Autopsy Round 9 2024 – Essendon vs GWS Giants, Saturday 11 May, 4.35pm AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

It all depends on our tackle pressure. When the Bombers bumped theirs up to 200 in the 2nd quarter we became fumbly.
Because our gameplan is dependant on getting the ball on the outside with hands going forward, strong tackle pressure breaks us down.

We need to apply equal or more tackle pressure than the opposition.

Also, in the first part of each quarter, don’t be so reliant on the running game. Just boot the ball forward to the next contest a bit more. Let our forwards get to work. We are looking for a nice clean entry too much.
When fatigue sets in a bit more, then look to move by hands a bit more.

To me this looks like a really clear pattern in the games that we lose. Not sure if anyone else agrees.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s time for panic stations however I do think we and the media got a bit ahead of ourselves when we still have some inconsistency’s and holes in our list.

Watching the game we are really disadvantaged at the centre bounce and in clearances. Big Tom can’t do this job alone and a lot of our other mids look very outside to me.

I think we were all hope Finn could step up this year and be the other guy but he just seems too inconsistent. He looks best as the link man breaking away rather than the extractor. We need another guy who can go in hard and get the pill first and then our outside speed can do their thing.

We are also too fumbly in key moments. Bedford, who is a key gauge to performance needs to show more composure, he just runs in 1000 miles an hour but then either fumbles or makes a mess of things.

Toby Greene is out of form. He’s been so good for so long so is entitled to this but he needs to get his head back on. He is a champion and will bounce.

I think we looked worse without Peatling and Weir, they are both slight but both put their bodies on the line. I’d bring one or both back in. Connor Stone just doesn’t have the agility for the modern game and unfortunately for me is a bust.

I don’t think we will crash but I’m also not sure we quite have the team to win it this year. We need a marked improvement from a bunch of blokes and somehow need to find some hard headed extractors. Maybe Rowston gets another chance or maybe X although I’m just not sure either is the answer!

Fox Sports post mortem of the games - we got a well deserved harsh D+ assessment, but room for optimism.

GWS GIANTS
There is only one way to phrase the Giants’ loss on Saturday evening – disappointing. While they controlled the first half, resisting Essendon’s impending run, they were run over by the Dons in the second half. It was a game fans would’ve ticked off as an expected win going into the weekend, and now leaves slight questions marks over their premiership credentials.

In the votes
Tom Green (34 disposals, seven clearances) had plenty of the ball, but likely not enough impact to poll a vote come Brownlow night. Jesse Hogan (12 disposals, two goals) performed far better than his stat line suggests, but also won’t poll. Kieran Briggs (16 disposals, 25 hitouts, 10 clearances) was a brute all game, but his disposal efficiency acted as a blight on his true impact.

Room for improvement
Not allowing the opposition to control the game so much with a heavy marking game. It doesn’t always work for teams, but when it does, it makes it really hard for a team like the Giants to win back control when they can’t dictate the pace of the game. Beyond that, they were marginally beaten in most areas with no major concerns – the next couple of weeks will tell us whether or not this was just an off day.
Grade
D+

Fox Sports post mortem of the games - we got a well deserved harsh D+ assessment, but room for optimism.

GWS GIANTS
There is only one way to phrase the Giants’ loss on Saturday evening – disappointing. While they controlled the first half, resisting Essendon’s impending run, they were run over by the Dons in the second half. It was a game fans would’ve ticked off as an expected win going into the weekend, and now leaves slight questions marks over their premiership credentials.

In the votes
Tom Green (34 disposals, seven clearances) had plenty of the ball, but likely not enough impact to poll a vote come Brownlow night. Jesse Hogan (12 disposals, two goals) performed far better than his stat line suggests, but also won’t poll. Kieran Briggs (16 disposals, 25 hitouts, 10 clearances) was a brute all game, but his disposal efficiency acted as a blight on his true impact.

Room for improvement
Not allowing the opposition to control the game so much with a heavy marking game. It doesn’t always work for teams, but when it does, it makes it really hard for a team like the Giants to win back control when they can’t dictate the pace of the game. Beyond that, they were marginally beaten in most areas with no major concerns – the next couple of weeks will tell us whether or not this was just an off day.
Grade
D+

Off day? Try off month.

I wish we had another option for Briggs....

This for me is a major concern.

One of the reasons they finished 2022 so well was Briggs’ rise. He is miles off that at the moment.

And Preuss is held together by sticky tape. If Briggs goes down they are in trouble.

In all of the losses this year Briggs has been comprehensively beaten

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This for me is a major concern.

One of the reasons they finished 2022 so well was Briggs’ rise. He is miles off that at the moment.

And Preuss is held together by sticky tape. If Briggs goes down they are in trouble.

In all of the losses this year Briggs has been comprehensively beaten

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I don't even think he's playing poorly, I think it's just that other coaches have figured him out.

Don't get me wrong I absolutely love Briggs, but he has a very straightforward method of attacking the ruck contest.

Like imagine you're an opposition ruck coach and you're coming up against GWS. "Okay mate you're up against Briggs next. He's shorter than you so he's going to try to use his body to block you from the drop of the ball or push you off it, every single time. And if he gets both hands on the ball he's going to boot it straight out of the contest. Now here's what you do to counter that..."

Probably be the simplest coaching job of the year for them.

I'm not sure what the solution to that is though. He's going to lose if tries to contest as a tap ruckman. All he can do is continue to try and use his strength and follow-up work to out-muscle the other ruckman and win the ball.

Our mids are the issue
Lack of depth and ageing.

GWS can beat anyone on its day but if one or more mids have an ordinary day, it becomes way harder for us especially if Plan A is mitigated.

Trade may be the only way to get good midfielders while we are in the premiership window. LDU looks very distracted and disinterested this season - North needs a KP, maybe Cadman?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS can beat anyone on its day but if one or more mids have an ordinary day, it becomes way harder for us especially if Plan A is mitigated.

Trade may be the only way to get good midfielders while we are in the premiership window. LDU looks very distracted and disinterested this season - North needs a KP, maybe Cadman?
What?

Trade Cadman? Are you cooked?

Also, we know North doesn't love their pick 1s (even if they are on track to get another one this year).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back