Preview Round 6, 2021: Port Adelaide v St.Kilda - Adelaide Oval, Sunday 25th April, 6:40PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Power

Votes: 46 67.6%
  • Saints

Votes: 22 32.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll believe it when I see it. Steele leads by example, but does he have the guts to call out to team mates when the going gets tough?
That's what potential is lol

Who had 3/4 of a good season and dropped down to Lonie standard or below. We have to be doing something wrong for players to go backwards in our system.
Let’s wait and see how long Hind keeps up this form shall we? Like you said, Butler looked a million dollars after 5 rounds last season, so who knows how long the honeymoon period lasts for Hind.

He was dropped 3 times last year.

Once after a 4 disposal, 0 score performance against Collingwood where Josh Battle replaced him the following week.

When he got back in, he played 7 games straight and was dropped again after 5 weeks where he kicked a total 1 goal and had a run of 7,7 and 4 disposals. Lonie replaced him and doubled Hind's goal tall of the past 5 weeks in one game.

He then came back in for a single game against West Coast where he produced another 7 disposal, 0 goal performance and was replaced by Carlisle the following week which is more a structural change than anything.

If he felt he was unfairly targeted after any of those performances then he must have an attitude problem because he wasnt producing anything to warrant him keeping his place in the side.
Yep, I was a big wrap for what Hind could do when he was on, but the simple fact was that he went completely AWOL for weeks at a time and simply had to be dropped. He was given loads of chances and just didn’t make the most of them.

But you can't have it both ways though mate, keeping mediocre players like Bruce, Hind, Newnes, Savage, Marsh & Phillips would be sitting on our hands. The club turned over 13 players last trade period and brought in Crouch and Higgins, so they're clearly making effort to improve the list… not every hit will be a home run.

We are trying to build a list while staying competitive. Hind looks above average in his proper position. Essendon sold a player just like him in Saad and got pick 8. We bought Hind developed him for 2 years then gave him away for a pick that we were never going to use. Essendon then got Nick Cox who so far looks like a once in a generation player. We laughed at Dildo but....

We have to do better, giving away our players on the cheap and not drafting youth while paying top dollar for below average players will not be a great long term strategy and looks like cause of having a s**t list which means we have to desperately grab at s**t and the cycle continues.

Building a list is about depth as well as top end. We have neither.

I don't think jwikked is saying that...just pointing out that we apparently had leaders to take us forward after Riewoldt and Montagna. Instead we discovered that we had a leadership vacuum, and consequently fell into a black hole. Other than some work in admin. There isn't much to suggest that much has changed at the club...10 goal blow out losses has been our norm for quite awhile now. Last year a possible outlier in tumultuous circumstances for the industry. When it is proved otherwise I think we will see a change of heart from most supporters...but you certainly can't blame them for being sceptical and a bit untrusting.

I understand your frustration, but the point of my post has nothing to do with accepting mediocrity. The point is that it is dumb to point to the Bulldogs and shout "why can't we have that!?", because the Dogs have received concession after concession on a silver platter, coupled with more than their fair share of good luck.

It's all well and good to talk tough, say we are never going to accept mediocrity, sack everyone and only hire the best of the best, but the fact remains that there is absolutely nothing we could do, or ever could have done, which would allow us to replicate the Dogs' list.

And just by the way, despite their list, they've done sweet fu** all for 5 years.

But surely we can't have had 20 years of bad luck with drafting and recruiting. We have to address the issues or it will be another 20 years of the same thing. There are people at the club that never change no matter how bad the outcomes in their areas. I'd take their * all over ours, they won a premiership and immediately went into rebuild recognising they had an average list. They have now done that and will probably have the opportunity to be the next Richmond like dynasty. They are a model for strategy over just winning through to make a final with no higher goal.

I don't even need a premiership, just not more rollercoaster, just be solid good and not embarrassing.

I would've given him a chance over Long, who doesn't actually do all that much, but I know Long has plenty of fans around here.
Long was literally our no.1 intercept player last year and intercepting is without doubt one of the most important aspects of the game, so you’d have to have an incredibly good reason to drop your leading interceptor.

Especially for a guy who was hardly getting a kick!

If you followed the tigers you would find fault with them.

I would have when they were shithouse. They were s**t for years and it looks like we are modelling ourselves on their long dark winter period. We have started the Jack Riewoldt era with King so 10 years after drafting King we'll start the premiership run. So that makes 2030 the start of our three peat era but we still have to ride our a long sustained period of finishing 9th.

Bingo.

we lack on field leaders. That’s where Hanners and Gears are worth all their weight in gold.

Is there any actual evidence of Hanners exceptional leadership? He's hardly played.

The lack of quality youngsters coming through is a worry, other than Bytel we don't seem to have anyone really knocking the door down to get a game.

This is where trading those draft picks for Hill hurts, it wouldn't be so bad if he was tearing it up and in our best players every week but he isn't.
50/50 on that one.
With a fit list Bytel likely wouldn't get much opportunity, and Byrnes seems to be someone they want to get in the side atm.

We can say that right now Bytel and Byrnes are it. But Connolly is getting closer and Clav might be approaching a debut if he can hold his form and not get injured again. Allison obviously isn't close yet.

For 2021 we are hopefully (touch wood) gonna blood 4 youngsters which isnt bad, plus Snaggs and Crouch.
We also still have a young group to start with so youth isn't an imperative.

