Preview Round 5, 2024: Suns v Hawks, 7:30pm Sat 13th April, People First Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully no injuries spring up this week.

Bruest may be available according to Sam’s presser, but may also need another week.

Could see an unchanged team.

Go at it.

Needs to go to Rowell or Miller
He can't. Those guys you need to stop at the source and Finn just isn't a great centre bounce player.

Finn needs to start off ball and move on to someone in general play, by the time you get to Rowell or Miller in general play the damage is done.

This won’t happen but I’d like to give Croc and Weddle a spell. I’m big on both of them but don’t mind the idea of Croc going back and dominating a game at VFL level and giving Butler a chance in his high half forward role. I’d like to give him a decent chance to show what he’s capable of. Weddle is probably my favourite youngster at the club but he looks a bit tired. I understand that he’s an aerobic beast but a week to freshen up wouldn’t hurt him.

Like I said, won’t happen but…
In: Serong (GC have a tall forward line) & Breust (if fit)
Out: MacDonald & Weddle

This is a game where we either grind out the scrappiest, most feel-good win or get belted by 12 goals. No middle ground.
It will be a humid evening game that we are generally trash in.

Missed kicks, dropped marks and bad play everywhere.

I’m prepared.

Not confident at all. Gold Coast’s biggest strength is their contested mids and that’s currently our biggest weakness. They also have 3x genuine quality tall forward that can stretch our undermanned backline. On their home turf its going to be a massive task.

I’d personally give Lewis and Breust another week of rest to make sure they’re fully over the injuries that have hampered their starts to the season.

Ins: Serong
Out: Hustwaite

B: Sicily Frost Serong
HB: Mitchell Scrim Impey
C: Amon Nash D’Ambrosio
HF: Moore Ramsden CMac
F: Ginnivan Chol Hardwick
Fol: Meek Newcombe Worpel
Int: Weddle Ward Mackenzie Maginness
Sub: Butler

It will be a humid evening game that we are generally trash in.

Missed kicks, dropped marks and bad play everywhere.

I’m prepared.
Think Gold Coast's ability for an implosion keeps us in the hunt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another big test for the team this week. Travelling interstate off a second 6 day break.
As SYL said the humid and dewy conditions won't be in our favour and we have a very ordinary record playing up there.
Will be a big game for the midfield up against Witts, Anderson, Rowell, Miller etc and will be interested to see who we entrust with going with those players - do we back in a tag from a Nash or do we go head to head?
Serong will likely come in to help bolster the backline against the combination of King, Reid and Walter.
Reckon the unlikely person coming out of the team will be Finn, unless we have him go to Sam Flanders who has been in good form from half back.

A lot depends on how good the legs are being the second 6 day break.

We finished well last week which gives me hope but need to get up again and hope to see 4 quarters of perfomance.

Suns will run us off our feet if the players are feeling it even a little.

Last edited:
Mac Andrews is in great form.

The last 15 mins against the Giants they refuse to go in hard and lower.

They were in the match.

They can be very soft when things don't go their way.

I guess Hardwick sees it hence the 7 changes.

If the boys are truly learning from these losses to better sides than the Suns we should win this.

We just struggle so badly when teams get a run on.

This is where Sicily needs to be more vocal.

This won’t happen but I’d like to give Croc and Weddle a spell. I’m big on both of them but don’t mind the idea of Croc going back and dominating a game at VFL level and giving Butler a chance in his high half forward role. I’d like to give him a decent chance to show what he’s capable of. Weddle is probably my favourite youngster at the club but he looks a bit tired. I understand that he’s an aerobic beast but a week to freshen up wouldn’t hurt him.

Like I said, won’t happen but…
In: Serong (GC have a tall forward line) & Breust (if fit)
Out: MacDonald & Weddle

I can see where you are coming from but I'd prefer not to do these moves...

Many have been calling (in the Pies autopsy thread) for Croc to be dropped and saying how bad he has been this season which I think is a big overreaction to a quiet game (and in particular that missed goal late). Prior to this week, Croc was averaging 18 touches and nearly a goal a game, which is very respectable for a half forward, especially one in a bottom team whose midfield has been soundly beaten (and particularly for someone sub 50 games). He has a lot of talent, his touches are classy and I think we should be pumping as many games into him as possible (preferably with a few more CBA's (0 the last 2 weeks) where I feel we would be better served having a better spread in terms of development rather than the same 3 getting almost all of them).

