Autopsy Round 9, 2024 : Hawks slap the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly just feel sorry for them. Their fans have been through the absolute ringer. They’re in a tough spot too.. Tassie coming in and they’re looking at a potential rebuild.
I wouldn’t go that far they have drafted well in the last 3 years which is subjective of course but I think with what they’ve had they have done well.
2021 Wanganeen-Milera Owens Windhager
2022 philippou van es hotton keeler (last 3 haven’t played but all look likely types)
2023 Wilson collard hastie Garcia shoenmaker (2-4 have played seniors already shoemaker on the verge and only slid because of some questionable behaviour)
They also brought in paddy Dow and Liam Henry this year as 23 and 22 year olds.
It must be hard following them but all is not lost.

Because he's hell bent on showing the world that his dour gameplan can actually win a flag.
THIS.

I would hate to barrack for a Ross Lyon-coached team.

Every game would be about as exciting and rewarding as a testicle punch.

rewatching. Take a look at weddle btw 6.30 and 5.45 left in Q1. Hobbling near the ball it presents so he grabs it and he goes for a gallop. It turns over comes back he’s totally hobbling then takes a saving mark on the square. Absolute commitment and courage what a jet!

Far out we tried our hardest to lose that but the effort prevailed
Vando, I love near every one of your posts… but not this one.

This was a win, with just 2 goals in the second half, that could have our team know that they can defend and arrest momentum. This win creates the knowledge about how to stop a teams momentum.

Last weeks “hold on” in the last 2 minutes was good, this weeks shut down was even better.

I loved this game for our young team.

The Hawks chose / were forced to come into this game with a lack of size and a lack of gut runners.

We not only won this game, we hardened our group for the future.

It was a grind-out joy to watch.

This was a win, with just 2 goals in the second half, that could have our team know that they can defend and arrest momentum. This win creates the knowledge about how to stop a teams momentum.

Last weeks “hold on” in the last 2 minutes was good, this weeks shut down was even better.

The Hawks chose / were forced to come into this game with a lack of size and a lack of gut runners.

After the emotion of the moment, my post was referring to our missed opportunities - we just kept shooting ourselves in the foot in that last quarter. Watto misses the 50 to end the third. Ginni misses from 5 metres directly in front. Moorey drops shot from a 30 snap. CMac doesn’t steady when he’s 30 out in the clear. Amon has a shot (behind would guarantee the win) and doesn’t score. Ginnivan slows down play only to kick it straight back to them. Results in a goalless quarter.

Don’t get me wrong this was a gutsy win by a young side who put everything on the line. We’ve also made significant improvements in holding up the play which is a joy to watch. If we lost the game, it was because we lost it - not because St. Kilda won it.

If anyone wonders where Dylan Moore got that mouse that was opened up in the 3rd quarter - Moore got it when Jimmy 'The Flog' Webster threw a cheap left hook into his right cheek at the 16.45 min of the 2nd quarter.

Moore assumed it was from hitting himself - head to his own arm - in the tackle I reckon.

It wasn't - it was an absolutely cheap king hit from Webster.

I hope they pick it up on review.

Webster was never like this previous to this year was he?

Besides that - great win today, maintaining the rage - love it!
I saw that cheap shot too but didn't link it to the cut eye. Dirty play, but D. Moore just getting on with it sets a great example.

After the emotion of the moment, my post was referring to our missed opportunities - we just kept shooting ourselves in the foot in that last quarter. Watto misses the 50 to end the third. Ginni misses from 5 metres directly in front. Moorey drops shot from a 30 snap. CMac doesn’t steady when he’s 30 out in the clear. Amon has a shot (behind would guarantee the win) and doesn’t score. Ginnivan slows down play only to kick it straight back to them. Results in a goalless quarter.

Don’t get me wrong this was a gutsy win by a young side who put everything on the line. We’ve also made significant improvements in holding up the play which is a joy to watch. If we lost the game, it was because we lost it - not because St. Kilda won it.
Those missed opportunities caused me to rant & rave.
Wiz can tap Howard on the bum, but if he doesn't convert it don't mean squat.
The Ginni miss was inexplicable.
I can excuse the Amon, Moore & Cmac misses, even if I do expect more (ie a score from Amon to tie the score). Moore has been our best shot at goal all year.
That Ginni slow the play down and bomb long was super frustrating. I expect him to learn from that if he didn't recognise it as a mistake at the time.

That being said, our newfound tenacity and hunt is so much better.

