Preview Round 8, 2024: St.Kilda v North Melbourne - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 4 May, 4.35pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what do we think are the changes this week?
Big promo on Cambell on the website. Could he be in for Marshal (sore knee)?

Will King be back...possibly with Hayes to help Campbell in the ruck?

Midfield might see the Dow up and running

Does Webster, Paton or Arnie get a run???

My uninformed guess:

King and Hayes in for Sharman and Membrey​
Dow in for Hastie​
Collard in for Higgins (suspension reduced to 1 week)​
Webster in for Cordy/Howard (we don't need another tall against North)​

Campbell a late in for Marshall .

By the way, if Hunter C was in the scratch match two weeks ago why didn't he play for Sandy last week?

I think the defensive small forward role is a bit of a sad excuse.

Butler wasn't a 'pressure forward' in 2020. He was sharking and swooping on opportunities, thieving off the back of packs, pick - pocketing.

Then it dries up, for whatever reason. Then he started to be known for his pressure acts. Exactly the same excuse we gave Ben Long as a forward. The odd explosive offense, but mostly just toiling away pushing and tackling - the so called 'pressure acts'. What do I think a pressure - act small forward is? I think it is a person who used to win the ball, but now is chasing the ball carrier. They are second to the ball and they used to be first.

I know it sounds blunt, but I think Butler's career is really on a knife's edge here. Three ankles now. And what I know is. is that these things are degenerative. I think he could be a great coach and I've alway's admire him.

Anyway, pressure acts? Come on. Small forwards need to be first to the ball. the unexpected ball..the one tha bounces randomly in front, to the side, out the back. Pressure acts are not enough.
Ah yes; "forward pressure"

Until this season Jack Higgins was a little cheeky chubby fella that was dangerous around goals (and around behinds 🤪)

This year he appears to have trimmed down; is running faster and further and is providing that forward tackling pressure we've craved.

And look where it's got him! 😬

Last edited:

People need to get a grip, we’re not that good to begin with and I thought finals would be a tough ask this year. So from that starting position we’ve lost a few to injury, won 2 games lost some close games, played quite a few kids. In addition we’ve had a punishing schedule and we have a few who are out of form.

Unless people had convinced themselves we were a lock for finals where’s the drama?. Collingwood on 3 wins and Brisbane on 2 with both facing stiff opposition this week is a drama. We might still win 8 or more for the year which imo is a pass given we’re blooding our kids, only Shoenmaker is yet to debut from last years draft.

A loss to norf would be a gut punch but having said that they have some real talent including the big guy Xerri we chased a couple of years ago. Seriously North Melbourne need to start winning games at some point and they will be primed for this.
If we lose to north could we get some concession picks?!

Yes he was, he lead the comp for inside 50 tackles that year.

He's always been a pressure forward who maxes out at around 30 goals per year.

Funny all our pressure forwards seem to go downhill until they are ineffective.

McQualter 22 goals in 2009. 8 in 2010. Career over aged 26..
Weller 12 goals 2015, 24 goals 2016 , 11 goals 2017, 5 goals 2018. career over aged 27
Butler 29 goals 2020. 18 goals 2021, 19 goals 2022, 33 goals 2023. hmmm bucking the trend.

Round 8 Team

B. Wilkie Battle Webster

H.B. Hastie Sch'maker NWM

C. Wood Dow Hill

H.F. Owens King Wilson

F. Membrey Hayes Higgins

Foll. Marshall Steele Sinclair

I/C. Byrnes, Collard, Garcia, Windhager, Bonner

Ins. Collard, Dow, Hayes, King, Sch'maker, Webster, Wood

Outs. Caminiti, Cordy, Howard, Phillipou, Ross, Sharman, Stocker
I'm afraid I'll have to agree with that.

Weller 12 goals 2015, 24 goals 2016 , 11 goals 2017, 5 goals 2018. career over aged 27
Butler 29 goals 2020. 18 goals 2021, 19 goals 2022, 33 goals 2023. hmmm bucking the trend.
Yeah
I shouldn’t be trying to end Dan Bu

Yeah
Should t be trying to end Dan’s career. As pointed out, he kicked 33 goals last year. Not bad ! Excellent.

