Preview Round 5, 2019: Melbourne v St.Kilda - MCG, Saturday 20th April, 4:35PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Demons

Votes: 21 27.3%
  • Saints

Votes: 56 72.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is upset. You used your mates as some sort of verification that everyone thinks our list is poor.
You have banged on about how bad our list is for years, now we are starting to win, you are looking for ways to validate a position looking increasingly off the mark.

Not a crime to be wrong, using the opinions of nobodies to prop it up is pretty trite

I think you will find that is the perception out there. Why do you think the media are never picking us and the bookies seem to think we will lose every week? Must be our outrageously high profile list. We are getting better because guys like Billings, Lonie and Newnes who were okay have become very good players, if they keep doing that we will get respect outside the club. it's no controversial. I said this year I was optimistic that we would make up the lost ground on last year. You are being contrary trying to start an argument that isn't there.

No I just think some people are happy unless they have something to complain about. We are sudden winning so they have to put pick reasons to be unhappy.

Two weeks ago it was Coff. Before him it was White. This week Clark.

Or they just have opinions? Maybe they are happy but think certain things could be better.

No I just think some people are happy unless they have something to complain about. We are sudden winning so they have to put pick reasons to be unhappy.

Two weeks ago it was Coff. Before him it was White. This week Clark.
Some people like to discuss selection even after a win, no idea why you have a problem with that or make wild assumptions on people's happiness.

I think youll find that nearly everyone who wants hunter in is so he can get some consecutive games under his belt to get used to game pace etc etc
No one learns anything from playing once getting omitted. Getting picked again then getting omitted again
If he is sore fair enough
But anyone thats even played at some decent level knows that itll take a bit to get used to the higher level and theres only one way to do that and thats play games consecutively
And there in lies the problem.
If we give games to young guys to get them up to speed and they under perform leading to losses we may fall short of the 8. Our games are that tight, we are either just getting it done or just failing.
No finals, no interest from free agents and that is part of what Gringo was describing as having a balanced recruitment strategy.
Our players can’t be all high draft picks developed in our system, we need a diversity of players from different pathways.
What your suggesting is that they will fail if they go in and out of the 1s or that they won’t develop and I’m not sure there is any evidence to show this. In fact some players go backwards if they stay in the team underperforming and losing confidence week by week. Different players develop in different ways.

I think you will find that is the perception out there. Why do you think the media are never picking us and the bookies seem to think we will lose every week? Must be our outrageously high profile list. We are getting better because guys like Billings, Lonie and Newnes who were okay have become very good players, if they keep doing that we will get respect outside the club. it's no controversial. I said this year I was optimistic that we would make up the lost ground on last year. You are being contrary trying to start an argument that isn't there.
How is it starting an argument? You used your Melbourne mates for your confirmation bias. I stated some of my non Saints supporting friends font hold your belief.

And we are constantly underrated wherever we sit on the ladder. In 2009 I specifically beating Essendon by 3 goals after leading all night. All the radio went on about was how brave Essendon were, to the point people phoned in and told them that the Saints actually won.

Just sounds to me you are a bit concerned your 'we have a s**t list' trope you have peddled for years may not be as sure as you thought it was.
Can be seen by saying Billings and Gres are only 'OK'.

Some people like to discuss selection even after a win, no idea why you have a problem with that or make wild assumptions on people's happiness.
Because I can?

If the hat fits, wear it. If not, carry on.

FWIW it doesn't apply to posters who at least acknowledge the positives rather than always harp on about the negatives... Or worse the perceived negatives.

Last edited:
Or they just have opinions? Maybe they are happy but think certain things could be better.
Last Saturday was a classic case. Some of rubbish being posted about Coff was woeful.

We all want improvement, but some people just whinge for the sake of it.

Classic case is StC. Had many disagreements with him, but respect him because he also acknowledges the positives this year.

BTW that's just my opinion which I'm entitled to...

Because I can?

If the hat fits, wear it. If not, carry on.
Everyone can have an opinion, but that opinion should be able to be challenged without the owner of the original opinion playing the victim.

Back up your opinion if challenged, its not a crime for others to disagree.

Not directed at anyone in particular BTW.

Yes but that is VDS' opinion, why can't he have that and others agree with him?

Opinions doesn't mean it can't be challenged.
And therein lies the truth of the matter.

Witness the response to Blake's game last week. People more preoccupied with payback. So it's a bit hard take them seriously TBH.

But hey, we are trying to censor the place apparently.

