Autopsy Round 5, 2024 - Suns destroy hopeless Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarko performances were worse with Titch, JOM and other useless spuds and no youth

Yup - the 2017 Easter Monday game was a soulless, passionless contest where so many recent three time premiership players just looked like they didn’t want to be there. Today was bad - but that game was so, so much worse.

Probably the last prime time night game we get for a few years.

And yet when the fixture was announced we had a handful of the conspiracy-minded posters kicking and screaming that we had no Thursday or Friday night games. I hate to give the AFL any credit - but they are absolutely right not to give us prime time games based on that one.

They were in total control of a game up until half time before they conceded 40 points in the third quarter?

Last I remembered there are 4 quarters in a footy match.

Please

We should have bested the Bombers. Had we kicked straight we would have but that's history now.

We should dispatch North with relative ease. We'll go in as favourites. They can beat us though. Any game of footy can be decided by one team being slightly off and one team being slightly on.

Our biggest problem is we've had huge patches where we have been slightly off (slightly is being generous).
I honestly don’t even know if we wanna win the game. I reckon I would just keep playing the kids. Do we need another year of finishing above north etc and getting a pick 5 instead of pick 1? Pick 1 can hold us in such a better place regarding going after out of contract players, trading down for multiple picks etc. before you rip my head off, winning these games over last few years are why we have DGB, Ward, Watson over the likes of Logan Mc, Mac Andrew and Zane Duursma.

I have not slept tonight. I'm just that disappointed in the players, the club, Sam Mitchell, etc. after that performance. Yes, we have certainly had worse games, but we are now at the lowest low we have been since 1970. We are 0-5 for the first time since 1970. We are statistically the worst we have been in over half a century. I can't believe it.

I honestly don’t even know if we wanna win the game. I reckon I would just keep playing the kids. Do we need another year of finishing above north etc and getting a pick 5 instead of pick 1? Pick 1 can hold us in such a better place regarding going after out of contract players, trading down for multiple picks etc.

Pick 1 is rarely the best player in the draft - we absolutely need another high pick but I would still rather finish above Norf. Being that finals are a way off I’d prefer to maintain our no spoons since the 60s record.

Also said those types of games should be behind us. Makes me think he has well & truly over estimated our list & development. There should be some courageous conversations at the club this week. Both on & off the field.
Your not gonna get them with Gowers as president, McCartney as Footy Manager. Hopefully we do with Sam as coach. Starting to worry about that one too.

1713039014217.png
I hope that Sam Mitchell shows all the players this photo during the week. Because the way most of them have played this season when the game has been on the line, it makes you think they have no clue about the DNA, the vigour, the fight that made this club so great for the last 50+ years. When they play next week against North Melbourne, they need to do it for Peter Crimmins, just as Crimmo's teammates did on that final Saturday in 1976.

Winning position? They gave up 9 consecutive goals. They weren't even close to winning that.

How you think their first half against Freo is somehow worth more than say our second half against Collingwood is beyond me.

Neither mean anything if you're still behind in the last quarter.

Are you trolling or completely clueless?

Chol needs to take those marks.
He certainly does. We clearly are in need of a big marking forward but I doubt Chol will be it & Lewis. . . well he has got to be playing more than recovering, is it time to look for replacements?

I have not slept tonight. I'm just that disappointed in the players, the club, Sam Mitchell, etc. after that performance. Yes, we have certainly had worse games, but we are now at the lowest low we have been since 1970. We are 0-5 for the first time since 1970. We are statistically the worst we have been in over half a century. I can't believe it.

When you looked at the fixture what were you thinking? I had us at best 1-4 so I am not surprised with the ladder.

What I am surprised with, is how bad individuals “efforts” have been and that’s concerning.

We have a lot of very average footballers on big money that just don’t live up to the standard or effort consistently and that is real bad place to be. If you have effort and passion (magpies second half) then the rest will follow including the supporters for the ride.

How does Ward, Mackenzie, Weddle Hustwaite etc etc etc find the consistent levels each week when the senior players are not leading and won’t dig in.

S Mitchell has his hands full. Maybe it’s time to shake things up the moment he sees players not showing the effort required, to make an example of it to the group and give them a week at Box Hill until we find the right mix.

Gunston, Breust Wingard???? I hope we are not thinking these 3 all in their final years of footy are going to make a difference to this current mess.

Right now I can’t see us beating North as our hunger for the contest is just not there.

What about the conversion for the season-
Hawks 45.49 48% accuracy
Opposition 75.43 63% accuracy

Fill your boots when you play the Hawks!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tonight’s game sucked? Absolutely!

