Preview Round 7, 2020: Adelaide v St.Kilda - Adelaide Oval, Monday 20th July, 7:40PM AEST *BYRNES DEBUT*

Who Wins?

• Crows

Votes: 41 53.9%
  • Saints

Votes: 35 46.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lethlean saying that Hill and Ross are definitely under pressure this week, but mentioned they had runs on the board which suggests they play.

Sounds like they are on notice though.

My prediction would be

Out: Marsh, Kent, Long

In: Ryder, Sinclair, Byrnes
He said they have some credits in the bank.
Was there a funds transfer involved in the Hill trade?

Everyone in the club deserves a spray after last week - no way should the coaches get let off lightly.

36 points up against a team that simply decided to drop numbers back and counter-attack and we don’t adjust our strategy at all and just play into their hands? Sure, blame the players mainly but in no way we should be letting our coaches of the hook either.

We wouldn’t have let Richo off the hook (rightly). Ratts and co. had a pretty awful day in the coaches box against Freo in my opinion.
I feel like it was a combination of both the senior players led by the so called captain and vice captain and the coach . Surely the team has a plan B that can adjust if the opposition plays a different way during the game . It’s up to these players to spread the word to adjust, slow down , move it differently, whatever, but take the f&@king blinkers off and react . Get the players onto to the bench for 5 minutes if that what it takes to get the message out . Surely we must have someone out on the ground that has some awareness Of what is actually going on and take steps to change it .

Yeah, Hill has offered less than most of the guys on the sidelines. He was having fun chatting to his old teammates and didn't take it seriously. Lethlean is too chickenshit to drop Hill because we paid Gucci money for a Bangkok street-market handbag.

I would argue that Hill has been pretty good in our wins so has some credits, but Ross?
Ross has been deplorable all year, misses targets, indecisive, slows the play with ball in hand, does stupid over the handball to nobodies advantage,and gets caught with the ball at least once a game.

To me he has zero credits.

So what does this team stand for?
Do they even know or care about each other and the club?
Are they just collecting pay checks or are they serious about our climb.
Bit of soul searching as individuals and as a team.

We need a bit of a brand to our footy. At the moment we seem to not really have a lot of direction. They need a set of non negotisbles that all have to adhere to or get pushed out. Too many senior players looked like they didn't care when there was everything to play for.

It seemed like half way through the second quarter the air went out of the tyres. Was it the heat and not being acclimatized properly?
It seemed that we were just hassled more by Freo and the game turned into a more scrappy affair which suited Freo. We could not get a free man or possession in the midfield, not a free target inside 50.

We could not take a pack mark but they could. Whenever they kicked down the line they always threatened to mark it we just got bodied out of the way.

No one stood up and said it stops now and who is with me. Lenny did that Rooey did that Seb did not JB did not Gears did not.

The baffling holding the ball decisions made us not go hard at the ball and in the back interpretation also made us tentative to tackle. We did not put our bodies on the line...Freo did.

Early in the game Freo got a goal from a spillage in our goal square after we had 4 up to effect the contest and none did.... thought thats not a good sign.

We are a young side... is an excuse and I hope we learn from these experiences.

Likewise the senior players should have stood up and didn't , the coach should have torn strips off the players at half and 3/4 time alas there was no reaction. But the coach cannot take the field so it is back on the players. The only action a coach can do is drop players or move players into new positions.

Second bad loss in 6 games is enough of a sample to suggest that the coach must act if nothing else but to stop the rot and performances like this are just not acceptable.

If Gears needs a break he can be sacrificed otherwise it's Seb or at a minimum Marsh and or Lonie should be dropped.

Probably Marsh as Freo were undersized and we went tall and still could not take a mark inside 50 after qtr time.

If Bytel and Byrnes are ready they play as we need some enthusiasm and hunger around the ball. Hannas in for leadership otherwise Sinclair.

A message needs to be sent to the playing group from Ratts and Satan that efforts like that will see you not at the club at the end of the year.

We were ruthless at the trade table it must continue with the playing group. There is no time for excuses anymore gentlemen. The players need to feel that they are one season away from delisting and go from earning 300-500k a year doing something they love to making 80k doing something they hate.
The choice is your gents fight or we will replace you with someone who will and you can tell your story and excuses when you are walking out the door.

mmmm wonder what Fyfe would've got...somehow would've been knocked down to 1 week ya just know it
He knocked out Carlisle with a shocking knee… no case to answer, cause he's a star.

Long deserved a couple of weeks, but the fact that they were bringing up junior footy misdemeanors was pretty appalling… he chose to bump and Darcy was just not prepared for it at all, it wasn't a premeditated king hit.

