Review Round 6, 2019 - Gold Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The Lesters, Cutlers and Taylors aren't flashy, but when we need stability in a game the role-players are the ones you can rely on. The flashy ones might be the game-changers and the exciting ones, but without role-players to balance them out there's no consistency.

What I want now from those three is for them to back it up and play their roles week in and week out. It won't get them the big kudos from the fans, but it's still vital for us moving forward.

The best example of this sort of player is my boy Joel Patfull. Not really noticed until he started winning B&Fs, but boy did we miss him when he left.

It was great to see the fuss everyone made of Answerth in the post-game huddle.

And if it was a 50m penalty for "good call", what would it have been for "**it call".
Exactly the same result I believe. So I guess you may as well just say what's really on your mind. :)

Exactly the same result I believe. So I guess you may as well just say what's really on your mind. :)
Umpires have a tough job but really, sometimes they seem like precious little darlings.

All the ump had to do in response to Hippy's little jibe was to say "Thanks, I appreciate your assessment" or "don't be such a smartarse".

A bit of humor goes a long way.

These theatrical 50's for whatever reason just seem like total overreactions on most occasions.

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd rather they go the other way - hard line. Cut down the crap of people whinging/yelling at them. No ambiguity.

Of course, I'd also like them to be consistent in the free kicks they pay but that appears to be getting worse anyway.

Ball gets knocked away while you're holding it to your body - play on.
Ball gets knocked away while you're holding it further out - incorrect disposal.
Get tackled to the ground and throw the ball out - play on.
Get tackled and throw the ball out before hitting the ground - incorrect disposal.
Tackle a player to the ground while they're running - holding the man (most of the time)
Tackle a player to the ground after they've disposed of the ball - holding the man (sometimes).
Tackle a player to the ground when they're standing off the ball - play on.

I thought Lewie Taylor added a lot of energy through the middle and provided consistent linkups - I can't see him losing his spot next week. Mitch also injected a lot of grunt and pressure through the centre of the ground.

My tip for the Medal was actually Dan Rich. He just seems to be growing into that half-back rebound role, and he's even getting a lot more contested marks and tackles that he used to despite the short reach! Overall, the maturity and experience of our backline showed (Hodge, Rich, Darcy, Lester and Walker), with the Suns getting only nine goals (no free sponsor hamburgers this week!).

I thought Lewie Taylor added a lot of energy through the middle and provided consistent linkups - I can't see him losing his spot next week. Mitch also injected a lot of grunt and pressure through the centre of the ground.

My tip for the Medal was actually Dan Rich. He just seems to be growing into that half-back rebound role, and he's even getting a lot more contested marks and tackles that he used to despite the short reach! Overall, the maturity and experience of our backline showed (Hodge, Rich, Darcy, Lester and Walker), with the Suns getting only nine goals (no free sponsor hamburgers this week!).

A couple of times rich made it look like he had pressed the go slow button on those around him as he moved through them. That ability to create time and space is a calling card of the elite players and I'm glad to see him going to the next level.

Rich would have to be the in form HBF in the comp. If he keeps this up he'll be AA.

Whitfield, Saad, Sicily (if you call him a flanker). I'd say Richy is well on track for an AA squad spot, we would have to really shoot up the ladder unexpectedly for him to make the team though imo.

Whitfield has Been a midfielder this year and would have Rich ahead of Saad. Sicily is definitely a viable opposing flanker but reckon Rich has his number right now. It's a long season though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All well and good, but I have no faith that the supposed footy pundits that select the AA side would even have noticed Rich's consistent season.

Kane Cornes does a rolling AA side on a week to week basis on the Sunday Footy Show and Rich hasn't been included once and I'd consider Cornes someone that doesn't have Vic centric glasses on.

A long way to go but it would be a real personal cherry on top for Rich to make an AA team.

I'd rather they go the other way - hard line. Cut down the crap of people whinging/yelling at them. No ambiguity.

Of course, I'd also like them to be consistent in the free kicks they pay but that appears to be getting worse anyway.

