Preview Round 11, 2024 : Hawks v Lions, 1:10pm Sunday 26th May, Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Is Ward still not doing enough right at Box Hill?
I figured he would be back by now.

He's been very good. You still have to drop a mid for him to come in.

D'Ambrosio or CJ off a wing?

MacKenzie or MacDonald out of the forward rotations?

Nash or Worps out of the centre?

Just hard to justify him displacing anyone on AFL form imo. Injuries and form fluctuations will come eventually.

Naive question from a lions fan - i thought Maginness tagged midfielders? Sounds like he is not playing anyway. Neale is still our most important player in my view, surprised more don't tag him as he can get frustrated.

Just waiting for Gunston to kick four on us haha. He looked awesome in the first quarter of dogs game. Fair to say he has slowed down a lot but get the feeling he will hurt us on Sunday!

Hawks have improved a lot and we have struggled against you a lot. The one upside i can see is we definitely won't be taking you lightly, and we have played pretty poorly in every match against you.

Still think the odds are wild.

Perhaps the X factor is are you flat after that close loss, or ready to run through brick walls...

Naive question from a lions fan - i thought Maginness tagged midfielders? Sounds like he is not playing anyway. Neale is still our most important player in my view, surprised more don't tag him as he can get frustrated.

Just waiting for Gunston to kick four on us haha. He looked awesome in the first quarter of dogs game. Fair to say he has slowed down a lot but get the feeling he will hurt us on Sunday!

Hawks have improved a lot and we have struggled against you a lot. The one upside i can see is we definitely won't be taking you lightly, and we have played pretty poorly in every match against you.

Perhaps the X factor is are you flat after that close loss, or ready to run through brick walls...
Finn won't make the cut this week.

Competition for spots is high now.

Finn and Gunston are both unlikely to play. Hopefully Dear can kick his four and deliver on your anticipation :)

Wow it’s like I shot Bambi. I didn’t say Dear had done anything wrong. I simply said he might benefit from some time back at the lower level. It was based on analysing the extended bench and concluding that philips Mitchell cmac scrimshaw all play leaving Ward dear Gunston Maginness and only one can make it. My guess is that maginness comes in to tag Zorko. That’s it my opinion.
Bambi...Dear. I see what you did there.

ROUND 11 TEAM - SIR DOUG NICHOLLS ROUND
Hawthorn v Brisbane
Sunday 26 May
Marvel Stadium, 1.10pm AEST

B: Jarman Impey, Sam Frost, Changkuoth Jiath
HB: Karl Amon, James Sicily, Massimo D'Ambrosio
C: Conor Nash, James Worpel, Josh Weddle
HF: Will Day, Cam Mackenzie, Luke Breust
F: Jack Ginnivan, Blake Hardwick, Mabior Chol
R: Lloyd Meek, Jai Newcombe, Dylan Moore

INT: Connor Macdonald, Seamus Mitchell, Calsher Dear, Jack Scrimshaw, Jack Gunston

Emer: Ethan Phillips, Josh Ward, Finn Maginness

IN: James Sicily, Jack Scrimshaw, Jack Gunston
OUT: Nick Watson (managed), Jai Serong (omitted), Ethan Phillips (omitted)

Phillips a bit lucky I recon. Would probably rather he in than Gunston

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mentioned earlier I thought Phillips was solid and he would probably stay in - that was based on Sicily missing again and only Scrimshaw replacing Serong.

To be fair, Ethan was our last player on the list and got a run because we were completely gutted in the KPD department. With Sicily and Scrimshaw returning we would be too tall for Brisbane’s forward line if we kept Ethan in.

So Ethan goes back to Box Hill, but has hopefully got another chance coming later in the year and can do enough to earn a rookie contract for 2025.

ROUND 11 TEAM - SIR DOUG NICHOLLS ROUND
Hawthorn v Brisbane
Sunday 26 May
Marvel Stadium, 1.10pm AEST

B: Jarman Impey, Sam Frost, Changkuoth Jiath
HB: Karl Amon, James Sicily, Massimo D'Ambrosio
C: Conor Nash, James Worpel, Josh Weddle
HF: Will Day, Cam Mackenzie, Luke Breust
F: Jack Ginnivan, Blake Hardwick, Mabior Chol
R: Lloyd Meek, Jai Newcombe, Dylan Moore

INT: Connor Macdonald, Seamus Mitchell, Calsher Dear, Jack Scrimshaw, Jack Gunston

Emer: Ethan Phillips, Josh Ward, Finn Maginness

IN: James Sicily, Jack Scrimshaw, Jack Gunston
OUT: Nick Watson (managed), Jai Serong (omitted), Ethan Phillips (omitted)

Phillips a bit lucky I recon. Would probably rather he in than Gunston
Not sure of the wisdom of picking both Gunners and Bruest in the same squad. Unless Gunners is going to be sub?

Still think our backline looks better with another KPD so Phillips a bit unlucky not the get picked.

Phillips v Ryan would've been a good match up both physically and in terms of experience.

Not saying the coaches have got it wrong, just that I would've enjoyed watching that match up.

Easy stiff. Was certainly in our top 10 or 15 last week. Victim of circumstance. For the team it’s a good problem to have (who’d have thought that would be possible after blank went down) but sucks for him. Our defenders would not want to set a foot wrong.

Not sure of the wisdom of picking both Gunners and Bruest in the same squad. Unless Gunners is going to be sub?

Still think our backline looks better with another KPD so Phillips a bit unlucky not the get picked.
seems like a bad idea.

Phillips is behind all of Frost, Sicily and Scim. If they are all fit and available it really shouldn't be a surprise that he has been left out. Despite him having a solid game last weekend.

The obession some have in moving Sicily forward to accomodate all of Easy, Scrim and Frost does my head in. Sic is our best defender and one of the very best in the league. That's where he should play.

Hate the Phillips omission. Gunston doesn't deserve a call up for mine
Gunston provides that extra voice in Calsher’s ear. Won’t be surprised if we see a bigger impact from Calsh as a result.

Also think having Gunner out there could be a good idea when he can identify and tell his teammates what each mode of play is that the Lions are trying to do, in real time. On-field assistant with intel.

And I say all that after not seeing a spot for Gunner last week. He can hopefully be beneficial this week against a side he knows quite well.

I swear no other journo turned up?
Actually been good having Newmo asking the Q’s tho, the pressers get a lot more info genuine hawks fans actually crave rather than the basic run of the mill stuff
Thanks heaps for the kind words. Today I was the only journo there as that Richmond press conference was on at the same time.

I try and ask questions that I would want answered about the team as at the end of the day I am a supporter too. I try and street clear of the sensationalism headlines and gotchas.

Easy stiff. Was certainly in our top 10 or 15 last week. Victim of circumstance. For the team it’s a good problem to have (who’d have thought that would be possible after blank went down) but sucks for him. Our defenders would not want to set a foot wrong.
Reckon Frosty has got a few Get Out of Jail cards stacked up after his efforts to date!

Almost due for a nice long run or two out of D : 😁

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back