Would have been called an unfortunate accident if Fyfe or Danger laid the same bump… and blame goes to victim instead for incorrect technique.

Big challenge for Ratten is to help Ross get back into form. I don't really buy this 'Ross is rubbish' stuff, he's not an A grade player but he has been a good player for us in the past. At present he is shockingly out of form and it is hurting us. Ratten needs to try to find a way to get him back into games, hopefully starting against Adelaide.

Ditto with Hill. Hill is a good player and should be impacting our games more. We need to find a way to have him do that.

It's on the players as well, but it's up to Ratts to find the right approach. Is it a change of role, the right encouragement, dropping them to the scratch matches? I don't know, that's why we pay him the big bucks.

As for Geary I just want him playing with a really set, simple role. Part of that should be the instruction to get the ball to our skilled players. If he's playing a lockdown back role, it should be against a small forward and he should be getting the ball into the hands of our good users of which there are plenty. He has played a shutdown role on opposition backs well this year, which he can continue to do. Laird this week is an obvious choice. But once we start throwing Geary all over the ground we suffer because he is much better with a clear, simple role to perform.

This team needs an interstate win. A week is a long time in football as they say, if we can get a win this week I think it will go a long way to restoring confidence and faith. This is the perfect opportunity for a good interstate win, however it's also the perfect opportunity for a bad loss because Adelaide will be absolutely frothing to win this game in front of their fans.

Big challenge for Ratten is to help Ross get back into form. I don't really buy this 'Ross is rubbish' stuff, he's not an A grade player but he has been a good player for us in the past. At present he is shockingly out of form and it is hurting us. Ratten needs to try to find a way to get him back into games, hopefully starting against Adelaide.

Ditto with Hill. Hill is a good player and should be impacting our games more. We need to find a way to have him do that.

It's on the players as well, but it's up to Ratts to find the right approach. Is it a change of role, the right encouragement, dropping them to the scratch matches? I don't know, that's why we pay him the big bucks.

As for Geary I just want him playing with a really set, simple role. Part of that should be the instruction to get the ball to our skilled players. If he's playing a lockdown back role, it should be against a small forward and he should be getting the ball into the hands of our good users of which there are plenty. He has played a shutdown role on opposition backs well this year, which he can continue to do. Laird this week is an obvious choice. But once we start throwing Geary all over the ground we suffer because he is much better with a clear, simple role to perform.

This team needs an interstate win. A week is a long time in football as they say, if we can get a win this week I think it will go a long way to restoring confidence and faith. This is the perfect opportunity for a good interstate win, however it's also the perfect opportunity for a bad loss because Adelaide will be absolutely frothing to win this game in front of their fans.
It's a good point, while super frustrating at the moment… When they're going - Ross is a 30 disposal, 5-6 clearance, 5 tackle mid and Hill is an 18 kick, 500 metres gained, 6-7 score involvement elite runner.

We are currently desperate for both of these types to produce their best, how can we extract it?

Well said.
Against Adelaide quoting Dylan Thomas we just simply "cannot go quietly into the good night. A win keeps our season alive.....another loss and question marks will be driven into our already cracking team and club psyche.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m with the “Gresh to the forward line” stance, his kicking efficiency is woeful and our midfield can’t afford to carry another turnover merchant.

Let him display his talents in the forward 50, like the Geelong game. We all know the one.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He almost singlehandedly dragged us across the line against Fremantle. Won a bunch of clearances in the last quarter. I like his midfield work this year, wish a few of our other midfielders would take his lead.

They don't have anyone to feed them. Ross collapsed once we lost Stuv and Dunny types who could get first use from the middle and stoppages. We don't really have anyone who does that 2 step process any more. Gresham and Jones are both more grab and run or boot it long types. Stuv and Dunny were both more likely to flick it out the back to Ross running past who would then bomb it inside 50.

Hanners is playing a bit more inside than at his best at Sydney where he was probably a 50/50 inside outside mid with an incredible ability to spread into space. We probably need someone who can do that but is younger an a pure inside mid who can dish off to our high quality wings. Steele is inside or at least seems to create a contest to spill the ball out more than use it but can spread.

They don't have anyone to feed them. Ross collapsed once we lost Stuv and Dunny types who could get first use from the middle and stoppages. We don't really have anyone who does that 2 step process any more. Gresham and Jones are both more grab and run or boot it long types. Stuv and Dunny were both more likely to flick it out the back to Ross running past who would then bomb it inside 50.