I think a lot of Hawk fans have forgotten the hard work and time required to become a premiership winning team.

We are in this for the long haul, there is no quick fixes!

Our track to the top has been impacted by the AFl’s compromised drafting system.

Our young Hawks will work there way through these new challenges and they will be better for it.

Our young Hawks have shown in small samples what there capable of and our job is stay patient whilst they work on there consistency.
That is the hope but we need to see it become consistently more hope not what was offered to supporters last night, hope less.

And yet when the fixture was announced we had a handful of the conspiracy-minded posters kicking and screaming that we had no Thursday or Friday night games. I hate to give the AFL any credit - but they are absolutely right not to give us prime time games based on that one.
No point playing prime time when you play like that

But we shouldn’t be playing like that….we should be progressing not regressing

The issue is a real one and has been ongoing for years as acknowledged by board itelf in agm

More to the point however you have to perform on the pitch or at least show signs of progress rather than rapid regression …

I was the opposite, I knew we were going to have a hard day, we do not match up well against the suns. But still enjoyed moments where we tried different things and it worked out, we will be better for it.

Did anyone see GC against GWS last week ?
If you did , you would have had a fair idea that last night was going to potentially play out how it did . They weren't far off rolling the Giants and pretty much went toe to toe with them in general play.
They will beat better sides than us up there.

They are a young team like us ......but have multiple high end picks , academy and the like. We are building off pretty much 1 top 10 pick per draft ajd hoping to fast track their development along with the others.
A far slower , harder build .

And you can add in its a ground we are terrible at against a side who even at a lower ebb seem to beat us .

I get the angst . But reality is reality . Improvement in team and individual isnt linear and we are living that now.
Everyone cops injuries , ours are stinging us due to how important they are to us .

Its deep breath time and lets see how we respond next week against a team we should beat , but will see us a team they can also roll .

We look like a bunch of random guys who just got thrown together having never trained or played together before.

We have no real strength in any one area or a let of our game we’re clearly nailing that allows us a focus point to build our game around.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We look like a bunch of random guys who just got thrown together having never trained or played together before.

We have no real strength in any one area or a let of our game we’re clearly nailing that allows us a focus point to build our game around.

Yep, this year when we have been at our worst we have looked like a bunch of Aussie rules converts from another country.

Absolutely. We have a group of guys that are exactly the same build with no tackling strength that run around like headless chickens. The most horrendous skill levels I’ve seen in 2024. VFL teams would beat us. This is not a rebuild but have employed Whelan the wrecker. Two players that have any currency on the open market are Weddle and Worpel. The rest wouldn’t get picked at a lunchtime school match. What is Sam Mitchell and his line coaches doing. Particularly midfield. Even Burgoyne in his TV commentary was saying to try something different in the midfield because whatever is going on in there is not working. Hawthorn is NOT working for whatever reason and we are other teams training drill.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

was a signing out of desperation. There is a reason he was let go twice. His intensity is as poor as i have seen. Continue with Ramsden over him if there is a choice going forward.
Mitch Lewis has played multiple worse games this year.

Sadly for Chol he had his worst game for us against a former coach he would have liked to prove wrong.

Playing our back pocket at Full Forward didn't work a second time. Desperate times but we were too short up forward. Suns picked us off with ease. (Ramsden not quite there).

The Weddle to CHF call has some merit. Even if it's a short term trial. What have we got to lose? He took some nice grsbs on the wing and was one of our better youngsters. Not perfect, but showed something. All we ask.

Did anyone see GC against GWS last week ?
If you did , you would have had a fair idea that last night was going to potentially play out how it did . They weren't far off rolling the Giants and pretty much went toe to toe with them in general play.
They will beat better sides than us up there.

They are a young team like us ......but have multiple high end picks , academy and the like. We are building off pretty much 1 top 10 pick per draft ajd hoping to fast track their development along with the others.
A far slower , harder build .

And you can add in its a ground we are terrible at against a side who even at a lower ebb seem to beat us .

I get the angst . But reality is reality . Improvement in team and individual isnt linear and we are living that now.
Everyone cops injuries , ours are stinging us due to how important they are to us .

Its deep breath time and lets see how we respond next week against a team we should beat , but will see us a team they can also roll .

Yeah, I think people have to realise bottom out rebuilds aren't as quick anymore as what they were in the 2000's. And we're basically trying to do it with just 1 first round pick per season and no academy players, no high draft pick F/S and no priority picks.

I know it's hard to think, but we've performed better than what we displaying at this time last year. Last years GC game was actually worse. Just gonna have to ride the bumps with a grin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back