Preview Round 7 Vs Gold Coast @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winnable game this week! Not often I get to say that.

Melbourne
Round 1: Port Adelaide 19.19 (133) defeated Melbourne 8.6 (54)
Round 2: Essendon 28.16 (184) defeated Melbourne 5.6 (36)
Round 3: West Coast 27.15 (177) defeated Melbourne 13.5 (83)
Round 4: Melbourne 22.12 (144) defeated Greater Western Sydney 15.13 (103)
Round 5: Brisbane 17.20 (122) defeated Melbourne 14.10 (94)
Round 6: Carlton 18.13 (121) defeated Melbourne 8.12 (60)

Well we were pretty shocking in the first quarter but after that we weren't exactly horrible, as we matched it with Carlton for the next two quarters. Our second quarter in particular was excellent, however there is still a bit of work to do before we put in a competitive four quarter effort against a good team. The bitter blow here is losing Jack Grimes with a nasty collarbone injury that will keep him out for a while.

Players To Watch
Jack Trengove: I mentioned him last week but if he's under pressure last week well it's just increased twentyfold this week. Now that Grimes is gone Trengove has to shoulder the load on his own, and for a lad his age that might be a bit too hard to fathom. Trengove only had six disposals last week and absolutely needs to perform this week.

Chris Dawes: Finally, his first game looks all set to be this weekend. Again, I mentioned him last week, but it should be 100% official that he comes in this week. And with no Warnock for the Suns Dawes might be able to have a solid debut in the red and the blue. Three-four goals would be a great result for Dawesy.

Luke Tapscott: Fantastic last weekend with his aggresion, particularly in the second quarter. In fact, I thought he was the bloke that really set the tone in that quarter and he was willing to throw his body around. And thank goodness that match report was thrown out - silly report to be honest though let's not go criticising the umpires.

Gold Coast
Round 1: Gold Coast 13.12 (90) defeated St Kilda 10.17 (77)
Round 2: Sydney 17.12 (114) defeated Gold Coast 11.7 (73)
Round 3: Brisbane 13.16 (94) defeated Gold Coast 13.14 (92)
Round 4: Port Adelaide 16.8 (104) defeated Gold Coast 9.12 (66)
Round 5: Gold Coast 21.22 (148) defeated Greater Western Sydney 16.8 (104)
Round 6: Fremantle 15.9 (99) defeated Gold Coast 7.12 (54)

Let's face it, Gold Coast are a better team than last year when they only won three games, and should really be on three wins now but for a failed last ditch effort against the Lions. There is still a little bit of reliance on Gary Ablett but far less than last season. Profiles of those players are below.

Players To Watch
Gary Ablett: It goes without saying really. One of the very best players the game has seen, still damaging when he is rather subdued. Last year we put Cale Morton on him and this time, we'll have to employ Dunny who was sensational last week on Juddy.

Harley Bennell: Absolutely tore us to shreds last year, with 38 disposals and four goals and we cannot afford to let him off the leash again. Bennell is an absolute superstar whom I believe is probably the best of the 2010 draftees. I personally think he is a year off being a top 10 player in the competition. Needs to be stopped.

Charlie Dixon: Was subbed out last week with an ankle injury but Gold Coast are confident he will pull up in time for the game. Dixon showed his wares against GWS, kicking six goals, and has been a revelation thus far. One of Tom McDonald or James Frawley faces a huge job on Sunday.

Prediction
We cannot afford to lose this game. We average a solid winning margin of six goals at the G in our two meetings at the ground and another fast start, such as the six goal to nil start we enjoyed last year, will help us greatly again. We also cannot allow the Suns to dictate the game for too long like we did with the Giants. A win would improve our self-confidence greatly ahead of a very tough month ahead.

We will smash them. GC suffer the same problem as GWS, they run out of legs completly by the 4th quarter.
Expect a GWS repeat, maybe losing at the last break, but a huge, huge last quarter. 40+ point win to Demons

I will be there! Flying out of Beijing tonight! Can't frigging wait! Miss my missus, my mates, my cats, my beer!!

I will be there, plus my mates...

Tried asking a girl I really really like from uni to go to the footy but she said she had to work :(
the mistake was asking her to go to a Melbourne game ;)

Looking at our previous games, every loss we have let up 120 points, even in our win against GWS they scored over 100 points. we are letting teams score to easy. Gold Coast have got a lot of young skilled players that play well on the spread, if we give them too much space they will run over us. i hope our focus at training this week is to pressure the ball and ball carrier, not to give them too much room, if we can do that we will give ourselves every chance of winning.

Looking at our previous games, every loss we have let up 120 points, even in our win against GWS they scored over 100 points. we are letting teams score to easy. Gold Coast have got a lot of young skilled players that play well on the spread, if we give them too much space they will run over us. i hope our focus at training this week is to pressure the ball and ball carrier, not to give them too much room, if we can do that we will give ourselves every chance of winning.

Yeah gotta keep it congested. Ugly footy FTW.

