Prediction Round 8, 2024: Changes vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder if the Essendon Edge will be focussed on Harley...when you see them at it on field, it looks like cheap sniping or dirty play, which of course goes on in any game, but they turn it up a notch.

Although we thought the Suns game would show us where we're at (without Harley etc), in some ways it wasn't a good indicator as there were too many factors against us.
I reckon our home games and the teams we play will offer a more stable indication of where we're at, and any improvement.
Always important to win away though...

Pyke wants to resurrect the Sheedy scarf waving...if it doesn't eventuate, it should be
a dour contest, if the legs hold up...
Simmo alluded to some changes regarding underperforming players, he was a bit pithy! The obvious ins are TB, Reid and Long, as it should be, and a return to the derby team where possible..
I agree. It's good to remember that a mid table non Vic team makes finals from winning most of their home games and a couple of away. The first sign of us moving up the ladder will be strong wins at home. Once we can win 9-10 Optus games a year, we only need 3-4 away wins to make the bottom of the 8.

Mm, do we? Outside of like 2 isolated incidents against Sydney in round 2, you're going to have to help me out with where this has been.

We are a much more physical team than previously, but that can be put down a lot to personnel - in particular playing bigger guys like Caldwell and Durham around the ball a lot more than the smaller Parish, combined with the fact that we are playing very little youth. Davey Jr probably the only young guy we're currently playing, who couldn't hurt a fly.

Anyway, best of luck. Could imagine that this year has already been a lot more enjoyable than previously for you all with some more competitive outfits.
Sure, but you're the team flying that brand (the edge) as promoted by your coach, a harder tougher intensity around the ball (or more physical). This is really the MO for most teams, but from the small sample viewing of Dons, there's been some extra mayo added occasionally, which I presumed was a bit of 'edge'?
Maybe you could explain what the edge actually means?
Yes, it has been a more enjoyable season with what looks like the beginning of a turnaround. Best of luck to you, promises to be a cracker game!

Last edited:
Sure, but you're the team flying that brand (the edge) as promoted by your coach, a harder tougher intensity around the ball (or more physical). This is really the MO for most teams, but from the small sample viewing of Dons, there's been some extra mayo added occasionally, which I presumed was a bit of 'edge'?
Maybe you could explain what the edge actually means?
Yes, it has been a more enjoyable season with what looks like the beginning of a turnaround. Best of luck to you, promises to be a cracker game!

Now that's a good question haha - if anyone can put it into words, you'd be doing us a favour.
For mine, it's actually playing with a tenacity and intensity that would/should be expected of a professional AFL team rather than the soft, outside, undisciplined, "we'll show up somewhere between 9-13 times a year when we feel like it" sort of team that we have been haha.

But again, I'm not sure of this extra mayo. The Wright incident stands out as it got a lot of attention. In that same game, Draper lined up and bumped someone in a marking contest that was clearly late and I thought was too far.

But that's genuinely been it. Scott mentioned the 'edge' once in his press conference in the game before round 2 against Sydney. Then those 2 incidents happened, and Papley and Heeney had a whine about it post-game. Since then, no-one from Essendon has said a word about it, but every man, woman and dog in the media has obviously run with it on a weekly basis. I get it, Scott was the one who said the word that one time in a press conference, so he's brought it on himself, but it's very much overblown.

To me, it's as simple as "Hey, you want to be a professional AFL footballer and get a game, this is a non-negotiable. That you come with a defensive mindset every week, not 40%, 70% or 85% of the time. And you do tackle to stick the tickle, not any of those one arm, hand grabbing the jumper easily brushed off weak tackles." 4th quarter of ANZAC day was a great example. Equivalent game last year, Collingwood ran all over us and we didn't give a yelp. Last week, very competitive and even contest. We've been fairly consistent in delivering that effort 6 out of 7 games so far. Port made an embarrassment out of us.

Reid, Long, Barrass all straight back in. I think Sheed gets given a full game to see if he still has anything left to offer and I would like to see Hall and or Jonston get a debut. Chesser needs WAFL time and Brockman needs to get some confidence also.
Hunts form has dropped off and would like to see him provide more run out of defence rather then the wing. We tend to be pretty direct these days hence the low number of disposals and lack of possessions for players on the wings.

