Autopsy Round 8 2024 – Sydney Swans vs GWS Giants, Saturday May 4, 1.45pm AEST, SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

The weakness of our midfield was really on display today. Without Green we look pretty much lost in the middle of the ground. At least with him missing some weeks now will give us the opportunity to look at the rest of our midfield and see who can actually step up in his absence.

Having Cogs back will help as well.

Next week we go up against Essendon who have one of the best performing midfields so far this year. That's going to be a real test for us.

I would like to give you guys all a bit of perspective here...
Yes. We were a red hot chance today to beat the Swans and yes, they played much much better than us.

But...
The Giants are still a very young team where as the Swans are right in the sweet spot of experience.
Here are the games played of all players today:

GWS:
Thomas 8
Bedord 45
Brown 37
Riccardi 58
Hogan 148
Whitfield 217
Cadman 20
Buckley 51
Wehr 22
Jones 2
Ash 90
Greene 222
Taylor 99
Idun 76
Himmelberg 160
Briggs 34
Perryman 115
Ward 299
Daniels 90
Kelly 206
Callaghan 33
Peatling 32
Green 75

Total games played: 2139
93 games avg
16 under 100 games
9 under 50 games

Swans:
McCartin 118
Amartey 36
Wicks 56
Melican 68
Blakey 110
McDonald 52
Florent 150
Fox 94
Roberts 15
Cunningham 192
Lloyd 231
Papley 172
McInerny 80
Gulden 75
Rowbottom 101
Adams 210
McLean 61
Jordon 73
Rampe 235
Heeney 185
Warner 68
Hayward 145
Grundy 202

Total games played: 2729
118 games avg
11 under 100 games
2 under 50 games

The media never report that we are a young team. But in terms of games played we are one of the younger teams in the competition. A lot of our depth is youth and inexperienced so as soon as we get injuries we have to call up those players.

It was a wet game and wet games tend to favour those with seasoned bodies.

Just thought you might enjoy this

The midfield without Coniglio and Green looked second rate. I’ve loved what Callan Ward has done for this club but he looks off the pace this year. I’d have XO ahead of him at the moment.

Not sure what’s going on with Toby either. He’s only had one decent game all season.

I though Jack Buckley had a good game and saved us from being totally blitzed.
Totally agree with all of this, and all player assessments. Toby has lacked spark all season really, not sure why he hasn’t had some midfield time to mix things up and try and get him going.

I would like to give you guys all a bit of perspective here...
Yes. We were a red hot chance today to beat the Swans and yes, they played much much better than us.

But...
The Giants are still a very young team where as the Swans are right in the sweet spot of experience.
Here are the games played of all players today:

GWS:
Thomas 8
Bedord 45
Brown 37
Riccardi 58
Hogan 148
Whitfield 217
Cadman 20
Buckley 51
Wehr 22
Jones 2
Ash 90
Greene 222
Taylor 99
Idun 76
Himmelberg 160
Briggs 34
Perryman 115
Ward 299
Daniels 90
Kelly 206
Callaghan 33
Peatling 32
Green 75

Total games played: 2139
93 games avg
16 under 100 games
9 under 50 games

Swans:
McCartin 118
Amartey 36
Wicks 56
Melican 68
Blakey 110
McDonald 52
Florent 150
Fox 94
Roberts 15
Cunningham 192
Lloyd 231
Papley 172
McInerny 80
Gulden 75
Rowbottom 101
Adams 210
McLean 61
Jordon 73
Rampe 235
Heeney 185
Warner 68
Hayward 145
Grundy 202

Total games played: 2729
118 games avg
11 under 100 games
2 under 50 games

The media never report that we are a young team. But in terms of games played we are one of the younger teams in the competition. A lot of our depth is youth and inexperienced so as soon as we get injuries we have to call up those players.

It was a wet game and wet games tend to favour those with seasoned bodies.

Just thought you might enjoy this
lol....young does not equal games played.

Next week is under the roof at Marvel so conditions will be vastly different.

Might as well suggest changes v Essendon:

Gruzewski for Brown (gone for 3 I reckon)
Coniglio for Green
Haynes or Cumming for Thomas (need to shore up that backline, Jones > Thomas, Haynes/Cumming starts, Perryman to the bench, Ward to sub)
Jones to start, Bedford to the bench (not sure what's happening with Bedford, but maybe starting on the bench will fire him up).