We'll win it. Suns aren't flash and the players will see this as a huge chance for a win.
I feel that door swings two ways; we aren't flash and the GC lads would view this as a winnable game.
However I am kinda confident about this one. If Dawes can come in a play alright we will have a more functional forward line than we've had for a while. Maybe give Fitz a chance and lose Spencer too? I feel this is a game we can win, not 100% we will, but given we've showed a bit of fight in the past few games, and GC will struggle to play a full 4 qtrs away from home we should get up in a close one; 20-30pt margin I'd say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm cautiously confident.

But then again I was against Port and Brisbane, too.

IMO GC are ahead of the Lions.

I think GC have shown more than the lions this year, so I'd almost have to agree. But I'd also like to apply some good old fashioned big footy logic if I may; We lost to the lions, and if GC are better than the lions, then we will lose to GC, BUT we beat GWS by more than Essendon did, therefore MFC for premiers.

We will smash them. GC suffer the same problem as GWS, they run out of legs completly by the 4th quarter.
Expect a GWS repeat, maybe losing at the last break, but a huge, huge last quarter. 40+ point win to Demons

Interesting observation seeing as the SUNS have won 4 out of 6 final quarters this year (22 points, 13 points, 18 points and 26 points) and our two that we have lost to Sydney and Freo respictively were 19 and 17 points.

If comparing that to Melbournes final quarters (15, 47, 22 and 18 point losses and one final quarter with Brisbane you tied) and one final quarter won v GWS by a massive 60 points.

I think we are in front in that area

Good luck this weekend guys and girls! Hopefully despite the average crowd we will get, we have an awesome game :)

Tried asking a girl I really really like from uni to go to the footy but she said she had to work :(
Had to work on finding someone whose idea of a date isn't 2 and a half hours of torture?

Good luck this weekend guys and girls! Hopefully despite the average crowd we will get, we have an awesome game :)
Pretty sure deegirl9 left the building in 2002, so just guys will suffice ;)

Haha I can't discriminate sexually seeing as our Mod is female and probably one of the most footy inteligent people on Bigfooty! She spies on us and will probably red card me!

Reckon we will get more then 10,000 on the weekend. I cant see more than 150 Suns fans total being there :(

Haha I can't discriminate sexually seeing as our Mod is female and probably one of the most footy inteligent people on Bigfooty! She spies on us and will probably red card me!

Reckon we will get more then 10,000 on the weekend. I cant see more than 150 Suns fans total being there :(

It's a shocking time and date but its not too terrible for me. Since I work at a restaraunt Mothers Day is one of our biggest days of the year so I have to work but luckily I've been put on from 11:00 so I'll finish work and head right over to the MCG.

I just read that mothers day is the lowest drawing Sunday for the year.

Good job AFL. Lets just fixture the lowest drawing Melbourne team against an expansion side at the MCG!

Atmosphere is gonna be horrible. Our cheer squad in melbourne is normally pretty loud and proud but apart from that we will have nothing! Really depending on you Demons to come out and make some noise haha

Really hoping Dawes can step in and have a big one this week. I'd really love him to shut up those Collingwouldashouldacoulda flogs who went from defending him to calling him a trampoline-chest spud over night. Also everyone else laughing at us for "paying overs for a dud".

Regarding the game as whole - Melbourne will come out complacent that "it's just the Suns" and get blown away in the first quarter. I reckon we'll be down by 5-6 goals at quarter time and never close that gap despite a better effort for the remainder of the game.

I was walking around Flagstaff Gardens with someone late at night, as I was staying at the Radisson on William Street. Firstly, there are possums all over that park at night and it scared the s**t out of me. They make eye contact. So as we were escaping the possums, some guy in a Melbourne shirt walked by us, drunk as hell and he heard my accent and went "******* yank * off". I responded with "No I will not, Sir. Good day!" The girl I was with started laughing at him, and looking quite embarrassed, he decided that the best course of action would be to try and fight me, as soon as he got some shut eye on one of the park benches. He told me to wait, he lied down on a park bench and off to sleep he went. I'm assuming the possums got him, or at least I hope they did after I went up to my hotel room, raided the mini bar for the snacks and dumped them out all over him.

I'm assuming it was one of you. That is the only story I have that involves the Melbourne demons. Suns by 13.

Be careful, Saints fans made similar assumptions before their round 1 game against the GC and ended up with egg on their face. I attended the preseason game between these two clubs and GC certainly had no problem turning it on in the second half. If anything, Melbourne were the ones who ran out of legs. Fremantle were able to really cut down the Gold Coast's inside 50 marks on the weekend and was really the key to why they won. I don't see the Melbourne Demons being as successful in shutting down the Gold Coast forwards, especially if Dixon is playing.

If you look at what is at stake for each club there is quite a bit of difference. For Melbourne, this game is a MUST WIN. For the Gold Coast, it's not really a big deal if they lose. If Melbourne can successfully shut down Ablett, O'Meara and Bennell then I'd say they'll definitely win the game but that is a tall task.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back