Out Hedwards, Chesser, Brockman, Ledwards, Witho
In Reid, Barrass, Long, Hall, Johnston

Hough Barrass Rotham
Duggan Gov Hunt

Ginbey Kelly Sheed

Long Darling Cripps
Ryan Waterman Maric

Bwill Yeo Reid

JWill, Petro, Cole, Johnston, Hall(sub)

Now that's a good question haha - if anyone can put it into words, you'd be doing us a favour.
For mine, it's actually playing with a tenacity and intensity that would/should be expected of a professional AFL team rather than the soft, outside, undisciplined, "we'll show up somewhere between 9-13 times a year when we feel like it" sort of team that we have been haha.

If they're anything like me...they stole it from the Columbia University Womens team Coach Megan Griffith.

It was on a podcast I listen to and she is a great coach. I highly recommend having a listen to her about building culture in a team if you are interested in coaching.

Last edited:
Out: H.Edwards (stiff), Chesser, L.Edwards, Sheed
In: Badguy Barrass, Reid, Long, Johnston

Witherden, Barrass, Rotham
Duggan, McGovern, Hough

Hunt, Yeo, Ginbey

Petruccelle, Waterman, Maric
Long, Darling, Cripps

B.Williams, Kelly, Reid

Brockman, Johnston, Cole, J.Williams

Sub: Ryan

in. I think Sheed gets given a full game to see if he still has anything left to offer

For how many years do we have to try Sheed until we accept he’s well past it?
Agree with Hook. I’m very dubious about Sheed but I think the fact Gaff isn’t being hurried back (maybe never?) hopefully means Dom knows he is on very thin ice.

For how many years do we have to try Sheed until we accept he’s well past it? He should be nowhere near the AFL team. Bring in some youth and develop them instead of dragging out the old guys who are past it.
He’s not old, he’s just too low intensity to be of any use. He should be leading our midfield right now. 10 years in the club, these are the players who should be leading your midfield.

real bloody shame that so many of our players drafted between 2012-2015 are limited as hell

Definitely in: Barrass, Reid.
Out: some of H Edwards, Chesser, Brockman, L Edwards, Sheed, Ryan, maybe even Hunt or Rotham.
Other options for inclusion: Long, Johnston, Trew, Hall.

Don't know that the fine details make much difference. We had a lot of passengers against GC, but I'm not convinced that the alternatives would have outperformed them, or that lots of changes are required. I'd probably only make 2 changes.

Hints of the slow it down, kick it sideways last week, we’ve got to lose that s**t mentality permanently. Welcome back Harley.
Harley dead set always has a go, that’s the best thing about him, just always gives it a red hot crack. Inspires others to do the same.

For how many years do we have to try Sheed until we accept he’s well past it? He should be nowhere near the AFL team. Bring in some youth and develop them instead of dragging out the old guys who are past it.
Fair comment, simmo has given fringe players every opportunity to show something this year. Will prob be sheeds last chance ìf he doesn't crack on. Gaff-Ledwards-sheed are done imo time to trial hall-johnston-trew. Credit to Witherden-rotham-jamo-hedwards for being on their last chance and doing well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sheed is a conundrum, becoming the next Gaff on here.
Hasn't had a good run at it yet.
I'd like to see him get a game under his belt and judge him on that at least.
If he looks too slow for the game style and his stats aren't convincing, or low impact then the problem resolves itself.

I reckon Gaff at 31 is done, he's noticeably slower now with a less penetrating kick, and he's helping in other in-club promo areas, apart from Wafl leadership.
Sheed at 29 arguably has more going for him, but just doesn't seem suited to fast paced/two way footy; yet you'd think he's been training at that all preseason (factoring in his injury), either way that's the new game plan and he would be expected to perform to a standard. Like Ryan, he's coming back off a long injury and needs to build his tank. With our current depth, that should be done properly in the Wafl.

When people talk about 'credits', do they mean 'pet players', because I doubt Simmo does that (if he ever did) - if anything it's a concern to have two highly paid players seeing out their contracts in the Wafl, so they'll try to squeeze as much as possible out of Sheed, different positions, a run of a few games, depth for injuries, whatever, to get their money's worth...then call it? I don't know if it works that way?
But Sheed needs to put more pep in his step to survive the cut?
He’s Tom Mitchell/Crouch brothers slow, but without the physical presence or high possie counts.

Albeit with arguably a better kick.

But really what’s the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back