Edit: What to do with Briggs?? He is getting beaten pretty much every week. Puts us at a disadvantage from the get-go.

Last edited:
Preseason AK talked about guys being at their peak for the right time of year and for the players to trust the fitness staff to get this right. I hope we have stuck fat with this because selection has been a bit confusing so far. I think with everything Greene has had going on outside of footy with a new bub, a managed preseason is the reason for his slow start to the year. But with Cogs injured, Ward getting injured and out of form, finding some depth inside mids when we are getting slaughtered in there hasn't happened. Why hasn't Pez gone in there and Haynes/Fahey/Cumming come in to play back, why hasn't Rowston played yet? God help us if Briggs go down and given the workload he is currently carrying it will be amazing if he makes it through the season unscathed. Mid year, last year, a few positional changes and couple guys coming in kick-started our season. The positive this year is our W/L is miles ahead compared to last, but the side looks to have a major flaw in the middle of the ground, it's whether we have the cattle to fix it.

Gruz for Brown.
Cogs for Greene.
Maybe Rowston in for one of the small brigade.
You can’t drop Toby! 😮..sure there’s a certain symmetry about the only other captain ever dropped for loss of form, replacing Toby but that’s not going to happen. Agree though that Toby is not playing to his usual high standards this season and am unsure why. i hope it will only be a matter of time before our (3 time) All Australian recaptures his 2023 form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can’t drop Toby! 😮..sure there’s a certain symmetry about the only other captain ever dropped for loss of form, replacing Toby but that’s not going to happen. Agree though that Toby is not playing to his usual high standards this season and am unsure why. i hope it will only be a matter of time before our (3 time) All Australian recaptures his 2023 form.
lol… Green

The rain is why I take yesterday’s result with a grain of salt.

Again we were well fisted up the arse by the umpiring fraternity.

When will Kingers bring this up?
From what we've seen of him - never.
He's a no-excuses personality that only worries about the controllables.
Someone in the football dept can send please explains for specific actions.

Check out "The Round So Far" on the AFL website, from about 3 mins 31 secs onward.

It has footage of Kingsley's reaction to the 6-6-6 stuff-up late in the third quarter. He was not a happy man, and certainly not in the presser.

Whatever happens to Brown at the tribunal, there will be other consequences.

Check out "The Round So Far" on the AFL website, from about 3 mins 31 secs onward.

It has footage of Kingsley's reaction to the 6-6-6 stuff-up late in the third quarter. He was not a happy man, and certainly not in the presser.

Whatever happens to Brown at the tribunal, there will be other consequences.
He was furious about a lot of things.
Kingers reminds me of my old man, you knew when he was pissed off, even when he was talking calmly.
Glad I’m not in the squad tomorrow.

He was furious about a lot of things.
Kingers reminds me of my old man, you knew when he was pissed off, even when he was talking calmly.
Glad I’m not in the squad tomorrow.
Let's hope Essendon know about it next Saturday.

Gotta say, pretty happy with the Giants turnout.

Could see bits of orange all around the stadium, even in the Swans members area. :D

I was sitting up in the Victor Trumper stand last year and don't recall a lot of orange, but would say it's on the up compared to last year.

Good crowd - No hostility whatsoever. Got chatting with a Swans fan on the tram who supports both teams as it's good for footy. Was great.

Last edited:
Gotta say, pretty happy with the Giants turnout.

Could see bits of orange all around the stadium, even in the Swans members area. :D

I was sitting up in the Victor Trumper stand last year and don't recall a lot of orange, but would say it's on the up compared to last year.

Good crowd - No hostility whatsoever. Got chatting with a Swans fan on the tram who supports both teams as it's good for footy. Was great.
There was a bit of Swan fan snarkiness near the Giants Cheer squad in the 2nd half.
Nothing too bad but enough to rile everyone up and security spoke to a few of them.
I assumed they were rugby league crossovers from repeated calls of "go the refs"...

Last edited:
There was a bit of Swan fan snarkiness near the Giants Cheer squad in the 2nd half.
Nothing too bad but enough to rile everyone up and security spoke to a few of them.
I assumed they were rugby league crossovers from repeated calls of "go the refs"...
Sorry to hear.

Poor form.

Don't understand this kind of behaviour or carry on. Everyone's out to have a good day at the footy, no need for this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back