Autopsy Round 7, 2022: Hawks fail against Dees

Remove this Banner Ad

Great effort by the Hawks. Very proud effort by a developing team.

Goalkicking is everything.

Breust, Gunston & Wingard: 10 shots on goal... 2 goals and 8 behinds. They won't be that inaccurate again.
Problem is that Gunston is such a shaky kick for goal these days, not just this game.

Don't know what has gone wrong, he used to be a beautiful set shot but these days he has the equivalent of the putting tips in front of the big sticks 😔

Bruest and Wingard generally fairly reliable though.

Great effort and plenty to be excited about. Melbourne are far from the unstoppable force they are being made out to be. They have a loss coming soon.

We had our chances but poor finishing cost us. How often have Gunston and Bruest kicked 1.6 between them?

Loved the work of Dimma and Finn. Both smashed their opponents. Kosi did very well against May and Moore was great in the midfield. Worpel’s best game in a while and Jaeger’s too. Impey was good and Scrim is a bonafide star.

Onwards and upwards.

I hate losing at any point but if you squint your eyes this loss kind've feels like a win. We had wins all over the park and the reality is that we need more games into the young-ins.

✅ Finn Maginness – Super job on Langdon
✅ Conor Nash – awesome job on Oliver
✅ Dylan Moore
✅ James Sicily

Add Lewis, Jiath, Morrison, Ward, Grainger-Barras, Reeves and the mystery player taken with the 2022 first round pick will all greatly improve the team. Plus Serong, Long, Mitchell and Butler in the reserves who will all get their turn very soon. There’s plenty of scope for improvement.

Really good effort , wrapt we finished off strong too after last week . Good signs .

Just lacked the clean finishing which probably cost being even closer .

Hopefully we get stronger next week with some good ins ( yes Dwayne we had ayers out too you goose )and win those winnable games coming up.

Dylan Moore what a star . Thought Finn,Jom and Nash all played good stopping games for us.

Plenty to work on but we should be excited about what this team could be .

Not at all unhappy with that. Against clearly the best team in the league.

Yeah yeah, Melbourne’s outs, blah blah blah. Our outs were damn nearly as bad.

One of my (highly unexpected) favourite things to do this season is to check Moore’s stats at the end of the game. This week: 33 disposals, 11 marks, one goal. Astonishing.

Sis another 13 marks.

I’m going to keep saying it, when they’re both fit, we need to get Lewis and Kosi together as a ‘twin towers’ forward setup. With Gunner as the third tall, and Breuster, Moore and the Chad at their feet, that will be a forward line that will kick winning scores for the next 5-10 years.

I also keep saying, we’re on a long and sometimes painful journey, and today was another big step forward.

Nah. Reckon Mel were in cruise control. Like what we used to do to teams. Umpiring frustrating but don't feel like it made a difference.
How often did we get pushed to 10 point wins against bottom 8 sides?

Great effort by the team. Never gave up. Goal kicking practice at training this week please 😂

Moore was terrific. Tireless worker. So was Finn given his defensive role on Langdon. We have to persist with him. He needs exposure at this level to improve.

We missed that extra key defender and another ruck option. Got exposed in both positions multiple times.

Callow tried hard but looked like it took a while to pick up the speed. Tough ask to ruck. Struggled a few times with the ball on the ground. Not going to judge him on that performance as he had a tough role and it is a tough defence to play against.

Well done Worpel. Great return to form. Disposal was diabolical at times but all the effort and attacking desire was there. Build on it for next week.

Scrimshaw also excellent in defence. Hardwick lifted in the second half too. We missed CJ’s run. Hope that impey and bramble can build match fitness quickly as we would potentially be lethal coming out of defence with those two, cj and day all firing. Lots to look forward to for next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Problem is that Gunston is such a shaky kick for goal these days, not just this game.

Don't know what has gone wrong, he used to be a beautiful set shot but these days he has the equivalent of the putting tips in front of the big sticks 😔

Bruest and Wingard generally fairly reliable though.

Bruest only missed 1 easy one (and it was piss easy for sure). The other two were pretty tough.

Koschitzke has kicked 7 goals in the last two games from just 16 disposals. Great effort. He’ll only get better with more games under his belt.
I was going to make the sane point, his goals to possessions is insane...I think it's actually 6 from 14.

Last year his set shots were a concern which he seems to have fixed up.

Him and Lewis to restore their partnership. I like us playing just the one ruck.

A lot to enjoy in this game, Day and Bramble both look like they need games to get sharpness back so some upside there you would think.

Sent from my SM-A326B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Plenty to like.

But the one thing I love the most is Dylan Moore: All Australian.

I thought Moore, Worpel, Scrimshaw and Kozi were our best on. Good games from Sicily, O'Meara and Maginness. We butchered some golden opportunities that could have stolen the game from them and also had some horrendous turnovers. Importantly, we didn't fold after the game was getting away from us in the third. That's genuine improvement. We still need to find a way to not let it happen to begin with.

Always sucks to cop an L but we should all be pretty happy with the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back