It's a long season. I dare say things will look pretty different after the mid season draft.

Although the Hill trade looks to have sucked a good pick from us, Byrnes is our boy from that draft, and if he becomes a good player then it all evens out pretty well.

PS. And we got Doogs with that first round pick too.
In fact, Doogs, Paddy and most of Hill.
Not bad IMO

Last edited:
Yep, I was a big wrap for what Hind could do when he was on, but the simple fact was that he went completely AWOL for weeks at a time and simply had to be dropped. He was given loads of chances and just didn’t make the most of them.
The main problem with Hind that I think most of his fans were calling for was for him to play at HB as oppose to HF. Everyone knows how hard it is to play Hf at the best of times especially when your not a natural forward. Funny how he’s thriving now at HB...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But surely we can't have had 20 years of bad luck with drafting and recruiting. We have to address the issues or it will be another 20 years of the same thing. There are people at the club that never change no matter how bad the outcomes in their areas. I'd take their fu** all over ours, they won a premiership and immediately went into rebuild recognising they had an average list. They have now done that and will probably have the opportunity to be the next Richmond like dynasty. They are a model for strategy over just winning through to make a final with no higher goal.

I don't even need a premiership, just not more rollercoaster, just be solid good and not embarrassing.

Well said...though I wouldn't knock back a premiership if one happened to come our way. In fact i'll take one in any circumstances. We are desperate, and willing. To use one of your analogies...we are like the guy at last orders in the club...some hot girl is feeling lonely and will feel like a pumpkin if she goes home empty handed...fortunately we're still able to stand...so the girl forgoes her better judgement...and says "we'll do." We get the the stride of pride as opposed to our usual walk of shame...the industry feels a little dirty, but ultimately relieved...and all is forgotten come the next weekend.

The main problem with Hind that I think most of his fans were calling for was for him to play at HB as oppose to HF. Everyone knows how hard it is to play Hf at the best of times especially when your not a natural forward. Funny how he’s thriving now at HB...
I tend to agree on Hind and was saying he had a unique talent with his pace and X-factor that was unique in the league and on our list.

Problem is on here, we often don’t see our small forwards as a collective have had a drop off after the Gold Coast game.

Hind destroyed the Swans, then Butler did the same to Gold Coast the following week (and destroyed plenty of teams earlier in the year), but then, outside of the GWS game - when the Giants were absolutely shot mind you and our smalls padded their stats - our smalls had a shocker.

After that, they were all pretty anonymous with Hind eventually getting swapped out for Lonie, who gave a bit more stats-wise but is a bit like shifting deck-chairs on the titanic. Our smalls as a collective were (and still are might I add) struggling to exert themselves.

My point being that no one in their right mind would say Hind played well after his stunning Sydney performance but that, in the context of his small forward teammates, he wasn’t on his own so shouldn’t have been judged as harshly as he was (this even doubly so if he was being judged in a position that isn’t his best one).

This is my take on Sunday.

Winning gets you into a position where things can change quickly.

We haven't had a great start but we have won two games in tough conditions. So despite everything seeming really bad, if we win this weekend we are actually in a decent position.

The side has shown they can win against the odds before, not only last year but this year as well.

I'm holding out some hope that our season turns around on Sunday. Call me blind, call me stupid. But there's always hope.

We haven't had a great start but we have won two games in tough conditions. So despite everything seeming really bad, if we win this weekend we are actually in a decent position.

The side has shown they can win against the odds before, not only last year but this year as well.

I'm holding out some hope that our season turns around on Sunday. Call me blind, call me stupid. But there's always hope.

Win Sunday and we go three and three with games against the Hawks and Suns to come. Big opportunity to salvage our season.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I know I’ve said this a million times but I don’t think this Sunday has any real bearing on our season as long as we don’t get smashed.

from 2-4 we have a good opportunity to sneak a few wins up until the bye. No games are easy but 7-13 is our best chance to string some wins together.

Watch this place do a complete 180 if we get up.

Just make a mental note of all the posts over the last week and have a laugh to yourself Sunday night.

However if we lose just log out, turn off your computer and pretend like BigFooty never existed.

Just make a mental note of all the posts over the last week and have a laugh to yourself Sunday night.

However if we lose just log out, turn off your computer and pretend like BigFooty never existed.
Even if we win, it doesn't mean a lot in isolation, as we've seen after our wins this year. If we can jag a few in a row, that's when we can start to believe the ship has been righted

I couldn’t help but laugh at the 180 we did between the Essendon game and the Weagles game. Then we back 180 after Richmond. No in betweens

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Even if we win, it doesn't mean a lot in isolation, as we've seen after our wins this year. If we can jag a few in a row, that's when we can start to believe the ship has been righted
I think this place will think we're premiership favourites if we win on Sunday. After WCE we had a really young exciting list that was on the way to the top, a week later we want to delist 3 quarters of the list lol

******* stupid fixturing going from Thursday one week to Sunday night in a state that doesn’t have a public holiday the next day. Feels like the longest week ever.

Hey thats what 'youth' does they go awol sometimes....that doesnt mean you throw the babies out with the bath water. If the boys light up ....well you know they probably are gonna come good again acquiring more consistency...Hind showed enough to persevere!
Just like we have to persevere! (to continue on a course of action even in the face of difficulty or with little or no indication of success withe belief that we will transcend the difficulties.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back