Ball gets knocked away while you're holding it to your body - play on.
Ball gets knocked away while you're holding it further out - incorrect disposal.
Get tackled to the ground and throw the ball out - play on.
Get tackled and throw the ball out before hitting the ground - incorrect disposal.
Tackle a player to the ground while they're running - holding the man (most of the time)
Tackle a player to the ground after they've disposed of the ball - holding the man (sometimes).
Tackle a player to the ground when they're standing off the ball - play on.

This is the single biggest umpiring interpretation issue in the game. Not only can there be different interpretations between games, there are very often differences within games.

IMHO it began with the deliberate Swans hand shuffle [overlooked and therefore encouraged for years] intermingled with the umpiring policy emphasis on play on at all costs. Now, too late, the officials are attempting to retrieve the situation. By now, all the coaches have cottoned on. The latest evolution is the non-handball where the requirement for one hand to be at least notionally stationary is obsolete. As long as it looks a bit like it's ok then that's all she wrote. Simon Black would be shooting the lights out these days.

In addition, there is there push in the back thing, conflicted with the holding the ball thing. Game after game you can clearly see variations in the prior opportunity rule [there were several in the GC game]. Shouldn't happen. Now it's a guess at the best of times.

Personally, I don't think umpiring standards have been more variable. The best are just that. Then I give you that umpire who hammered us at the Gabba v Collingwood. This effort basically amounted to juvenile victimisation of a development side v a "top side". If it's not beyond the pale for Clarkson to have a coffee with Gil re umpiring we should be making it clear we don't want to see this bloke again.

A particular bugbear of mine- we have by now regular boundary umpire thing where it's a guessing game as to how far the ball will be tossed in. And for the AFL to weekly come out saying there are no problems, no mistakes etc defies plain commonsense and the evidence of your own eyes.

Just my HO.

Last- if, if, the "good call' thing is accurate then that umpire owes our lad an apology.

All well and good, but I have no faith that the supposed footy pundits that select the AA side would even have noticed Rich's consistent season.

Kane Cornes does a rolling AA side on a week to week basis on the Sunday Footy Show and Rich hasn't been included once and I'd consider Cornes someone that doesn't have Vic centric glasses on.

A long way to go but it would be a real personal cherry on top for Rich to make an AA team.

It's very hard for an existing long term player to change the perception about them and have people really notice in 1 season. You really have to do it for 2-3 for it to really catch on, or catch the eye of a really big hitter in the media who then drives the conversation. The latter is much harder to do outside of Melbourne. It's much easier as a younger guy to suddenly have a great season and be noticed because of the lower expectations and limited perceptions of the player you already are.

Rich has been absolutely fantastic for us all season.

He negated a few gold coast attacks right when they were starting to get their confidence up, could have been a different game if he didn't

Even turned his defence into attack a few times. He's growing in confidence each game. Love our boy Richy

It's very hard for an existing long term player to change the perception about them and have people really notice in 1 season. You really have to do it for 2-3 for it to really catch on, or catch the eye of a really big hitter in the media who then drives the conversation. The latter is much harder to do outside of Melbourne. It's much easier as a younger guy to suddenly have a great season and be noticed because of the lower expectations and limited perceptions of the player you already are.
Well said.

Rich has been absolutely fantastic for us all season.

He negated a few gold coast attacks right when they were starting to get their confidence up, could have been a different game if he didn't

Even turned his defence into attack a few times. He's growing in confidence each game. Love our boy Richy

We shouldn't forget he was in contention for top 3 in his draft and was considered a slider when we picked him up at 7.

This from jason pm from the game day thread!

“Stat just bought up on SEN, we need to set the tone early.

Lions- 1-4 in 1st quarters at -35 points.
Suns- 4-1 in 1st quarters at +86 points.”

Make that -
Lions- 1-5 in first quarters at -38

Still need to work on our starts, this game was more down to extremely poor conversion on very gettable shots.

GOLD COAST v BRISBANE
10 Lachlan Neale (BL)
8 Mitch Robinson (BL)
6 Charlie Cameron (BL)
3 Hugh McCluggage (BL)
2 Jarryd Lyons (BL)
1 Daniel Rich (BL)

Pretty easy to work out who got what:

10 Lachlan Neale (5,5)
8 Mitch Robinson (4,4)
6 Charlie Cameron (3,3)
3 Hugh McCluggage (2,1)