Autopsy Round 5, 2019: Melbourne v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

It was awesome sight to see such a good ball movement.

At one point, Webster kicked the ball from our defense straight in the hands of our saints player and we were in clear.

Another pass from billings to newnes to Kent - goal.

Savage's kick is vital for the switch at the back. And battle can kick as well.

That spoil from Wilkie straight in the hands of Paton.

188 cm bloke out marking 206 cm and 200 cm bloke

The icing on the cake - all the players cheering after the billings final goal.

This reminds me of Luke Hodgey's comment from the last game, he said something along this line - "Saints are playing as one unit. The word from the teams who have played saints so far, they are playing for each other"

And I remember one of the saints player mentioned before the JLT series "We will surprise lots of people / teams this year"

Last edited:
Didn’t mention this yesterday but had an interesting chat to a guy who does the board in the coaches box. Firstly he said how relaxed it is this year compared to last. He did say though the new runners rule can be frustrating as they can’t change the match style during a quarter. The other interesting thing was richo saying to rats your man has one more week. You have backed him rats so he better deliver. The man was Kent. I reckon that’s great between 2 coaches. Tough by richo but also tough by rats backing his player

Didn’t mention this yesterday but had an interesting chat to a guy who does the board in the coaches box. Firstly he said how relaxed it is this year compared to last. He did say though the new runners rule can be frustrating as they can’t change the match style during a quarter. The other interesting thing was richo saying to rats your man has one more week. You have backed him rats so he better deliver. The man was Kent. I reckon that’s great between 2 coaches. Tough by richo but also tough by rats backing his player

Similar chats we’ve all been having regarding Kent on here. It looked like he was just about out of credits & on his last chance. He certainly paid in full. Well done to both coaches & of course Kent.

Best we have played since RICHMOND 2017. Looked really really sharp.

I have to say, this week and last week there has been lots of talk about Bruce having quiet games. Both games he has gotten to over 20 forward marking contests and I can't recall the opposition taking a defensive mark against him. He brings it to ground.

His influence on this team, both when he was my missing last year and his impact this year is way underrated. His tank and ability to get to contests make him a real weapon for us.

Similar chats we’ve all been having regarding Kent on here. It looked like he was just about out of credits & on his last chance. He certainly paid in full. Well done to both coaches & of course Kent.
No doubt he was on his last change. 3 things may have saved him. Playing Melbourne was huge for him. Young probably not doing enough and wanting to have only 2 marking players. As sad as it is to say but the paddy injury may well have been a blessing in disguise

Our back line has been huge , the best part about it we have players who can come in if anyone gets hurt.
Once Carlisle comes back he might have to find a new position , playing forward when needed.

Easy .

Think Jake can find a spot in back 6 .

Transition is Ratten has his fingerprints all over it.

Unified group on and off the field .

Wouldn’t individualise the playing group , collective result all contributed.

I have to say, this week and last week there has been lots of talk about Bruce having quiet games. Both games he has gotten to over 20 forward marking contests and I can't recall the opposition taking a defensive mark against him. He brings it to ground.

His influence on this team, both when he was my missing last year and his impact this year is way underrated. His tank and ability to get to contests make him a real weapon for us.

Easy .

Think Jake can find a spot in back 6 .

Transition is Ratten has his fingerprints all over it.

Unified group on and off the field .

Wouldn’t individualise the playing group , collective result all contributed.
Rats does the forwards they have really defined roles this years. Transition isn’t rats role. He is last in the line of transition

I don't know how they've done it, but it's crazy how much better our defensive structures are this year. It could be a result of a slower game plan, but even from our turnover, we have been excellent at not being cut apart. How often did a Melbourne player have the ball from a mark and have absolutely no one to kick to?

It's such a ragtag bunch of defenders; an old bloke who many believe/believed was slowing down, out of place in the modern game on his last year or 2, a forward turned backman that had no prior defensive experience, and a mature aged rookie pick. It's just astonishing.

Last edited:
I think that’s incorrect plugger. Rats is forward line & ball movement.
Are you sure? Not what I was told yesterday not that ball movement was actually mentioned. We were just talking about the defined roles and the guy said rats baby is the forward set up. Usually the mid coach does ball movement Well they do at gws.

And he always applies pressure on the defender when they have the ball, without fail. His endeavour cannot be faulted. Heart and soul type.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you sure? Not what I was told yesterday not that ball movement was actually mentioned. We were just talking about the defined roles and the guy said rats baby is the forward set up. Usually the mid coach does ball movement Well they do at gws.

Yea I’m sure. Unless something has changed since the roles were announced earlier this year. At the time I also found it strange but it actually makes sense when our major breakdown last year was poor conversion efficiency from forward entries last year.

On reflection, Newnes giving that totally unnecessary handball gimme goal to Kent in the goalsquare early was the catalyst.

Newnes has been excellent this year, complete 180 from last season.
Wrapped with Newnes he had a huge head knock last year and was also closest and 1st on the scene when Robbo went down at Geelong, just wonder what effect that had on him

Whos rebuild is going better???!?!
Yea I remember beginning and end of last year media comparing the rebuild clubs and saying Melbourne were obviously taking the next step and the Saints were bumbling about achieving nothing. A year is a long time I suppose. Credit to coaches and especially the recruiters have done well.

I think the extra size Bruce has this year has helped him not get out bodied, even against more than one defender. He brings our small forward piranhas into attack mode.

We are finally playing as a team for the team this year. I'ts not just individual efforts it is all across the ground!

To think this rag tag group of defenders could play so well. Now we have Paton slotting in next to Battle and Wilkie and seeming like another 200+ gamer.
Billings is elite. The amount of times he ran all the way back to put a spoil in the last line of defence showed how hard he works.
Marshall has been a revelation.
Kenty that's more like it!
Steele and Acres excellent.
Members outmarking Gawn and Preuss at the end there.
Excellent work by the whole team!
Lets not forget PARKER. I love his hardness (in a purely hetero way of course). I would love to see him and Dustin Martin in a dust-up. Who would you pick? I'm going with Parker!

For sure, I remember watching a game on foxtel just before the draft, I think it was a game between the most likelys etc.... I had no idea who the players were but he kicked a goal on the run and his technique and the way it came off the boot, it just looked solid. from that moment I was hoping we'd grab him with our first pick at 18.....but he slid and we grabbed him with one in the 30's, absolute steal.

It would have been the TAC all stars game, he was the best tall on either side. Was kicking set shots and twisting and turning before snaps like Milney. I was all over him too. Powell Pepper looked pretty good in that game too, I was torn between them.

I actually think that 2017 game was an aberration. Everything went right and Richmond could do no right. And it was for half a game.

This year had something more solid. Roo and Joey gone, kids maturing, Billings, Acres, Sinclair, Steele, breakout years, Seb Ross running again, and we add Long, Parker and Wilkie who are so at home at this level.
I feel yesterday was an accumulation of our good form of all year.

It seems more solid. Our defence fell to pieces last year when challenged. This year we quickly regroup.

My quarter was our 4th. After a 6 day break and a hot evening where we gut ran for three qtrs, we looked gassed 5 minutes before 3/4 time. The impressive part for me was the way we just killed the game, sucked the life out of it and used our defensive structure and tackling pressure to stop any run on.

Then to destroy Melbourne with those last two goals with the Billings goal after the siren, was highly impressive to me.

That last goal, our supporters were great, it was like kicking it to win after the siren. Was great to see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back