Round 6 wrap

Remove this Banner Ad

Bloodstained Angel

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2000
Sydney, Nsw, Australia
What went right

Alot :D Perhaps the best aspect to come out of yesterday was that Melbourne were switched on and ready to play, yet we beat them fair and square and didn't have to rely on flooding to do so either.

We played man on man and won the key position duels quite decively - good stuff.

Great to see some fanatical tackling and attack on the ball around the packs as well.

Goal kicking was outstanding, only a couple of nasty misses and Dunkley can be forgiven :p

What went wrong

Lapses - it was a close run thing at times yesterday. 5 unanswered Demon goals in the middle of the game still suggest we still like to have a 10-15 minute 'nap' just when we should be on our game. Again in teh last quarter, we didn't finish them off like a ruthless unit is supposed to.

The way ahead

Richmond wll be pumped and ready to fire next Saturady at Colonial. Our record against the Tiges is like our record against the Demons - patchy at best.

If we can nail this Melbourne fixture against a well matched opponent, then we could really get our season set up for a big finish.

As Sunday showed - we can beat anyone if we set our minds and hearts to it. Absolutely no reason at all why we can't go on with it this season. And that starts next Saturady at Colonial.

cheers

I thought Melbourne were flat, particularly at the start of the match. Still, a good solid team performance from the boys.

I thought Ben Fixter's form was encouraging for us and Mott continues to impress. It was rather pleasing to have a functioning forward line too.

Tmajor downside for me was the overly defensive approach in the last quarter. If Melbourne, took their chances early in that quarter, it could have got very close. I would have preferred to see them really try and finish them off. Pretty minor quibble though, given what I was expecting when I turned up.

PS: Peter Vardy is an angry man.. saw him really get stuck into some of his teammates a couple of times.

Maybe the move to the big city has stressed him out a bit!

Went right off a couple of times that I saw.

Should have mentioned too, I was v pleased to see Goodes played at CHB for the whole match. He needs to settle in a position and I think he'll do well there. Promising effort from him, I thought.

Originally posted by BMD
Maybe the move to the big city has stressed him out a bit!

Went right off a couple of times that I saw.

Should have mentioned too, I was v pleased to see Goodes played at CHB for the whole match. He needs to settle in a position and I think he'll do well there. Promising effort from him, I thought.

Totally agree. Someone has to take on a key defensive roll post-dunkley. Schable is the obvious candidate, but I'm not sure if young saddington is key position material.
Next year it may be Goodes CHB, Schauble FB.

Schauble was pretty handy up forward too. I would like to see him there on a big ground to see if he can handle it full time. Gives us the flexibility of a Leppitch type player which we dont have at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back