TLDR: Our pressure is much better and giving us a fighting chance.

Back in 02/03 a commentator once said that the hawks were so pre-occupied with losing their opponent that they were spending very little time hunting the opposition. That comment has always stuck with me.
We started this year with higher expectations than last year and it seemed like our hunt was way below par. It seems like we've had a mindset change of late and even though the Swans smacked us, they're a class outfit and our pressure was by and large consistently really good and has been since, as opposed to small patches previously.
If we can keep the pressure up I'm optimistic with how things will pan out for us.

Winning without Sicily was huge given what transpired last year, with Moore's leadership also fantastic.
Glad to see Meek being the player i always hoped he could be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Granted the opportunities you wrote about were there. But the Saints had similar opportunities and also failed to convert. When the game was up for grabs, and our boys were in front, it felt to me like we would not lose. That is premiesrship hardening.

Any team coached by Ross Lyon will be defensive. I think Sam Mitchell went toe-to-toe against Lyon in a defensive game plan, with a depleted tall list… and beat him at his own game.

The Saints should be challenging given their list profile…. Compared to the Hawks that have one of the youngest lists in the comp.

Agreed Vando that against a better team our boys need to nail the opportunities you outlined.
But I loved this win … because it was done… ugly.

Last edited:
Only watched the first 10 mins of the game so far (will watch the rest tomorrow, my time), but the first goal off a Day (was it?) tackle, Watson pick up and slick handpass to running CMac and slotting it through the middle of the big sticks was sublime - Hawks of old, I dare say. Can't wait to watch the game in full.

How many would have picked us to be 3 - 6 today, a few weeks ago?
Not many (myself included), but my betting account is looking healthier now ;-)

Copy of Gray Minimalist Special Moment Photo Collage A4 Document_20240512_053900_0000.png
What another massive game from our difference maker in the middle, big Meeky! Came up against another quality ruck in Rowan Marshall and was so influential in the win.

• 12 disposals
  • 8 tackles
  • 1 goal
  • 4 score involvements
  • 4 marks
  • 24 pressure acts
  • 46 hitouts
  • 14 hitouts to advantage

This bloke has been so crucial to our midfield since coming back in and continues to raise the bar each week!

Great team effort. Winning the close ones is real character building.

I thought Calsher Dear presented extremely well whilst he was on. Getting game time next to Jack Gunston and Blake Hardwick is going to do more for his development than playing at Box Hill. Putting the fist into a Hardwick mark was a rookie mistake, but love seeing him halve the contest.

Loved the games of Meek, Scrim, Moore, Dimma and Karl Amon

The midfield magically looks much better now Will Day is back.

Weddle and Mckenzie look like they are close to having break out games. Finn has his moments but would love to see him access another level of beast mode and get close to Jai's level of output. D'Ambrosio and Seamus will be sensational with another 20 games in them.

Ginnivan, Watson and Moore up forward is dynamite. If we can kick the set shots the game would have been over much earlier.

Spot on.

Both of you are right.
Despite the obvious mistakes, the playing group still held firm to hold onto victory. It was the win and the way it was won that was needed, imo. Those combination of mistakes should happen less and less as the group learns winning ways and not lazy or the easiest ways.

Putting the fist into a Hardwick mark was a rookie mistake, but love seeing him halve the contest.
I did laugh when he did this. The Lad had tunnel vision for the ball & put a damn fine spoil on Dimma. Obviously the lack of awareness that Dimma was about to mark it wasn't good but the way he spoilt the ball, golly this young lad could play all over the ground.
Keep your eye on him, he might be go alright 😉

I did laugh when he did this. The Lad had tunnel vision for the ball & put a damn fine spoil on Dimma. Obviously the lack of awareness that Dimma was about to mark it wasn't good but the way he spoilt the ball, golly this young lad could play all over the ground.
Keep your eye on him, he might be go alright 😉
On hardwick as well though.
Can blame calshers lack of peripheral vision, but where was hardwicks?

In that situation hardwick should've been calling the ball his given he should've known calsher was nearby

THIS.

I would hate to barrack for a Ross Lyon-coached team.

Every game would be about as exciting and rewarding as a testicle punch.
I would characterise it more like having your testicle slowly crushed in a vice. One boring twist per minute.

Nash only had 15 touches but it felt like he was in most of the contests. His form turnaround has been massive.
Game high pressure acts.
Close to game high tackle count.
Nash was huge in thwarting their movement out of contests.
Thought he played the ultimate inside defensive mid game.
One of our best this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back