Butler earnt his call up and deserves more chances but he is much more the pure small forward type (rather than 'high' half forward role), did only have 3 touches yesterday and I don't believe has the same level of talent as Croc. If Butler continues to earn a game through strong VFL performances then give them to him but I don't think it should be at the expense of Croc.

In terms of Weddle - he too had some head scratching (un- Hawthorn) like moments yesterday. IMO, these require a brief (shame free) one on one chat where Weddle offers his thoughts on what he will do differently going forward. Prior to this week, he's been better defensively and had 20 touches (and an assist) in week 1, 21 touches and a goal in week 2 and 16 touches last week. He's played just 20 games and is obviously very talented. I think he is another we should be pumping games into and allowing him to (continue to) blossom. I also don't think there is a huge benefit in him playing at Box Hill. His main area for development is his decision making at speed/under pressure. At VFL level, the speed of the game (and pressure) is much lower. Yes, he would likely dominate (as he did against West Coas last year when their pressure was not AFL standard) but I don't think it will do anything meaningful to further develop/prepare him for the pressure and speed of the AFL. He needs time at AFL level.

Don't get me wrong - I don't think players are "undroppable" - if there is sustained underperformance then they should play VFL. I just also don't believe one quiet performance in a struggling team for a talented kid that is otherwise tracking well should warrant the demotion and won't serve us as well as giving them more games.

I worry about this midfield battle. Their midfield is really good and with the exception of yesterday's second half, ours has struggled. We will need Newcombe firing or we could get really thumped in the middle.

This will be a good challenge for Meek. He's been really good since returning to the side but Witts is a much better opponent than those he has faced so far.

I'd drop Finn. We actually looked best after half time when we dropped the hard tag. Finn's skills are not even close to AFL level. I'd rather assign Nash a task of minding Rowell at stoppages.

Hustwaite in for Finn. Butler sub.

Something needs to be done to free up Sicily. Whether thats another tall defender into the team or positional change for him. Newcombe returned to form yesterday but Sicily is still well below his best and we need him firing to win games.

Not confident at all. Gold Coast’s biggest strength is their contested mids and that’s currently our biggest weakness. They also have 3x genuine quality tall forward that can stretch our undermanned backline. On their home turf its going to be a massive task.

I’d personally give Lewis and Breust another week of rest to make sure they’re fully over the injuries that have hampered their starts to the season.

Ins: Serong
Out: Hustwaite

B: Sicily Frost Serong
HB: Mitchell Scrim Impey
C: Amon Nash D’Ambrosio
HF: Moore Ramsden CMac
F: Ginnivan Chol Hardwick
Fol: Meek Newcombe Worpel
Int: Weddle Ward Mackenzie Maginness
Sub: Butler
Still no sign of Phillips this week, do we think? Why did we grab him?

I worry about this midfield battle. Their midfield is really good and with the exception of yesterday's second half, ours has struggled. We will need Newcombe firing or we could get really thumped in the middle.

This will be a good challenge for Meek. He's been really good since returning to the side but Witts is a much better opponent than those he has faced so far.

I'd drop Finn. We actually looked best after half time when we dropped the hard tag. Finn's skills are not even close to AFL level. I'd rather assign Nash a task of minding Rowell at stoppages.

Hustwaite in for Finn. Butler sub.

Something needs to be done to free up Sicily. Whether thats another tall defender into the team or positional change for him. Newcombe returned to form yesterday but Sicily is still well below his best and we need him firing to win games.
We do need to find some way for more than 1 mid to have an impact on any given day. Concerning start to the season for sure.

They were in the match.

If the boys are truly learning from these losses to better sides than the Suns we should win this.

Im not 100% that Collingwood are currently better than the suns.

Centre clearances continue to be our biggest issue, the suns midfield is very good at winning them.

Other than King they’ll have Read and Walter, so Scrim and Sis will peel off all day and help Frosty.

Once again, like every game, win the midfield battle and we’ll probably win the game. We haven’t done that yet.

Serong might come in if we’re worried about their centre clearances, or to allow Hardwick to stay forward.

They were in the match.

Slip into the GCS locker rooms and leave a hawthorn jumper at Mac Andrews' locker with a note saying how nice he would look in it..;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back