When one faction challenges an argument, we are ganging up on people.

But when they do it, it's ok.

Go figure.

I think you will find that is the perception out there. Why do you think the media are never picking us and the bookies seem to think we will lose every week? Must be our outrageously high profile list. We are getting better because guys like Billings, Lonie and Newnes who were okay have become very good players, if they keep doing that we will get respect outside the club. it's no controversial.. I said this year I was optimistic that we would make up the lost ground on last year You are being contrary trying to start an argument that isn't there.
Yes you said many times during the pre season that you thought we would improve a fair bit and were optimistic about this year, you had a whole lot more faith then i did I was thinking 16th to 14th at best. But to say you are worried that we will do well because it will mean you're wrong is just childish rubbish

My Richmond and North friends say our list is pretty good and still developing

My Melbourne mates still reckon we got a steal with Kent.

Why do your non Saints friends opinion have more weight than anybody elses?
Gringo's mates like watching him get frustrated, whereas yours are scared of you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least we are winning
Don’t worry, be happy

You only have to think back to Good Friday last year to realise how much better we have it this year.

What an absolute disaster that was, our season never recovered from that crucifixion.

You only have to think back to Good Friday last year to realise how much better we have it this year.

What an absolute disaster that was, our season never recovered from that crucifixion.
Yep light years ahead of where i thought we would be at this stage fingers crossed we can keep it going a bit longer

Saw this in their thread last night and had a good chuckle. Calls us arrogent for predicting a win then proceeds to s**t on every other club. Demons fans would drink the bathwater they pissed in and tell everyone how great it is.
That's their view. I'm pretty sure that most opposition fans regard the Saints with a mixture of withering dismissal, outright hate/disgust or condescending curiosity.

In their eyes, we are a minnow that thinks it's a whale, like that Elf warrior in Lord Of The Rings or one of those yapping chihuahuas.

They are amazed that we still exist and even though most of our record number of wooden spoons were accrued in a time where it might as well have been a different sport, for them that's as relevent as our grand finals 10 years ago.

See how James Scicily ruffled the hair of Jack Lonie in our last match? Even though that was fake, that's basically what the likes of Dermott Brereton has done with our club the last 20 years.

When we regard ourselves as being "strong" and "relevant", other clubs are thinking "of course you're not, get back in your box". After we beat them they will find any excuse not to confront the truth that undermines their long-held bias. Unlucky, injuries, umpires, you name it.

It suits their narrative to imagine us as strugglers, just as it suits us to picture Dons and Blues as cheats, Port as ferals and until too late, North and Richmond as irrelevant. We learnt too late about the Tigers, they'll all learn too late about us.

Last edited:
Anyway I’m pretty confident going into tomorrow’s game.
We match up well on the Dees, we play well at the G and I’m loving the backline so far. Wilkie has far (and deservedly so) got all the credit, but I reckon Battle has gotten better every week too.
Stuv is a massive in, just as I think Lewis straight back in is good for us.
In saying all that, if the Dees bring their best I think that it’s too good for us, but being 4-1 would be a bloody great start to the year.

I'd like to have an opinion on everyone else's opinion
But in my opinion we are all just just pissing into the wind!

The harder you piss the wetter you get!
What's your opinion?

It's like a paranoid version of World of Sport in here sometimes!
Dropping to much acid when younger will do that to you

Yes but that is VDS' opinion, why can't he have that and others agree with him?

Opinions doesn't mean it can't be challenged.

He's entitled to have an option on their opinion, just like I'm entitled to have an opinion of his opinion about that opinion.You then quite rightly put up your opinion about my opinion about his opinion about the initial opinion which I'm not even sure was the initial opinion.

He's entitled to have an option on their opinion, just like I'm entitled to have an opinion of his opinion about that opinion.You then quite rightly put up your opinion about my opinion about his opinion about the initial opinion which I'm not even sure was the initial opinion.
Well that's your opinion

I'd like to have an opinion on everyone else's opinion
But in my opinion we are all just just pissing into the wind!

The harder you piss the wetter you get!
What's your opinion?

It's like a paranoid version of World of Sport in here sometimes!

Damn, I should have read ahead, I thought I was being original.

Well that's your opinion

Can't remember any more. I'm desperate for alcohol, I didn't think they closed everything for Good Friday, I live in the Bagel belt where even on Christmas you can shop, they have unreasonably stolen Easter and renamed it Passover and closed everything. I'm looking for cooking wine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back