I am worried about the ankle and remember he could barely kick in that final.

I don’t want to think of him as a pressure forward .. I wanna think goal kicker

Last edited:
All the preseason talk about how good we looked. How the standards were elite.

Now we're a few mids short of being a sure thing against north

FMD

I'll ask again... WTF did Brendan Goddard do to earn the right to be our midfield coach?

What makes Robert Harvey a good forwards coach? Holding Owens back from the midfield?.. yeah... na.

FMD

I'll ask again... WTF did Brendan Goddard do to earn the right to be our midfield coach?

What makes Robert Harvey a good forwards coach? Holding Owens back from the midfield?.. yeah... na.
Bit of a perfect storm this year. Early injuries and a crappy early draw. better now to play all the kids than finish 9th

My uninformed guess:

Dow in for Hastie​

By the way, if Hunter C was in the scratch match two weeks ago why didn't he play for Sandy last week?
I think one of Sharman and Membrey will be out, but not both. Hayes a better replacement for Caminiti if he does indeed come in.
Ah yes; "forward pressure"

Until this season Jack Higgins was a little cheeky chubby fella that was dangerous around goals (and around behinds :drunk:)

This year he appears to have trimmed down; is running faster and further and is providing that forward tackling pressure we've craved.

And look where it's got him! :grimacing:
He's our leading goalkicker.

Phillipou will not be dropped. Not even a discussion. Whether you like it or not (and are yet to recognise it), the plan is clearly to play him as much as possible unless he's physically injured. He would've been dropped or rested last year numerous times if the RTBs plan wasn't to get as many games into him early in his career as possible. I sense that it's a similar plan with Wilson. A complete change from 2008/09/10/11 RTB.

Besides the obvious with Higgins (and maybe Ro), I would expect Sharman, Howard, and Stocker to be on the chopping blocks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FMD

If Ross Lyon wanted Owens in the midfield more he'd be in the midfield more.

I'm sure he's not being overruled by a line coach.

Phillipou will not be dropped. Not even a discussion. Whether you like it or not (and are yet to recognise it), the plan is clearly to play him as much as possible unless he's physically injured. He would've been dropped or rested last year numerous times if the RTBs plan wasn't to get as many games into him early in his career as possible. I sense that it's a similar plan with Wilson. A complete change from 2008/09/10/11 RTB.

Besides the obvious with Higgins (and maybe Ro), I would expect Sharman, Howard, and Stocker to be on the chopping blocks.
I don't think they're going to drop the player who has the size to play on Larkey.

Do you reckon Darcy getting the rising star nom one week and then Sainter of the week the next will fire up some of the senior players?
Like a first year player showing up all the older stars should get them thinking about their own input at least.
Might even stimulate a bit of jealousy and competitiveness in some of the younger blokes.

My uninformed guess:

Dow in for Hastie​

this?
any ITKs have info

Arie Schoenmaker​

27 disposals, 23 kicks, seven marks

Saturday was Arie’s best game for the year. Starting with physicality and intensity around the contest, he competed well with five score involvements as a back so clearly still brought his weapon to the table, good progression shown this week.

5️⃣ score involvements from the back.
Doubt if even any of our mids could pull that off.
Get him in rtb and stop ******* around.

Arie Schoenmaker​

Saturday was Arie’s best game for the year. Starting with physicality and intensity around the contest, he competed well with five score involvements as a back so clearly still brought his weapon to the table, good progression shown this week.

He genuinely is going to be hard to keep out of the side soon with stats like that. Hes also has 2 games of 30+ disposals and a "poor" game of only 16disposals of which 2 were handballs.

The only issue is we are running with too many of the young players already without bringing in another who plays the same position of two of our best players in Wilkie and Battle. He is basically key positioned size but I think having him go up against seasoned key position forwards will waste his strengths.

Arie Schoenmaker​

He's clearly had to earn his debut more than the others. My thoughts all year have been that they could potentially be holding him off for a Launceston debut next weekend instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back