore in the Melbourne game when we get it right we are a bloody good team and worthy of Premiership contention.

Players to watch out for - Jamie Elliot and Brodie Mihocek are the 2 in the forward line that we will need to watch closely along with DeGoey when he is up there who kicked 4 goals the last time we met.
DeGoey, forever young Pendles and Jack Crisp who had 36 disposals in the Easter Thursday game last year playing in the midfield.
And then we have the Daicos boys who the AFL have an infatuation for at the moment get their hands on the ball A LOT and create a lot of damage with their disposals. Will be interesting to see if we pull a forward up to stoppage to curb Nick influence because they always seem to have an outnumber at stoppage but pulling him up to the ball. So if we keep our 6 forward of the ball and win the contest and get the ball forward we would have an outnumber. So it’s a bit of a balancing act and I think that to start with atleast we will run with our forward 6 and hope our mids can gain the ascendancy.
For the life of me, I really hope we do not let McStay off the chain or that will really piss me off.

Call me crazy – but I think we can win for 1 reason and 1 reason only.
Because it is at the Gabba. If this game was at the G I honestly don’t think we stand a chance. We are a completely different team when we play away than when we play at the Gabba.

I think it will be a fairly high scoring and exciting game like they usually are against these two teams at the Gabba hopefully with the Lions coming out on top.

Starting 22 for me:
B: Rayner, Payne, Starcevich
HB: McKenna, Andrews, Rich
C: Ashcroft, Berry, McCluggage
HF: Zorko, Hipwood, Bailey
F: Cameron, Daniher, Gunston
R: O’Mac, Neale, Dunkley
I: Coleman, Wilmot, McCarthy, Prior
Sub: AhChee or Dev

Lions by Plenty🦁

Ahhh, ok maybe just by a goal or so.

Current Odds:
Lions $ 2.00 Collingwood deserved favourites at $ 1.84

Enjoy the game and gamble responsibly.

And have a Happy Easter

Damning stats are definitely handballs, scoring shots and goal assists. Shows a strong running, dangerous, team first approach. We have to close down their handball game, and hopefully our height will create the advantage when they kick.
Ideally get an early lead and make them chase all game, we don't want to be on the back foot with this team.

Expect us to get absolutely pumped by them. McStay will probably kick 5+ and Crisp will have 40 odd touches with 1200 metres gained as he runs past a midfield that doesnt want to help each other.

This'll either be a wakeup call for us, a narrow win or an absolute coin flip on the day.

The Pies are ripe for the picking in my view and will come out zinging for a while pumped up by their recent successes .But they spent an awful lot of juice against the Tigers for comparatively a lot less result for the majority of the game and in humid slippery conditions they should run out of gas if we hang in there for the first half.

Don't see how we don't dominate the ruck so surely we'll have a plan to use that.

I'm a bit perplexed by how spasmodic and topsy turvy our form is thus far but if we can't put in a big showing in this game then we've got real problems somewhere.

Agree with Dalions ,the Gabba ,the conditions ,their apparent invincibility and our ineptness is the right backdrop for a big win here.

Unless they are the real deal and we're not as good as we thought we were.

The Pies are ripe for the picking in my view and will come out zinging for a while pumped up by their recent successes .But they spent an awful lot of juice against the Tigers for comparatively a lot less result for the majority of the game and in humid slippery conditions they should run out of gas if we hang in there for the first half.

Don't see how we don't dominate the ruck so surely we'll have a plan to use that.

I'm a bit perplexed by how spasmodic and topsy turvy our form is thus far but if we can't put in a big showing in this game then we've got real problems somewhere.

Agree with Dalions ,the Gabba ,the conditions ,their apparent invincibility and our ineptness is the right backdrop for a big win here.

Unless they are the real deal and we're not as good as we thought we were.
Id like to think you are spot on, but w/o knowing the stats, I suspect the Pies are probably the best team on the road and are certainly the best Vic team on the road, even when they've been going poorly they get good wins on the road, no matter where they are travelling.

I think iioninthesand nailed it - which is incredible given how long Fagan and his assistance have had with this group yet the like of McCrae and even Lyons have instilled noticeable gameplans in as little as months. Things arent great internally at the club, so id be more in the stunned in the camp if we beat the Pies - we're all heading down it for it nonetheless and no doubt about 30-40% of the crowd will be Pies - which is usually the case for them in Gabba.

Id like to think you are spot on, but w/o knowing the stats, I suspect the Pies are probably the best team on the road and are certainly the best Vic team on the road, even when they've been going poorly they get good wins on the road, no matter where they are travelling.

I think iioninthesand nailed it - which is incredible given how long Fagan and his assistance have had with this group yet the like of McCrae and even Lyons have instilled noticeable gameplans in as little as months. Things arent great internally at the club, so id be more in the stunned in the camp if we beat the Pies - we're all heading down it for it nonetheless and no doubt about 30-40% of the crowd will be Pies - which is usually the case for them in Gabba.
Maybe they're good on the road because they don't get out of Melbourne that often are just happy chappies to get away and have a break somewhere else.

I'm simply putting my faith in the fact that we are a good side and the set up for this match is conducive.

If we fold I'll be really disappointed. More so than last week ,or even the first game. And be receptive to the view that something's gone wrong .

Expect us to get absolutely pumped by them. McStay will probably kick 5+ and Crisp will have 40 odd touches with 1200 metres gained as he runs past a midfield that doesnt want to help each other.

This'll either be a wakeup call for us, a narrow win or an absolute coin flip on the day.
But how is Dayne Beams going to go?

