Preview Round 7, 2020: Adelaide v St.Kilda - Adelaide Oval, Monday 20th July, 7:40PM AEST *BYRNES DEBUT*

Who Wins?

• Crows

Votes: 41 53.9%
  • Saints

Votes: 35 46.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My memory may be failing, I thought Seb was struggling to be fit for rnd 2. Is it possible he is playing injured and the greater injuries to Hanners, Geary and Jones have meant he has had to play?

No such thing as "has to play" as long as there's 22 fit players... so I hope not

As much as I would like to see a line in the sand with the likes of Ross or Hill.
Think we are more likely to see:
OUT: Paton, Marsh, Long
IN: Webster, Byrnes, Ryder

If I had my way I would be adding Hill for Sinclair but don't see it happening this week at least.
Hope its not the case with the protecting of those 2 but i also think they will stay. And what a game for it, give them a let off against a side that would struggle against 1st year GC and end up in the team against PA regardless.

Should just drop them, dont care if they lie and put "(soreness)" next to their names, or atleast 1 of them.

So obviously you don‘t want to be president of the.....

View attachment 911684

hehehe

i hope i'm not coming across to harsh on him.

i wasn't a fan of his prior to our interest, but i understood why we went after him. questioned how much we paid and it considered it to be overs both pay and trade.

i was however stoked with his pre-season form and through games this season.

but geeze ya can't forgive the weekends game. we need more than that. he really has to lift for the coin he is on. ratten is gonna have some work to do there.

Seb Ross laid 1 tackle against the Dockers. That wouldn’t be too bad if he was getting a lot of the ball like Steele and Jones , but he had 12 possessions. Steele and Jones laid 6 between them. If Seb is too slow to lay many tackles , he becomes a liability during opposition run-ons. I think Seb needs to be dropped until he gets over his form malaise , and while he is there , he can work on not giving away so many free kicks as well. 4 more vs Freo. He has played well in the past , but currently his career is in grave danger.

based on the limited footage of him walking off the ground, he looked like someone who knew he's seriously in strife.

his body language reminds me of the ODI captain finch during his batting form slump that eventually came good. now he was never dropped, but he was seriously worrying about his position in the side to the point he approached the coach and offered up his spot.

ross's top end is easy to forget. if you go back a couple of seasons he played some very good football. but you know what so did dunstan in his very first year.

hanners and ross play a very similar position and role. trying to justify the presence of both in the side right now is very hard to do.

going back to finch, it took the coach to turn down his offer and then to spend extra time with him at training to get the guys form back. i suspect this is where the coaches will be with ross. they will know what he is capable of and will be working to try and turn that around ASAP.

having said that tbh it wouldn't surprise me if ratts, lethers and the banker, just call time on it, like they did with Bruce and Newnes. or like previous coaches and list managers did on players like stanley.

there comes a point where you have to cash in your chips on them if you think you've hit the upper bound on their trajectory and it's inherently flawed.

if we get crouch for nothing, do we really need to keep Ross? or is he someone we can get some trade or draft currency with whilst also freeing up salary cap?

having said all that, if we think ross is in trouble, then luke dunstan is utterly cooked.

Doesn’t get more embarrassing. What would’ve only been completely incidental contact and you’ve shirked it. I just knew Tab would slot that goal too

its so hard to watch. it just beggars belief.

this is a guy on what is it 700-900k a season! someone who's meant to be going into our games as our best midfielder. someone who's arrived at his new club and should be trying to impress everyone.

he comes up against his old club. spot light is on and you get that. when you need people to lead and stand up.

to see him do that, when we've had much smaller players take bigger hits, its just embarrassing.

No such thing as "has to play" as long as there's 22 fit players... so I hope not
In a perfect world you're right, just my experience playing sport, rarely is anyone 100% and as a senior player or in leadership position they have a greater burden or obligation to play as best they can.
There are plenty every week who can and do play injured, some better than others. Carlisle played most of last year with busted ribs, Hill has a bung ankle. No one "has to play", but the more you get paid, the more pressure there is.

In a perfect world you're right, just my experience playing sport, rarely is anyone 100% and as a senior player or in leadership position they have a greater burden or obligation to play as best they can.
There are plenty every week who can and do play injured, some better than others. Carlisle played most of last year with busted ribs, Hill has a bung ankle. No one "has to play", but the more you get paid, the more pressure there is.

Yeah, not ideal huh. He's not offering the team much if he's injured anyway, not really a "critical" player at the moment... so I'd be happy for a fresh and in form mid to come in for him.

It's not ideal having to wait so long to try and redeem ourselves but we had to wait over 2 months to redeem ourselves for the North choke so 9 days isn't so bad.

I agree with dropping Ross, I've never rated him, but it's harsh on Geary, he was one of our best against Carlton kicking 2 goals and curbing Docherty's influence and we still need his leadership and ability to shut down dangerous players, especially with Long likely rubbed out for a few weeks.
please dont mention leadership and Geary in the same sentence

I'm glad people are seeing what I've been seeing with Ross for the last 2 years. Even when he has a half decent game (few and far between) you just need to look at what his direct opponent is doing. He may average 25 touches last few years, but his direct opponent would have atleast the same amount but with more hurt factor.

Missed the 1st half of the game and only watched the 2nd which was enough.

Need to go

- Marsh been saying this since the Collingwood game, but are way too tall and need a runner. If Ratts wants to play like that, then Ryder is more effective to at least ruck.

