Autopsy Round 7, 2024: Port Adelaide v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with most said, but how you can defend Stocker & blame others is beyond me. The guy dropped two sitters & looked uncomposed. And I'll say it again, is too slow to play on oppo small forwards. Battle, Nas, Sincs, Wilkie our consistently good backman, need to find two players to go with them. Bonner & Stocker aren't composed enough & keep hurting us.
Because others will understand that he's having to do extra to fill holes created by injuries and deficiencies elswhere. When allowed to play to his strengths he's valuable and reliable.
You don't like him already so you only see the negatives. I don't like Bonner or Howard but l recognise my own bias and refrain from trying to persuade others as it's a pointless pursuit.
Whilst alternatives to Stocker remain injured or suspended, what's the point in even discussing it. The team is the team atm because there's literally no one else.

Because others will understand that he's having to do extra to fill holes created by injuries and deficiencies elswhere. When allowed to play to his strengths he's valuable and reliable.
You don't like him already so you only see the negatives. I don't like Bonner or Howard but l recognise my own bias and refrain from trying to persuade others as it's a pointless pursuit.
Whilst alternatives to Stocker remain injured or suspended, what's the point in even discussing it. The team is the team atm because there's literally no one else.
Trying to persuade others?

Is why I hate Membrey as our FF, as he's a stop and prop forward hence dump kicks on his head as a norm that translates to dump kicks for all. There's a lot to be said about we need mids, but we also need those we can kick to and until someone like Keeler comes on to be that CHF bridge, we're kind of stuck with;

Membrey - stop and prop.
Sharman - waft in from the side.
Ming - get 3x teamed as the only competent KPF that can contest.
Higgins - tries to play 4 players games and only succeeds at maybe 2.
Owens - can mark, can barely kick a set shot.
Butler - is there to "guard space" and keep the ball I50.

None of that instills confidence in the mids to propel forward, then we go "we suck at rewarding I50, but we get it in there enough, if we just..." nope. It's why Hayes makes it look more dynamic as he moves and presents, it's why we hit up Higgins when on a bloke 3x his height as they hit up at the carrier instead of plant the thumb and yell.

So we need to get away from essentially carrying a Sharman sub and having Membrey at the same time to have a more dynamic forward half where we just aren't dump kicking to only two blokes that lead up at the carrier or we're not really firing a shot to win games for mine.

Stood JHF at stoppage from the start did Stock, played a bit like Gears & DMac game where in mid, hard push back and support small forwards that Paton kind of failed at before he broke his leg and why we then went and got Hastie. Stock is least of problems with inconsistency, those around him need to step up a bit as he's straight sacrificing and getting let down mostly.

first ball up of the game.
The gap in class between JHF and Stocker evident and costly.
Ball comes down and the pair contests. JHF twists and shimmies. Ump blows whistle. Stock has given away a free. Too high. It was ominous. But I was thinking of Paton last night as I pondered the Stocker thing, and, as I said, I liked his second and third efforts. Not hanging head, just like a dog, raring to go and have another crack. It’s hard yo dislike the Stock. But..no match for JHF. (And so who else have we got?) alas

RTB is currently trialing and developing midfielders, given the injuries and the need to iincrease the number of players suitable for the midfield. To achieve RTB's need he is using Steele, Ross and Windharger in defensive roles at centre bounces and stoppages to negate the opposition main midfielders. The downside is the development doesn't come together overnight, and unfortunately it reduces the effectiveness of the above midfielders who are concentrating on their opponents rather than playing with freedom and attacking the ball instinctively.

I think our midfielders have performed Ok without standout possessions weekly, the exception being against Western Bulldogs when a number of players were used in the midfield including Jones back from injury and Garcia in his second game.

Our midfielders are easy targets for some supporters, however the number of turnovers in defence and attack increases the pressure on our midfielders to cover opposition players on the rebound. It's not a role that midfielders from any club enjoys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RTB is currently trialing and developing midfielders, given the injuries and the need to iincrease the number of players suitable for the midfield. To achieve RTB's need he is using Steele, Ross and Windharger in defensive roles at centre bounces and stoppages to negate the opposition main midfielders. The downside is the development doesn't come together overnight, and unfortunately it reduces the effectiveness of the above midfielders who are concentrating on their opponents rather than playing with freedom and attacking the ball instinctively.

I think our midfielders have performed Ok without standout possessions weekly, the exception being against Western Bulldogs when a number of players were used in the midfield including Jones back from injury and Garcia in his second game.

Our midfielders are easy targets for some supporters, however the number of turnovers in defence and attack increases the pressure on our midfielders to cover opposition players on the rebound. It's not a role that midfielders from any club enjoys.
The biggest disappointment of the year so far for me has being Owens.

Makes no sense whatsoever for Ross not to be trying him in the middle, unless he is injured which he doesn't appear to be.

Really bizarre coaching.

The editor Tim Miller is spot on......

Hard to argue with any if this.

I am still confident Ross is the right man for now, as the kids just need to get standards are years of being soft.

That being said, all this talk of Ross being some tactical genius or game day magician is utter nonsense.

His game plan is basic AF, and he has never had a plan B. Game has evolved beyond his simplistic mega flood.

Sobering reading 😔
I think it’s rubbish
Pretty much light weight fluff
Anybody could write it
Based off cliches

We just got spanked by 60 last week
Ross did the best he could do - damage limitation.
He was so successful at it he gets questioned for not ‘having a go at winning the thing’?
We know luck helped.
PA couldn’t kick, and they lost two key playmakers midgame
Sure, tactically you can question certain players in certain positions

We made a few risky ‘into the corridor’ moves in the first half yesterday and they failed or misfired.

Hubnester StFly any response to this?
I have asked a couple of times.
I am too busy watching the final quarter to post, so like to go back and read them afterwards.

Shouldn’t be a problem to keep it open till the end of the night or for another day, should it?
Think others agree.

We can give it a go, might get a bit messy with two threads to maintain after a game but can't hurt to try. We could also consider rolling over the last page or two from gameday to the autopsy thread but that might get a bit messy.

In the meantime don't forget the +Quote feature, you can go through and tick the posts you want to reply to from the one thread, and then add them all along your replies in the Autopsy thread - can be quite handy.

Cheers

I think it’s rubbish
Pretty much light weight fluff
Anybody could write it
Based off cliches

We just got spanked by 60 last week
Ross did the best he could do - damage limitation.
He was so successful at it he gets questioned for not ‘having a go at winning the thing’?
We know luck helped.
PA couldn’t kick, and they lost two key playmakers midgame
Sure, tactically you can question certain players in certain positions

We made a few risky ‘into the corridor’ moves in the first half yesterday and they failed or misfired.
This is the type of thinking that has "won" us 27 wooden spoons I'm afraid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back