Autopsy Round 11, 2024 : Hawks poach the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

The kick by Sicily to Moore was mouth watering to free him up on the wing. Good signs. Hopefully we continue with this form. Chol fantastic. Meek and Day have made a massive difference to this side
Not enough chat about that kick, game was probably up for grabs about then.

Games of inches. Inch shorter and Lions probably have a shot on goal but it wasn’t 🤣🤣

Love the arrogance to take it on, it was a game winning kick

The kick to Dear not to bad either tbh

Chol with 6 tackles. Equal highest for the Hawks.

One thing I noticed with Chol today is that he’s insanely quick getting back to his feet. I remember a contest today where he’d hit the deck and the ball was picked up by a Lions defender - within an instant Chol had bounced back to his feet and was chasing hard and caught the bloke.

Last edited:

Not enough chat about that kick, game was probably up for grabs about then.

Games of inches. Inch shorter and Lions probably have a shot on goal but it wasn’t 🤣🤣

Love the arrogance to take it on, it was a game winning kick

The kick to Dear not to bad either tbh
It was a huge moment. Not just for the sheer ballsiness and incredible skill but because it was the complete opposite to the defensive, timid stuff the side retreated to late against Port the week before. It was a great bit of leadership.

Geez alot of supporters must wear ear muffs for 99% of a call to get hung up on one line.
Derm gave a tonne of positive reinforcement about numerous Hawk players as well as just a general positive vibe of where we are and heading.
Plus he's a damn astute caller of the game should you ever think about what he describes.

A bunch of sooks around here sometimes.
The Kid was a legend, is a legend, and will always be a legend of this game.

Thought Lynch was fine too.

Of course they support their teams, it makes them.more human and doesnt bother me. But they both do a good job of keeping it balanced and offer good insight.

You're right, this place is full of sooks when it comes to comms.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

Mabior Chol and the Hawks 2023 pick 63 … for Brisbane’s 2024 2nd rounder. Absolute Bargain!

Last edited:
Psychologically great to see the team close out by continuing to attack and then shut it down in the last minute.

Whoever comes into this team from here is going to need to be knocking that door off its hinges.

Subtle difference makers between our earlier season games and now to me are

-Meek playing like a top 3 ruck
-Day, leadership everywhere
-When Frosty takes an intercept mark and runs breaking the line, he drill it lace out to a Hawthorn player
-Games and experience into Mckenzie, D'Ambrosio, Weddle, Dear
-Mids winning clearances

CJ back today looked like we added a first round draft pick at times.

i could tell in the first few mins of the last qtr we weren’t going to lose. The mids came out with brutal intensity, lifted after a flat 3rd qtr.

Fixed what went wrong last week, focused on winning the contest at the coalface. Worpel, Nash, Day and Newk all got right in amongst it and turned the tide.

6-8 at the bye would be a terrific result.

What a game! Just got home and had the best time.

• Day in the midfield is just Bontempelli Junior and I love it
  • Worpel back to the main man role in the midfield - he's really come a long way as a player - that lace out pass to Chol form the centre break was awesome
  • I counted 7 free kicks in a row to Brisbane to start the third quarter. Stats say I'm exagerating a bit - but it was a weird patch of the game.
  • I'm glad Dear is kicking multiple goals in multiple games. The guy would be forgiven for having a few donuts to start the career but he's doing some really nice things.
  • Chol. Just love this guy
  • Chol, Ginnivan, D'Ambrosio, Gunston and Meek. What an offseason it was.(Or was Meek the previous year?). Would not have done so well today without that lot!
  • Some of the clean hands around the packs was elite today - Newcombe, Worpel, Nash, Day all flicking it around to each other to create space.
  • The break was good for Sicily
  • Frost continues to be a beast
  • Seeing multiple goals to Gunston, Chol and Dear says our forward line is starting to work the way it should.

So much to like. Wins like this make it worth riding through the bumpy times.

Meek the previous year but he feels like a new recruit.

Great to get to a game since the first time in forever and a win was just fantastic.

The boys fought hard and what was most impressive was how they arrested the momentum back at the end of the third quarter when it looked like the lions might run away with it.

Day is such an important player for us. Chol, Dear and Gunston seem to work really well together. I thought they made a lot of space for each other.

Worps was really good all day but his second quarter especially that minute burst where he had 2 goal assists was incredible. A lot Of the boys got around him after that second one celebrating and having fun.

As a team a win like this shows just how much we are on the right track.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez alot of supporters must wear ear muffs for 99% of a call to get hung up on one line.
Derm gave a tonne of positive reinforcement about numerous Hawk players as well as just a general positive vibe of where we are and heading.
Plus he's a damn astute caller of the game should you ever think about what he describes.

Hey Dermie!

Loved watching you as a young un😍😍😍

The one thing I really noticed though is how slow we can be to set up defensively and how lax we can be at times especially after turnovers.

Probably why we’ve been struggling at the MCG a lot this year.

Offensively we do a lot right as a team but give up a few easy goals especially on turnover where our guys don’t push back hard enough and lions had targets galore to hit.

They weren’t able to take full toll this game and it shows how far our offensive game has come to be able to still win.

Fix up our speed of defensive transition and get our guys not giving opposition players as much space out the back and forward of the ball this line up would be playing finals.

One thing I noticed with Chol today is that he’s insanely quick getting back to his feet. I remember a content today where he’d hit the deck and the ball was picked up by a Lions defender - within an instant Chol had bounced back to his feet and was chasing hard and caught the bloke.
This is one of the big reasons I've never really rated Daniher. He hits the deck (often in an attempt to draw free kicks) and he stays there, then Brissie are a man down as the ball gets rebounded. I'd rather a player who kicks fewer goals but helps the team win by staying in the game as much as possible.

i could tell in the first few mins of the last qtr we weren’t going to lose. The mids came out with brutal intensity, lifted after a flat 3rd qtr.

Fixed what went wrong last week, focused on winning the contest at the coalface. Worpel, Nash, Day and Newk all got right in amongst it and turned the tide.

6-8 at the bye would be a terrific result.
Yep raised the tackle intensity and got on top .

If you talk to anyone outside of hawthorn Kellie and Derm are the two everyone hates calling their game. He’s stomachable coz he’s a hawk legend but a damn astute caller he certainly is not.

If you talk to anyone outside of hawthorn Kellie and Derm are the two everyone hates calling their game. He’s stomachable coz he’s a hawk legend but a damn astute caller he certainly is not.
Kingy constantly challenges him. It's fun to watch.

If Underwood is common tating I mute the TV and turn the radio on

İncredible how Ginni only gets talked about when he draws free kicks. Yet, the bloke has so much more traits to him. Works his arse off every game and love the way he gets inside packs and gets his hands dirty. Just a lazy 23 disposals across half frwd. What a pick up.
Btw, worps was instrumental in close but more importantly, on the outside as well. Looked so clean with the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back