Autopsy Round 11, 2024 : Hawks poach the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane Bunnies anyone?

I vote the thread should be renamed "Hawks poach the Lions, yet again"

Loved the response from last week. I have this feeling that in a couple of years we'll look back at last week's game and think "that was the game"

Too many plaudits to give so I'll just say: Chol and Worps doubters, keep your tea leaf reading to yourselves. Oh and Gunners doubters too while I'm at it.

I kid you not but my 8 yo old son refused to watch the game with me today unless I turned off the commentary.

He said their voices were hurting his ears. 🤷‍♂️
Smart kid, you've done well.

My 22yo daughter turns away from the TV when we play Geelong, she can't stand to see Hawkins

Brisbane Bunnies anyone?

I vote the thread should be renamed "Hawks poach the Lions, yet again"

Loved the response from last week. I have this feeling that in a couple of years we'll look back at last week's game and think "that was the game"

Too many plaudits to give so I'll just say: Chol and Worps doubters, keep your tea leaf reading to yourselves. Oh and Gunners doubters too while I'm at it.

Maybe a contest for best re-name of a thread...?
I'm up for it, "Hawks go big game hunting poaching Lions left right and center"

the lion king film GIF

Got some selection pressure brewing, which is nice, different, unusual:

The Wizard
Ward
Husty
Wings
Morrison
Finn
Reeves
Ramma
BMac
One thing for sure is that going forward Sam will only be picking players on form.

We won't be gifting games for development purposes anymore, we are past that stage in the teams development.

Looking at the list above when you add Phillips to it I am struck as to how far behind DGB is now. He would be ten players back from getting a run in the seniors at the moment.

That injury really came at a very inopportune time for him. He's got a mountain of work ahead of him to make the team now.

One thing for sure is that going forward Sam will only be picking players on form.

We won't be gifting games for development purposes anymore, we are past that stage in the teams development.

Looking at the list above when you add Phillips to it I am struck as to how far behind DGB is now. He would be ten players back from getting a run in the seniors at the moment.

That injury really came at a very inopportune time for him. He's got a mountain of work ahead of him to make the team now.
You and Newmo89 pointed out Phillips. Cheers.
Knew I was missing someone.
Chuck in Lewis to come back...more pressure!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our % is what's going to cost us in the end I feel.
Reckon we'll be a few games shy. If we were to make the finals we can only afford to drop 1-2 more games. We play Adel x 2, GWS x 2, Rich x 2, North, Geel, Carl, WCE, Freo, Coll.

It's a big ask.

Yep when he plays HHF. Croc and Moore do too.

Ginnie through exposure to Collingwood's system is a mile ahead of most of our players in terms of situational awareness and positioning. That last stoppage against Port look at him and what he's doing - CMacdonald ignores him and lets the ball out.

He did the same against the Saints as the game was on the line. He's just smarter than nearly all of our players from having been there.

Ginnivan butchered a few by foot today which he generally doesn’t. His hands on the inside, left or right and under pressure, are close to the best in the side.

What has been noticeable in all games this year is has seriously good footy IQ. If he had some leg speed he would be one hell of a player. But we can’t complain with what he has delivered to date for what we paid.

I gotta say I love Chol. His ability to do something unexpected is a wild card. His output has been well worth the trade and contract to date. His relief rucking is also underrated.

Gee if we happen to add that A grade midfielder with leg speed in the off season, we are going to have a serious midfield unit for many years to come. With Mackenzie also developing in there, it’s going to be highly competitive.

Frost has been unbelievably reliable and consistent this season. Don’t want to mozz him but his decision making has been really strong. Still has that pace so no reason why he couldn’t continue next season at 31.

D’Ambrosio has been more than a back up player that I thought we were recruiting. Unbelievable knack of finding the ball and using it well. So young and has been a master stroke by Sleepy Mark to identify him for the pittance we paid to get him across.

Worpel is a beast. Sure he isn’t the sweetest user by foot but his power in close is underrated. This allows him to take an extra second to assess and pass to an outside user rather than just throwing it on the boot. Underrated skill and more of it please.

Overall a really pleasing result after last week’s heartbreaker. We are building and learning from mistakes we made earlier this year. A big pat on the back to the development team and coaches.

The thing about Chol is he's pretty hard working. I don't know what game the "Chol is lazy" types watch but he's basically a Reject Shop Nick Riewoldt in the amount of time he spends up the field and leading back, the number of tackles inside 50 he lays and the amount of running he does to be available.

Controversial but there is a stereotype of laziness attributed to black players that Chol seems to have attracted - in the same way indigenous players are always "magical" instead of a recognition of the work they do to be able to do that.

The thing about Chol is he's pretty hard working. I don't know what game the "Chol is lazy" types watch but he's basically a Reject Shop Nick Riewoldt in the amount of time he spends up the field and leading back, the number of tackles inside 50 he lays and the amount of running he does to be available.

Controversial but there is a stereotype of laziness attributed to black players that Chol seems to have attracted - in the same way indigenous players are always "magical" instead of a recognition of the work they do to be able to do that.
Chol was lazy, certainly. Because a player is now one thing doesn't mean that he wasn't once another. I watched him a bit due to family members supporting Richmond, he was lazy in the same way Scrimshaw was - gave up very easily and didn't show repeat efforts. He also requires a lot more rest than most other players and we've been very good with his rotations.

He is in no way similar to Nick Riewoldt who was a freakish workhorse of a player, across his career he averaged 92.5% TOG and frequently covered 15km+ a game. Chol averages 72%. You can't dismiss it on race, no one would say similar about CJ despite being African.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back