Autopsy Round 7, 2024: Port Adelaide v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I tend to agree.
Speedy and energetic, but as a user of the ball?
Here is my question to the panel.
'Is Ronnie Byrnes a good decision maker?'

I am sure likes the Speed, and the 'goer' element.
The execution I think he can overlook.

But the decision making?

Some skilled players make what seem like poor decisions when they are trying to follow a team directive. They are pushing the envelope, and taking risks that will hurt them. (Brad Hill could have safely passed up the line on the weekend, but kicked straight into devil's gob by hoping for a 30% 1-3 to work out on the weekend. Other players, with less skill, Ross maybe? will play percentages)

I honestly thought Byrnes would be gone, gone before even Bytel and Ben Long, but here he is! Go Ronnie. (I don't know how those other two are going at their respective clubs, but I suspect reserves.)

I think Byrnes has been much better with disposal this season. That Port game seemed to bring our skills down. We fumbled, dropped marks, turned over by foot and missed tackles. He seemed to miss a few crucial kicks but so did Stocker and several others. Sometimes you have a bad night. I'm letting him prove himself again. He's actually one of our best inside 50 kicks even when his disposal was abysmal.

Bytel is still racking them up in the VFL but he looks pretty much a GOP at this point. Long is pretty good in the VFL but once he made it into the seniors he had a 4 disposal 2 behind game as a small forward and lost his place in the side.

How do you know what type of players Ross loves , its a bit of a myth on here that everyone knows what Ross likes IMO
I don't think he has too many options ATM , lets see when we have players available if Ross loves the Byrnes type as much as some think

2 sides he coached both had guys like CJ, Matt de Boer, Crowley, Lee Spur types of hard working GOPs.He'd take a guy with work rate over skill every time.

View attachment 1974407
Gday Saints fans.

good content today

Pou cooked
Trade Ro

3hMyuo1.gif

That reason was because Howard had been out for 7 weeks injured without playing a game while the backline had been in good form. And by that same token, there was a reason why Howard was the preferred as the full back until he got injured and throughout the pre season. Cordy has been solid to start the season but he is also prone to mistakes and bad decisions, he just doesn't get judged as harshly by supporters when he has them.

Was there a deterioration last year? He had a bad game here or there (same said for all our defenders) but his numbers were up on previous years, he wasn't having bags kicked on him and our defence as a whole was functioning fantastically so it's not as if was negatively impacting his fellow defenders performance.
Cordy more likely to have a bag kicked on him than Doogs as well.

I think Byrnes has been much better with disposal this season. That Port game seemed to bring our skills down. We fumbled, dropped marks, turned over by foot and missed tackles. He seemed to miss a few crucial kicks but so did Stocker and several others. Sometimes you have a bad night. I'm letting him prove himself again. He's actually one of our best inside 50 kicks even when his disposal was abysmal.

Bytel is still racking them up in the VFL but he looks pretty much a GOP at this point. Long is pretty good in the VFL but once he made it into the seniors he had a 4 disposal 2 behind game as a small forward and lost his place in the side.

GOP?

Anyone else read the article on the AFL site about our pressure rating the last 2 weeks?

The differentials in both individual games and cumulatively were some of the worst recorded since they started recording that stat in 2010.

Not good for a side who is meant to have that as a calling card.

Anyone else read the article on the AFL site about our pressure rating the last 2 weeks?

The differentials in both individual games and cumulatively were some of the worst recorded since they started recording that stat in 2010.

Not good for a side who is meant to have that as a calling card.
Likely not helped by no pressure players up forward. We are already playing a tall lineup and then out without Butler, we have no smalls who tackle and chase first.

There is a common theme in the ones you spoke about , Howard, Stocker, Bonner and Cordy are all cast offs and yes we did trade for Howard as port well and truly stitched us up by making him Captain for a week to bolster his trade value and what do we do ,,,,,, Fecking fall fall it.
How about we stop bringing in cast offs and think we are going to make them better.
We definitely got stiched up by Port (several times) but Cordy, Bonner and Stocker were all free hits and the fact they've played every game so far proves them to be good decisions irrespective of anyone's preference.
Trading Doogs and delisting Bonner would also be good decisions if we can find a KPD replacement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We definitely got stiched up by Port (several times) but Cordy, Bonner and Stocker were all free hits and the fact they've played every game so far proves them to be good decisions irrespective of anyone's preference.
Trading Doogs and delisting Bonner would also be good decisions if we can find a KPD replacement.

Bonner is an odd one. He is absolutely a great pickup if things worked out as planned - i.e. decent depth and a bit of a break-glass-in-case-of-emergency player; ideally playing a few games a year and ensuring there is selection integrity and pressure on the first picked players to not coast.

It's hard not to be super frustrated with him (see for example his decision to kickout to a packed contest near the boundary with ~2 mins to go when we could still win it) but I guess he was never intended for the purpose he's forced to serve now.

Bonner is an odd one. He is absolutely a great pickup if things worked out as planned - i.e. decent depth and a bit of a break-glass-in-case-of-emergency player; ideally playing a few games a year and ensuring there is selection integrity and pressure on the first picked players to not coast.

It's hard not to be super frustrated with him (see for example his decision to kickout to a packed contest near the boundary with ~2 mins to go when we could still win it) but I guess he was never intended for the purpose he's forced to serve now.
Exactly. I can't stand him, but l hold no grudge.
With Webster and Wood back he will be gone soon and I'd rather see Hastie from now on anyway.

I respectfully disagree with you re: Byrnes. He’s in the side due to injuries, but unfortunately he is a liability.

IMG_0555.jpeg

IMG_0557.jpeg

Byrnes .... meh

He is the poster boy for No Man's land

OK game ... nothing game .... good game... OK game .... nothing game ......

Unless he can step into the mid field and start dominating I am not sure why he is on the list .... not tall enough for a wingman ... can't take a contested mark ... average disposal ..... average decision maker .... low contested ball winner .... is not a tackle beast .... can run a bit but doesn't get a lot of it .... limited x factor ..... in fact zero x factor

He is your classic pick 52 average player with no stand out qualities except being a good clubman

He is only 23 so maybe he could improve ... but I just don't see it

Byrnes .... meh

He is the poster boy for No Man's land

OK game ... nothing game .... good game... OK game .... nothing game ......

Unless he can step into the mid field and start dominating I am not sure why he is on the list .... not tall enough for a wingman ... can't take a contested mark ... average disposal ..... average decision maker .... low contested ball winner .... is not a tackle beast .... can run a bit but doesn't get a lot of it .... limited x factor ..... in fact zero x factor

He is your classic pick 52 average player with no stand out qualities except being a good clubman

He is only 23 so maybe he could improve ... but I just don't see it

Yeah all the clubs only have midfielders who dominate :rolleyes:

Byrnes is worth persisting with.

He's been slowly improving and at his current rate by the time he's 27 I would say he's a pretty good player.

Will never be more than that but that's ok.

We've had so many that never knew what a Sherrin looked like up close, but we focus on the ones who get regular games due to injury.
The ones to de-list are generally not the ones you see playing poorly for the Saints.
They are the ones people never heard of playing poorly for the Zebras.

We've had so many that never knew what a Sherrin looked like up close, but we focus on the ones who get regular games due to injury.
The ones to de-list are generally not the ones you see playing poorly for the Saints.
They are the ones people never heard of playing poorly for the Zebras.

Especially when Byrnes is only 23, and reportedly a natural leader.

No one is saying he's a champ but he's great depth and could possibly become more than that.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back