Autopsy Round 8, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Simmo defending his mate "Crippa" in the presser. Gross.

"I didn't see it, I'm sure he regrets it, but I don't think we can be pointing the finger at Crippa, I don't think we can say thats cost us the game."

Nice one. "Well we lost by 6 and that turnover cost us a goal but I think we would have lost anyway?" We all know he's playing next week how about just the slightest clip for one of the dumbest things you'll ever see?

"I didn't see it, I'm sure he regrets it, but I don't think we can be pointing the finger at Crippa, I don't think we can say thats cost us the game."

Nice one. "Well we lost by 6 and that turnover cost us a goal but I think we would have lost anyway?" We all know he's playing next week how about just the slightest clip for one of the dumbest things you'll ever see?
Perhaps that's just what he's said in public, but we will never know

There was ten minutes left in the game and waterman hadn’t even scored ffs. Why would you be pointing the finger at him?

Such a disappointing loss...we absolutely did enough to win that, but luck just wasn't on our side (plus Cripps brainfade)...but I tell you what, I absolutely bloody love THIS squad and the phase we are in...almost as much as our 2018 squad.

Waterman going from whipping boy to whipping boys
Reid throwing grown men around as if he is Clark Kent in the flesh
Yeo bursting out of packs like the second coming of Judd
Williams & Williams combo, pasty brothers from another mother
Barrass & McGovern winding back the clock
Petch finally learning how to use his abilities like the Flash season 2
Kelly carrying the team on his back with individual plays of absolute desperation
Growth of the young boys in Long, Ginbey, Hough & Chesser

...but most important of all...the muzzle being taken off Simpson. He looks like a new man in interviews/press conferences, and I have no doubt in my mind that Pyke is to thank for that. I 100% want him to take us to our next finals campaign.

Also worth noting...we absolutely missed Hunt tonight, and I hope he is back ASAP. Just as important as McGovern & Barrass to our backline.

Sheed coming in late ****ed the team balance. Would rather have had Hedwards come in to play forward.. or even down back with Gov forward. He's just not up to the speed of afl in body and mind.
Fully agree. Sheed should never have been the in, and quite frankly needs to stay away from the firsts until he retires.

He was a good player back in the day, but our gameplan is evolving away from his primary skillset and he doesn't have the ability to adapt.

Simmo: Replace Sheed with a kid and let them learn the skills necessary to execute the new play style. I don't care if we lose every game for the rest of the season - Sheed will not feature in our next premiership. Stop faltering on the rebuild and commit to it.

Was at the game. The Reid double don't argue was honestly the loudest i've heard Optus in a long time.

Conversely, the energy was sucked out of the arena after that overturned Cripps free kick. There's just no point or benefit in doing that tough guy stuff in modern footy, and it ruined what could have been an amazing moment. Still a great game to watch as a neutral.

What Cripps did was nowhere near worth reversing a pivotal shot on goal. On the flipside Cripps was a repeat offender on multiple fronts, Petch, Ryan, Sheed, Edwards were s**t and Bailey Williams competed well but makes too many brain farts to ever be a front line AFL player.

Long, Yeo injuries fingers crossed.

Forwardline of Waterman, Williams and Darling were heroic. Kelly had an awesome second half. Ginbey with his best game.
Yea I also thought it was a soft reversal. was a little shove, player took a dive. dissapointing, but the cripps hate is misplaced. The big dissapointment is the efforts put in by Ryan, the lack of intensity from Sheed

Ryan is pretty horrible.

Guess he just has to keep playing now he's in.

We never really looked like winning despite it being within 2-3 goals all night..

They just did enough each time to keep at arms distance.

A draw would've been a big win for us.

Hopefully the injuries aren't as bad as expected

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was at the game. The Reid double don't argue was honestly the loudest i've heard Optus in a long time.

Conversely, the energy was sucked out of the arena after that overturned Cripps free kick. There's just no point or benefit in doing that tough guy stuff in modern footy, and it ruined what could have been an amazing moment. Still a great game to watch as a neutral.

pants take GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You did'nt!?
I'm sorry guys, but making a joke post at 10 am this morning, didn't in fact cause injuries to a player :(
I just got home and checked the score :( gutted, seems like it may have been a ripper game.
glad to see our straight kicking keeping us in games is still a thing xD

That’s very disappointing (potential) news in relation to Noah :(

The worst part of the game. And Yeo of course.