- Ross for the above mentioned

- Geary the backline has passed him by. His new position should be to tag the teams best running back (Laird) or he is out of the side. The backline has been looking decent last 3 or so week's with the right size and set up

- Long suspended

- Lonie has not fired a shot last 2 games. Plays 1 good game every 6 and now with Butler as the genuine smalls needs to go

Outs
Ross, Long, Marsh, Lonie

Ins
Webster, Sinclair, Byrnes/Bytel, Ryder/Parker

Players that need to pull their finger out massively are Marshall (been towelled up most week's bar against the dogs and maybe blues) and Hill who can't get the balk more than 12 times to save himself

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hehehe

i hope i'm not coming across to harsh on him.

i wasn't a fan of his prior to our interest, but i understood why we went after him. questioned how much we paid and it considered it to be overs both pay and trade.

i was however stoked with his pre-season form and through games this season.

but geeze ya can't forgive the weekends game. we need more than that. he really has to lift for the coin he is on. ratten is gonna have some work to do there.

Admittedly he is normally a beautiful kick when he gets the ball, although have seen him make a couple of silly little short kick blunders. For some reason he doesn’t seem to like putting pressure on oppo players, even when the appear to be less than 3mt away hence the running around like headless chook. Whether because he is on big coin he thinks he is the tall poppy (figjam) or not but if so, think the selectors will have to nip it in the bud by dropping him

if you want a real kick in the teeth. dunstan signed a two year deal at the end of 2019. both ross and dunstan come out of contract at the end of 2021

Would legit play Dunstan ahead of Ross at this point. At least he aims to hurt some people and works his arse off defensively.

If we are gonna try to release Steele to attack more then playing Dunstan as that defensive inside mid could be an option. I'd back him in against most of the comp when it comes to winning the hard ball. Just tell him to handball as a first option.

Would legit play Dunstan ahead of Ross at this point. At least he aims to hurt some people and works his arse off defensively.

If we are gonna try to release Steele to attack more then playing Dunstan as that defensive inside mid could be an option. I'd back him in against most of the comp when it comes to winning the hard ball. Just tell him to handball as a first option.
Just a shame Dunstan is out for 3 months which just about equates to the season, might be slow but does work hard.

Still so pissed off by that gutless capitulation, that I can't even get enthused about this game or the rest of the season, for that matter.
I haven't been as down from a loss since the 2010 replay.

The lack of heart and will shows the players are pampered prima donna's who don't know the first thing about what it takes to be a finals team let alone a flag winner.
I won't do it, because well I'm a fool, but it crossed my mind to ask for a refund for this years membership.
Heartily sick of this football clubs loser attitude.
Was at the game-right at the the end a big guy stood up and yelled "what the f.... was that St Kilda?"we all turned around as we were walking out, and it summed up my 50 years of support perfectly.

2.47 mark

miss kick, sees mundy coming and shits himself
The only thing more shocking than the squib was the fact that they could find SEVEN MINUTES of highlights from the match… I want to be reprogrammed so those 3 hours are completely erased from my system. Would rather see us get belted from the first bounce than slowly have my teeth pulled out as we give up a six goal lead.

based on the limited footage of him walking off the ground, he looked like someone who knew he's seriously in strife.

his body language reminds me of the ODI captain finch during his batting form slump that eventually came good. now he was never dropped, but he was seriously worrying about his position in the side to the point he approached the coach and offered up his spot.

ross's top end is easy to forget. if you go back a couple of seasons he played some very good football. but you know what so did dunstan in his very first year.

hanners and ross play a very similar position and role. trying to justify the presence of both in the side right now is very hard to do.

going back to finch, it took the coach to turn down his offer and then to spend extra time with him at training to get the guys form back. i suspect this is where the coaches will be with ross. they will know what he is capable of and will be working to try and turn that around ASAP.

having said that tbh it wouldn't surprise me if ratts, lethers and the banker, just call time on it, like they did with Bruce and Newnes. or like previous coaches and list managers did on players like stanley.

there comes a point where you have to cash in your chips on them if you think you've hit the upper bound on their trajectory and it's inherently flawed.

if we get crouch for nothing, do we really need to keep Ross? or is he someone we can get some trade or draft currency with whilst also freeing up salary cap?

having said all that, if we think ross is in trouble, then luke dunstan is utterly cooked.

We probably keep a few for depth but that generation looks like we've moved past them. Even the filler players look better. What a waste of 10 years. Membrey, Billings and Carlisle the only decent ones. Gresham worth persisting with. Sinclair, Savage, Brown, Webster, Roberton, Lonie etc probably all get moved on in the next few years.

The only thing more shocking than the squib was the fact that they could find SEVEN MINUTES of highlights from the match… I want to be reprogrammed so those 3 hours are completely erased from my system. Would rather see us get belted from the first bounce than slowly have my teeth pulled out as we give up a six goal lead.

The Bleedout. It seemed to be inevitable from about 5 minutes into the second quarter. We just lay down and even a lethargic and disinterested Freo seemed to just shunt us out of the way like a glacier grinding it's way across a continent.

If a team can't deal with adversity they don't deserve to be in the finals. Pretty simple.
Thank you for the rebuke and sagely advise. You are clearly a master of wisdom and words I clearly deserve to have such a lesson from someone with such a clever intellect. It’s that simple as is your post.
Can you please post more on noddy and big ears go to the footy oh simple one.

I don't understand why everyone is so quick to drop Lonie. He plays as our second small forward. He provides good link up and ballance to the forward line. He also put his body on the line far more then many others even when we are getting smashed to bring the ball down. I just can't fathom How Lonie can be dropped ahead of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back