Hanners is playing a bit more inside than at his best at Sydney where he was probably a 50/50 inside outside mid with an incredible ability to spread into space. We probably need someone who can do that but is younger an a pure inside mid who can dish off to our high quality wings. Steele is inside or at least seems to create a contest to spill the ball out more than use it but can spread.
Agree Gringo! But that's just the problem with Ross. When someone does get out it to him ( cause he as sure as sh!t won't crack in and get it himself) he invariably either turns it over or just floats one of those mongrel rain makers it to a 50/50. The ones that need to be fed the ball with more regularity and be impactful are Billings ( who has been ok this year ) and especially Hill who has yet to show us the return and faith we invested in him! We need to move past the likes of Ross. We are going nowhere with a guy like that in the guts and a big part of our non existent leadership group! With Dunnys injury Steele needs to be more consistent as our inside mid. He is certainly capable enough, together with Jones there is no reason they cannot form a formidable inside group!

Think it is time we unearth Byrnes and Bytel and see what they can offer us as mids. And I would also be giving Clark more minutes in the middle he does show promise as an inside/outside potential mid.
A player who can win his own ball and move it along to advantage with vision and creativity. Get Gresham closer to goal more often but still with bursts in the guts!

What’s the story with Gresh ? Has Richo’s coaching taken the excitement out of his game ? When was the last time you saw him attempt to sidestep an opponent? When he began his career he was doing it quite often .

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree Gringo! But that's just the problem with Ross. When someone does get out it to him ( cause he as sure as sh!t won't crack in and get it himself) he invariably either turns it over or just floats one of those mongrel rain makers it to a 50/50. The ones that need to be fed the ball with more regularity and be impactful are Billings ( who has been ok this year ) and especially Hill who has yet to show us the return and faith we invested in him! We need to move past the likes of Ross. We are going nowhere with a guy like that in the guts and a big part of our non existent leadership group! With Dunnys injury Steele needs to be more consistent as our inside mid. He is certainly capable enough, together with Jones there is no reason they cannot form a formidable inside group!

The problem with Steele is he's not a great extractor either. We have a bunch of guys that aren't great at winning first use. Ross used to use the ball okay but is a s**t decision maker under pressure. When we move the ball fast he bypasses his brain.

What’s the story with Gresh ? Has Richo’s coaching taken the excitement out of his game ? When was the last time you saw him attempt to sidestep an opponent? When he began his career he was doing it quite often .

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

His best footy was in the forward line. He's an ordinary mid but an excellent small forward.

Mate you got no idea, how about you watch some games and get back to me what Seb Ross' direct opponent actually does. It's all well and good for him to average 25 when he has very minimal hurt factor. Look at his opponents and see the damage that they do. We have had a below average midfield for the last 6 plus years. He has been a mainstay in that midfield. He has had good games when all the focus has been on Jack Steven. Just look at the proof over the last 2 years. When has an direct opponent sat and tagged Seb Ross?? I'll give you the answer, never. There is a reason for that.

BnF?? everyone in the world thought that Marshall should have won last years best and fairest and how Ross won and even came top 3 is an absolute mystery.

Pull you head in and watch some games and you will see what every half knowledgeable person can see when it comes to Seb Ross.
Mate, I do watch every game and he’s not half as bad as what you and others on here seem to think. Yes he’s in a bit of a form slump. But you clearly have a very short memory

Mate, I do watch every game and he’s not half as bad as what you and others on here seem to think. Yes he’s in a bit of a form slump. But you clearly have a very short memory
You need to watch more closely. 0 coaches votes in 6 games thus far this season tells it all really for supposedly a ball winning midfielder and a leader of the club.

Playing a good game 12 months ago doesn’t mean anything when you’ve played poorly in the last 6 games.
There’s only so long you can coast on reputation alone, and it’s been so long since Seb has shown any consistency it is time to stop giving him a free pass to the senior squad.
Not only that, but he’s the vice captain. He should be holding himself to a higher standard again, yet he’s one of the few on the team that will literally stop running once he’s beaten in a contest. No second efforts at all and that is inexcusable.

It’s got to be on everyone including the coaches. To argue otherwise is letting one group off the hook. Freo changed how they played after quarter time according to those who have more information than a tv screen. We didn’t have the ability to counter act it. That is again on both If that sort thing happens once you could forgive it but twice in 6 games says it’s a problem on both sides.
Disagree, the players should have the capability to see out a six goal lead in shortened quarters. It's all on the players, they need to wake up.

Maybe Ratts instead of being Mr. nice guy should have done a Barassi at 3/4 time. (for those that don’t know what a Barassi is google him, he was a champion player & coach from the early50’s through to the late 90’s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back