Martinson said

We were being murdered out of the centre in the last quarter last week and 3KZ and I were calling for Oscar to try a smash forward. His taps were being eaten by the Bulldog midfielders.

We had no plan and that's what worries me.

Early Season Form- Collingwood -

Well they have started the year on fire really, they tend to play a pretty fast and chaotic brand of footy which is all well and good when it is up and going but I also think it can lead to their downfall with a good defensive structure.
I realise that you are speaking about Collingwood as a team generically there but what does this have to do with the game being played this week? :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently we are 8-7 since the mid season bye last year with a few severe beltings among the losses.... this is starting to be a worrying pattern, we have been a middle of the road team since then (except for the 2 finals wins in 2022 I suppose). A few questions to pose.

1- Is that our level?
2- Have we peaked?
3- Do we rely too much on individual talent and not enough on strict team structures?
4- Do we have enough players who sacrifice their own game for the not so glamourous without possession roles.

Apparently we are 8-7 since the mid season bye last year with a few severe beltings among the losses.... this is starting to be a worrying pattern, we have been a middle of the road team since then (except for the 2 finals wins in 2022 I suppose). A few questions to pose.

1- Is that our level?
2- Have we peaked?
3- Do we rely too much on individual talent and not enough on strict team structures?
4- Do we have enough players who sacrifice their own game for the not so glamourous without possession roles.
We do tend to play a lot of games looking really lethargic.
Doesn’t really explain the back end of last year, but I was at 2 training sessions the week of the round 1 game against Port and I thought they were still training bloody hard. Not a lot of body contact but just a lot of running within drills and a decent amount of match play within those sessions.
Which I found a little strange particularly with the Thursday session being only 2 days out from round 1.
Just wondering if they haven’t really tapered off the training in the hope of keeping us a bit fitter for the back end of the season?
They may have had a lighter week against Melbourne because they looked so much fresher, but could have ramped things up again the week of the dogs?
Who knows but I really thought they were still training very hard and very long sessions the week of the first game of the season.

Thanks for the excellent preview Dalions.

Not sure how the coaches will approach this game.
The Pies love a fast-moving game from both teams and thrive on opposition mistakes and turnovers.
Opposition players then get caught out and are unable to defend the Pies movement via half back and wing.

i would like for us to have more of a possession game against the Pies and wait till something to opens up.
Similar to the Demons game.
This way when the inevitable turnover happens our defense is not too far out of position.

Thanks for the excellent preview Dalions.

Not sure how the coaches will approach this game.
The Pies love a fast-moving game from both teams and thrive on opposition mistakes and turnovers.
Opposition players then get caught out and are unable to defend the Pies movement via half back and wing.

i would like for us to have more of a possession game against the Pies and wait till something to opens up.
Similar to the Demons game.
This way when the inevitable turnover happens our defense is not too far out of position.
I do think we are folding back a bit more this year, giving teams the wing a bit more freely but getting number back to make that last kick inside 50 much more congested which is also why we are finding it a little harder to score because we have less numbers forward of the ball when we get turnovers, meaning they have to stop and take it reasonably slow until the player get into position.
They didn’t do it at all against Port and that blew up because they couldn’t get their hands on the ball at all.
But the other 2 games defensively have been so much better but have found it much harder to score.

1- Is that our level?
2- Have we peaked?

I don't think middle of the pack is our level, this group has shown an extremely high level of football and against top teams for the last five years. That output should be considered our level however the group is just tremendously flaky and I think part of that might be that we do rely a little too much on talent rather than discipline and structure. Does feel like we need more foot soldiers doing grunt work though you shouldn't need a personnel change for that, there's no sufficient reason why a star player can't be doing that stuff too.

I don't think middle of the pack is our level, this group has shown an extremely high level of football and against top teams for the last five years. That output should be considered our level however the group is just tremendously flaky and I think part of that might be that we do rely a little too much on talent rather than discipline and structure. Does feel like we need more foot soldiers doing grunt work though you shouldn't need a personnel change for that, there's no sufficient reason why a star player can't be doing that stuff too.
Yes agree, imagine how elite Charlie could be as a defensive pressure forward if he put more consistent effort into that role, probably take too much away from his attacking role though.

1- Is that our level?
2- Have we peaked?

Many were questioning our form before the bye last year

Strangely I don't think it's the same issues. We've upgraded Dunkley, Zorko back fit, Joe and Hippy fit. Andrews looks ok, Payne has stepped up. Conor is adding something different.

Just think without having workrate to fall back on like most top teams and with all our forwards out of form we can't rely on them to continually make something out of nothing. Leads to inconsistency

Just incredibly frustrating that on an individual level they don't seem to be improving and haven't been improving on their deficiencies

Very worrying

Yes agree, imagine how elite Charlie could be as a defensive pressure forward if he put more consistent effort into that role, probably take too much away from his attacking role though.
Charlie was great against Melbourne even though he 'only' kicked the 2 goals. He had 5 tackles that game and actually looked invested in the defensive side of the game. Give me that Charlie every week over the 3-4 goals, but no forward pressure on the ball carrier out of defence.

To be fair to Joe last week against Dogs, for how average his goalkicking was which cost us the game, his pressure and chasing and the like was faultless and is all you can ask for any forward and really the likes of Bailey and Linc and any other small should be applying the same pressure Joes was last week.

To be fair to Joe last week against Dogs, for how average his goalkicking was which cost us the game, his pressure and chasing and the like was faultless and is all you can ask for any forward and really the likes of Bailey and Linc and any other small should be applying the same pressure Joes was last week.

People forget that contest he was in on the wing and then his run to the forward pocket to take the mark from his original work. Sure he missed horribly but his work rate is actually there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back