Proud of the effort, the second half was a fantastic lift in comparison to the first. And dare I say, a tick to the new S&C team. Watching on TV, so may not be as accurate as being at the ground, but we seemed to run the game out really well. A 6 day break off the longest travel/trip vs a 9 day break. Huge improvement.
We were absolutely cooked in the last five minutes. Boys gave 100% but the 6 day break and Injuries on the bench (Yeo, Long and Harley) killed it. Bombers were blowing hard too.

I was watching him directly at that stage of the game, he was “chasing” the Bombers player at less than half rat power and then when the crowd were groaning like “what the hell Harley?” he then took off to run harder and then pulled up short and immediately reach for the hammy. Seemingly it was only cramp 🤞
It happened down our end and he was limping a fair bit. Either cramp or a minor hammy. Nothing to get too concerned about.

Yeah, because castigating one of your players in public is the way to go I guess.

Last edited:
I'm sorry guys, but making a joke post at 10 am this morning, didn't in fact cause injuries to a player :(
I just got home and checked the score :( gutted, seems like it may have been a ripper game.
glad to see our straight kicking keeping us in games is still a thing xD

Lies, it was 100% your post and I hope for your sake it's only a 1-2 weaker.

That said, I for one am not sorry that my 100 posts about Jamie Cripps cursed him into being a board villain for 1 night. As he should have been all along! Luckily it did not cost us the game. We will resume normal programming next week against bogey side Collingwood where I'm keen to get among the W's again. Harleys back, so no more witchcraft!

Thoughts on the umpiring? Not being flippant, and had a good old sook last week so you know I love the blame game.

Think that might have been the best/most invisible umpiring game ever. Thought they got most things right, got suckered into a few of our arm raise for some high frees is probably the worst they did and naturally I don’t care about that.

For a game where we arguably lost on a reversal, I reckon I’ve never been less inclined to criticise the umps than I am after that one.
ill take people blaming the umpires over blaming the guy on bigfooty making a thread for causing injuries D:

Yeah, because out and castigating one of your players in public is the way to go.

Wait wtf I thought I'd put you on mute. Ah well, after this: you don't criticise a player for being down on form but if someone does something that undisciplined it's standard practice to disapprove even if you don't really mean it. Simmo has publicly criticised plenty of blokes for undisciplined nonsense in the past and dropped them for it as well. Look no further than Schofield, and wasn't too shy in making his feelings known about how Jetta and Hill were going at times either.

Yea I also thought it was a soft reversal. was a little shove, player took a dive. dissapointing, but the cripps hate is misplaced. The big dissapointment is the efforts put in by Ryan, the lack of intensity from Sheed

Usually the umps don't reverse that stuff, and will just say, 'Up you get!' and get on with the game. Bad form, imho, both from Cripps and the ump for falling for that rubbish - it was milked for all its worth.

Long and Yeo and probably Waterman injured
Long had been ordinary in this game and last week
Waterman look really hampered and still played well
That idiotic mistake from Cripps cost him the goal and us a draw
Martin handed him his arse

Luke Edwards is just s**t is slow in motion and slow in mind
when he gets hold of the footy and just holds up the play its just awful

Darling got a couple of gaols but his work rate was horrible didnt chase

Liam Ryan should be dropped back to wafl for a few weeks to find form

NEGS
  • Yeo injury. The midfield will really struggle without him. But I'm more concerned for what this means for him over the next couple years. We thought he'd turned that injury corner. I fear the cycle may begin again
  • I had to be critical of Harley, because I love so much of what he's already bringing and it's everything we'd hoped for, but......I feel he went looking for a few high frees tonight, and he was very nonchalant about walking through a few tackles, and ended up coming unstuck. Hope we can stamp this out quickly
  • Long injury too if its ACL
  • Ryan's efforts were extremely poor. Can only hope its lack of match fitness.
  • Was prepared to give Sheed time to catch up with the modern game. But I'm losing hope

PROS
  • Fantastic fight shown in second half to hang on when undermanned.
  • The Waterman transformation blows my mind. He is playing incredibly well. Was cooked in that last quarter but left nothing out there, & still managed 2 great contested marks & kept presenting & giving full effort. Shame he didn't get the chance to kick his 4th
  • Jack Wiliams. Really positive. 3 goals. And 15 disposals!!!
  • Houghy - gun.
  • Massive lift from TK when the team needed it
  • If Long is an ACL, at least a Midseason draft spot has opened up.
  • Good to see Barrass stringing some form together. Maybe his back isn't as bad as feared

Remove this Banner Ad

Back